It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Diamonds tell story of comet that killed the cave men

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Diamonds tell story of comet that killed the cave men

observer.guardian.co.uk

Scientists have determined that a 2-3km wide comet intercepted the earth 12,900 years ago. It disintigrated and turned the northern hemisphere into an inferno, killing off the large mammals including humans. This set back our road to civilization by thousands of years.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Could this have been intentional? Do you think the ETs aimed it at us to keep us primitive? Imagine the effect on our present day cultures; what are we humans doing to prevent this happening in the future? This also happened in 1908 in Tunguska, Siberia.

en.wikipedia.org...

observer.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-5-2007 by j_kalin]

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by j_kalin
Could this have been intentional? Do you think the ETs aimed it at us to keep us primitive?
I don't think so.

First, we need to have ETs around Earth at the time. Then we need them to see us as a threat (or any other thing that could trigger an action like that) and then the ETs should have the capability of provoking, triggering or altering a comet strike.

Not very likely.

Imagine the effect on our present day cultures; what are we humans doing to prevent this happening in the future? This also happened in 1908 in Tunguska, Siberia.
I don't think we can do anything, even with today's capacities a comet or meteor big enough to make some damge was only discovered after it had passed by Earth in 2006 or 2005, I am not sure.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   

...[T]he idea is still controversial and the theory is bedevilled by problems in obtaining accurate dates for the different events.

'We still have a long way to go,' admitted West. 'But we have a great deal of evidence, from many sites, so this is quite a powerful case that we are making.'

observer.guardian.co.uk...

The theory is very interesting and does seem to explain a lot, however, as the quote above states, it is still a controversial theory that needs time and more evidence to gain acceptance.

I think it's a little soon to start speculating about extra-terrestrial beings having a hand in such an event, especially since their is absolutely no credible evidence that such beings even exist.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Round about the same time as the end of the last Ice Age......

Hmm... the mind boggles.

After all, would we have necessarily become civilised quicker if it hadn't hit? (assuming your not an Atlantis believer) Maybe the comet strike did us a favour by spurring the end of the last ice age with a huge release of some greenhouse gas or some such?

Had to say whether we'd be 2000 years ahead or 2,000 years behind if it had hit....

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I dunno man. My take is the ice ages did us in more than anything else. True a rock that size would have been catastrophic, but how quickly would the environment have bounced back? Ice sheets are more permanent though...

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Maybe the comet strike did us a favour by spurring the end of the last ice age with a huge release of some greenhouse gas or some such?

In order for that to be true you have to prove the comet actually struck the earth as they think it did. As it stands now it is just a theory.

[edit on 5/20/2007 by shots]

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Hence the operative word Maybe

Just thinking aloud, is all.....

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
In order for that to be true you have to prove the comet actually struck the earth as they think it did. As it stands now it is just a theory.

I'm pretty sure that the proof of the event is the microscopic diamonds. What is at question is whether or not there is a causal link between the comet and the massive extinctions and climatic changes that are known to are known to have occurred.

[edit on 2007/5/20 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   
How does this theory explain the finding of mammoths and mastadons with food unchewed in their mouth frozen solid as if instatanious?With all of their fur intact I might add.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
The theory doesn't seek to explain every single death of every single animal extant at that time.

The examples you cite could have been caused by landslides or avalanches, completely unrelated and many years prior to the event in question.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

I'm pretty sure that the proof of the event is the microscopic diamonds. What is a question is whether or not there is a causal link between the comet and the massive extinctions and climatic changes that are known to are known to have occurred.

There is yet another question that needs answering the comet was believed to be only 2 to 4 km wide yet this layer of microscopic diamonds is spread out over 26 different sites that are thousands of km apart.

That being the case I would tend to think they have a charted diagram showing its believed path however they did not furnish it yet as potential proof.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Scientists will outline dramatic evidence this week that suggests a comet exploded over the Earth nearly 13,000 years ago, creating a hail of fireballs that set fire to most of the northern hemisphere.

I'm sure that there is plenty of evidence to be revealed that a newspaper article can't cover or hasn't yet been released.

Regardless, it will take years for the scientific community to reach a consensus on this matter and this will be only the beginning of the search for more evidence.

apc

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I would think someone would have recorded such an event. I am nowhere near educated enough in ancient writings, if only scribblings on a cave wall, but I would imagine the survivors would have had plenty to draw about.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
This was twelve thousand years ago and not sure anyone would be in a mood to do any artwork in the immediate aftermath of such a cataclysmic event.

If true, it sounds like mere survival would have taken up any spare time anyone had for recording events, especially when the invention of writing was still about six thousand years in the future.

apc

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Well, maybe someone in the southern hemisphere that only witnessed the event on the horizon.

But you're probably right. Looks like just a tad too early even for scribbles on a rock.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
But you're probably right. Looks like just a tad too early even for scribbles on a rock.
But not too early to be recorded on the development of the trees, of the surviving humans during the years of recovering, etc.

I think that an event of that dimension should have left other marks.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   

The scientists point out that archaeological evidence shows that early Stone Age cultures clearly suffered serious setbacks at this time. In particular, American Stone Age hunters, descendants of the hunter-gatherers who had migrated to the continent from Asia, vanished around this time.

As the article points out, there is plenty of evidence for what happened, what has been missing is a cause and that is where the comet comes in.

While the idea of a comet impact may seem far-fetched, Mr. Mitrovica notes that it took almost a decade before scientists accepted geologist Walter Alvarez's evidence that the iridiumrich layer he found pointed to the asteroid impact that killed off the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.

www.freerepublic.com...

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
As the article points out, there is plenty of evidence for what happened, what has been missing is a cause and that is where the comet comes in.
I had not read the article, thanks for pointing it to me.

Lets wait and see what this new theory looks like more in detail when they publish it, they may have details that were left out of this article that explain other things.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by j_kalin

Could this have been intentional? Do you think the ETs aimed it at us to keep us primitive? Imagine the effect on our present day cultures; what are we humans doing to prevent this happening in the future? (...)

No, they want to help us. Destruction was aimed at corrupt Atlantean civilization. So they say.

[edit on 20-5-2007 by 64738]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join