It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Masonic influence in religion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Recently I read that the founder of the Jehovah's Witnesses, Charles Taze Russel, was a mason and used masonic symbols in his publications. Also I I know that the Mormon Temple Endowment ceremony was heavly influenced by the masonic 3rd degree. Are there other examples of masonry influencing religious organizations? Are there good sources that document this?

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 11:47 PM
link   
There is alot of influence in religion from that perspective, when you take the bible and compare it all it does not sing the same.
This includes pyramids with eyes at the top on the walls or usualy above the dor of brand new churches that are bulilt, I have seen them around and it's no joke.
You will find this also on churches that are being redecorated, it's a redecoration of how people view things, sooner or later it will become acceptable because people don't get in to details, not every one has an ATS account or disscus such things.
Changing the view of what people beilive is posible, it just needs a bit of pubicity and it's done.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 12:00 AM
link   
IIRC Charles Taze Russell was not a Mason but held many meetings in rented Masonic halls and adopted the Masonic Knights Templar Cross and Crown symbol. Russell was more influenced by the Adventist movement.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 12:20 AM
link   
If i may say.. again not being a theologian.. Masonry is found in all tenets of religious idealisms. As far as the overall foundations are concerned...

I do not think for most ancient religions it was an influence persay however as expressed by masonic teaching .. themselves alluding to deeper meanings ... I think more so that masonry consolidates these tenets and expresses them in an universal manner ... Hence magnifies the truth as well as the real therof.

Again. Just and idea I offer.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I've read various accounts regarding Russell, some claiming him to have been a Mason others say he was not.

On it's "Famous Non-Masons" page, masonicinfo.com says the following:

"There is no credible evidence whatsoever that Charles Taze Russell, the founder of the Jehovah's Witness faith, was a Mason. Some have charged that his tombstone appears as a keystone (a symbol used in Royal Arch Masonry), that there appears on the stone a crown and cross and that the stone is in the shape of a pyramid. (Those who make the claim do so for their own ends ignoring the fact that the cross and crown have long been symbols of Christianity, that the pyramid is often used in one-dimension view to represent the Trinity etc.) A review of Russell's personal life would have likely found him unwelcome within a Lodge. A current author says of him "Russell's faults as a writer were perhaps the least of his shortcomings. Accusations of sexual and financial improprieties, for example, dogged him throughout his adult life. Russell's notorious difficulties with his long-suffering wife Maria, aired during a series of sensational libel, separation, and alimony suits near the turn of the century, became a particular source of embarrassment for both the pastor and his flock. (Russell's stature couldn't have been enhanced when a Pennsylvania judge concluded that his "continual arrogant domination" of his wife was enough to "render the life of any sensitive Christian woman a burden and make her life intolerable."4 This notwithstanding, Pastor Russell did, upon occasion, make reference to Masons. One internet supporter of Russell's regularly argues that Freemasonry was totally against the Preacher's philosophy but the argument he makes is based on his interpretation rather than facts. Those attempting to condemn Russell based on Masonic membership fail to produce any evidence of his membership (the name of his lodge or the names of lodges he ostensibly visited, for example) and his supporters use faulty logic in arguing against it. Russell is not mentioned in any Masonic reference works, a unique situation indeed if he were a Mason because of his notoriety.

Oh, and did we mention?: the "tombstone" that's so often referred to is actually a monument erected to Russell by the Watchtower Society which has regularly criticized Freemasonry. Pastor Russell's actual gravestone is a couple of dozen yards away.... "

The pictures of the monument and his marker as well as info on many others who were not actually Masons may be seen here:

www.masonicinfo.com...

top topics

join