It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dual Mind/Dual "Reality"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I have a theory that I have worked up in my mind. I am sure that this is not the first time that this has come up. One thing that I have lerned over the years in my research is that there is no such thing as an original thought. You cannot really concoct a theory that someone who has come before you hasn't already concocted.

Anyway, I got to thinking, it seems to me that we live in a dual "reality." What I mean is that there seems to be a split in the mind of man. There is the "waking conscious reality," and then there is the "sleeping subconsious reality."

With exceptions to lucid dreaming, which I can't say that I have ever experienced, one cannot differentiate between "waking consciousness," and "sleeping consciousness."

Here of late, I have been having dreams that seem almost as real as they would if I had experienced them during "waking consciousness." They have been getting more and more vivid over the last couple of months. I seem to be having encounters with people that aren't familiar to me.

However, my social and physical interactions with them seem and feel very real. If I touch them, I can actually "feel" their "flesh." It's weird. I wonder how many of the rest of you have been having dreams like this. I really haven't noticed it until recently.

I was just wondering, perhaps we are nothing more than minds that exist in two diametrically different "realities." Whe we are in our "waking consciousness," we become aware of one "reality," and when we are in are "sleeping consciousness," we become aware of another reality.

Anyone have any opinions on my idea or thoughts about what may be occurring to me for dreams to seem so real?

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Dreams can often feel real, and you wake up wondering if it really happened or not. It takes sometimes a lot of thought to realize it was only a dream. Usually the events that take place are too unlogical or ridiculous to be real. In any case if they are another reality it would be a quite strange world

However there is always a certain brain activity during dreams so they do happen in this reality.

[edit on 20-5-2007 by DarkSide]

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Darkside, well, I personally don't believe that consciousness resides in the brain so this comment

However there is always a certain brain activity during dreams so they do happen in this reality.
doesn't necessarily work for me. I don't view the brain as the originator of consciousness, but as a receiver of consciousness.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I can relate to these thoughts. Very nice thread. SoT.

Keep em comin, keep the ideas roll'n, but never forget the interconnected, interlated, mutual, and complemental attributes of existence :thmbup:

[edit on 30-5-2007 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal
I can relate to these thoughts. Very nice thread. SoT.

Keep em comin, keep the ideas roll'n, but never forget the interconnected, interlated, mutual, and complemental attributes of existence :thmbup:

[edit on 30-5-2007 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

Well, certainly it would be one mind, but, it just seems to me that the one mind is existing in two separate realities, if that makes sense.

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Correct me if I get this wrong but if the brain is the receiver of consciousness, is the soul the same as consciosness and the purveyor of memory?

If so , is it conceivable that during sleep, the soul returns to God and to a true reality, whereas the waking life is a constructed reality like the matrix?

So if you can have vivid dreams like those you described you are with a collection of souls that are taken back to God during sleep and then returned just before waking up? So you are interacting with different souls who are returning during sleep?

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Forgive me if I offend you, I apologize ahead of time. There is no soul and there is no God the way you speak of them.

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Thank you for being nice. But how did consciousness and language evolve. I posted a thread about this at ATS and did engender debate but no real answers.

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heronumber0
Correct me if I get this wrong but if the brain is the receiver of consciousness, is the soul the same as consciosness and the purveyor of memory?

If so , is it conceivable that during sleep, the soul returns to God and to a true reality, whereas the waking life is a constructed reality like the matrix?

So if you can have vivid dreams like those you described you are with a collection of souls that are taken back to God during sleep and then returned just before waking up? So you are interacting with different souls who are returning during sleep?

Heronumber, in reply to your first question, I'd have to say yes, assuming that you mean spirit when you say soul.

For your other questions, I have to say that I honestly do not know. To me, some of my dreams feel more real than what I experience in "waking consciousness."

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heronumber0
Thank you for being nice. But how did consciousness and language evolve. I posted a thread about this at ATS and did engender debate but no real answers.

It is my belief that consciousness and language are eternal and from the same conscious source, an eternal consciousness. If we look at languages throughout history and up to modern times, we can see a multitude of similarities not only in spelling but in the symbols used to describe things of different languages.

I don't believe it 'evolves' or 'de-evolves', rather we are re-membering the future as in the past it is diss membered. We are putting every thing back together while taking it apart

[edit on 31-5-2007 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   
“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.”
-Bill Hicks

I’ve often-times wondered if we’re not one consciousness both aware of itself on an individual scale, and aware on a more massive scale if for no other reason than because it is necessary for existence to take place. Rene Descartes said, “I think, therefore I am.” Perhaps, in order for the universe to be, it must realize that it infact is as a whole as well as an individual.

The reality we perceive is not the true nature of reality. Everything we see is energy-vibrations of varying frequency. Those different frequencies manifest themselves to our senses in certain ways, just like they react to the laws of nature in certain ways.

Your life is a filter necessary to perceive reality. The true nature of reality cannot be seen in his life because we are equipped with the wrong “equipment” to perceive it. I think it was Harlan Williams who, on the set of There’s Something About Mary, said, “It’s like you’re offering me cheddar when it’s clearly brie time, baby!”

But what does that tell us about your dreams? I’ve been a lucid dreamer now for about the last sixteen years due to a repetitive nightmare I had when younger. I listened to one good suggestive tape before sleep for about a month until I could do it on my own, and have periodically read books and flirted with meditation to further explore. I love it. I think the all-powerful feeling I can have in my dreams has lessened the pressure I always felt in waking life, and thus I’ve been more successful in waking life.

My dreams can be extremely realistic, something maybe even moreso than reality if that’s at all possible to understand. Who knows, sometimes your body is just ready to do certain things, even if you’re not trying. Your mind might just be ready to start lucid dreaming. Stranger things have happened.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Well, certainly it would be one mind, but, it just seems to me that the one mind is existing in two separate realities, if that makes sense.

Oh, it certainly does to me...

Unfortunately, it's too late right now for me to go any further, but I hope to be back. But just yesterday I "invited" people to discuss the possibilities of transferring one's "mainstream" consciousness - the one we have in THIS "here and now" - into a parallel "here and now". That should tell how I feel about your question...

This feeling of mine, that "I" am somehow living a parallel existence in a different space (perhaps even "time" - and no, I am NOT speaking about "past lives") occurred to me quite spontaneously, many years ago. It was not an idea - it was a feeling. The now so popular theories about the possibility of parallel existences only reaffirmed that deep intuitive feeling.

I am aware that you explicitly mentioned dreams, and my experience is not really about them - but I hope it helps somewhat.

top topics

join