It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun-tanning? Beware! Suns' Rays MAY be getting hotter!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Summer is around the corner.

For some of us in moderate climates, summer arrives earlier than what the calendar says.

I like to check out the weather channel before I start my day. You know...make sure to take an umbrella for the rainy days; wear appropriate clothing conducive to the temperature/environment, etc.

Yet, I've noticed a change that has ocurred within the last 10 years or so,

The Canada Environment UV Index has included an extra setting.

Before, there was the usual; LOW, Moderate, High & Very High.

Now, they have included after Very High - Extreme.

Has anyone noticed this as well?

UV Index Scroll to bottom

I'm glad that sun cream lotions are carrying a higher UV protection in their lotions:

Why are sun creams stronger?

Has Global Warming taken a hand in this?

Do tanners have to worry about anything?

I personally don't tan, however I know that it's essential to have some sunlight in our life to aquire the much needed vitamin D.

Are the suns' rays getting more concetrated folks?

[edit on 19-5-2007 by TheDuckster]

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Just be careful with sun creams since a lot of them contribute to skin cancer, not sun rays. Or you think millions of years of evolution was so retarded we develop cancer just being on the sun. Please...

[edit on 19-5-2007 by 64738]

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by 64738
Just be careful with sun creams since a lot of them contribute to skin cancer, not sun rays. Or you think millions of years of evolution was so retarded we develop cancer just being on the sun. Please...

[edit on 19-5-2007 by 64738]

Do you think we are receiving more concentrated UV rays of the sun, more than usual?

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
www.space.com...

In what could be the simplest explanation for one component of global warming, a new study shows the Sun's radiation has increased by .05 percent per decade since the late 1970s.

The increase would only be significant to Earth's climate if it has been going on for a century or more, said study leader Richard Willson, a Columbia University researcher also affiliated with NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies.

The Sun's increasing output has only been monitored with precision since satellite technology allowed necessary observations. Willson is not sure if the trend extends further back in time, but other studies suggest it does.

"This trend is important because, if sustained over many decades, it could cause significant climate change," Willson said.

In a NASA-funded study recently published in Geophysical Research Letters, Willson and his colleagues speculate on the possible history of the trend based on data collected in the pre-satellite era.

"Solar activity has apparently been going upward for a century or more," Willson told SPACE.com today.

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I knew it.!!!..and probably the general mainstream, that there has been increased activity regarding the suns' rays.

Therefore, the need for increased protection.

Thankyou Golack!

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I wouldn't reccoment naked sunbating in the rocky mountains. I have never had so many blisters in my life. Ever cooked a hot dog too long on the grill?...Now I take my SPF 30 (or liquid umbrella as I like to call it) everywhere. And I try not to fall asleep while sunning. I can manage a decent burn in under 2 hours on an overcast day in colorado. The pain was not the wort part, it was all the crap I got when I walked into work the next day.

The intensity of the sun rays knocks electrons off of your body's cells, and skin cancer is a definite possibility nowadays. Considering the destruction our planet has experienced on our behalf, it is simply returning the favor. Now I am wating for the intense series of storms our state will have, followed by wildfire season. Hold on, the ride's about to get bumpy.

top topics

join