It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese grandmother has a five inch horn growing out of her forehead

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   
i was just about to say that, jungle
but don't forget that some 'horns' are made of bone. i.e, deer antlers and many dinosaur's 'horns' (triceratops is a good example but there are plenty of others). rhino horns are just densely compacted hair. plenty of different materials go into species specific horns

this looks glued on to me, too. who would do that to their doddering old granny? lol

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Hahaha. That's sooo gross. See, I was about to image search "cutaneous horn" out of curiosity, but then I decided not to because I just ate.

What I don't get is why they refer to it as a medical phenomenon when clearly it's been diagnosed several times before.

But I guess when it gets that big and nasty... it's pretty phenomenal, haha.

...something I saw at the Mütter Museum in Philadelphia. The wax model shown in the photograph below is of a woman who had a "monstrous growth" on her forehead. It's hard not to be creeped out by such things today. Imagine how people would have reacted in a society that still believed in witches, demons, and spells!

www.kathylynnemerson.com...

Wow. What a sad life to have ... with a growing horn on your head ... wow.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 02:19 AM
link   
well...................on the bright side she could hang things from it to cheer herself up.
A pretty crystal maybe? Some nice little wind chimes?
It could be a very handy place to hand a teacup IMO.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 07:27 AM
link   
i take it all back, my mum used to work as at a nursing home and looked after a dementia sufferer who had an inch or so of horn growing from the left side of her temple. she said her and the rest of the girls at the home used to call it the devil'shorn because the old woman was a biter lol
medically i'mconfused though - i'd have thought that anomalies like this were throwbacks to unused or dormant genetic codes. but we've never had horns have we? ah, thinking about it now, we must have. we're *searches one of her books for the correct word* all descended from the first chordates, including every vertebrate on the planet - some of which have horns. so yeh, thinking logically it would be possible to get a genetic glitch like this.
just goes to show, you know nothing until you've done your research lol

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
I'm sorry, that horn does not look real at all. It looks glued on.

We love to deny ignorance but it helps if you know something about what you see before you dispel it as anything other than what it is. Which i think has now been cleared up further down. So I won't add to this any further.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Here's one for everyone....
Horn man

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
This seems to be some sort of natural but weird and unexplained physiological aspect of human beings.

I cant help but wonder if it could the basis of the origin of the depiction of the devil.

I cant imagine what people living in centuries past had to endure if they were unfortunate enough to be stricken by this aliment.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
whatever it is, she does'nt seem most pleased about it_javascript:icon('
')
_javascript:icon('
')

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   

there... much better!

now she reminds me of Cyril Sneer of the 'Racoons'.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   
i thought someone would've found the above pic funny

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Yeah, most guys will tell you that their mother-in-law is a demon, but I guess it's true in this case.

Nah, I'm just joking.

Pretty cool pic though.

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_sentinal
could be some kind of nephilim hybred or something like that...........very strange indeed. I dont think it's glued on because of the way the skin seems to puff up around the base of the horn.
Its puffy because Gorilla Glue puffs up when it dries.

Dont you people know these things?

Seriously though, there is a condition i think its called Acute Hornititis or something like that it makes people grow horns- but whats so unusual about this one is its usually a birth defect and they're removed, i dont know how grandma got it.

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
These do actually exist in real life. The Mutter museum of medical anomalies in Philly, PA, has a good specimen if I remember correctly. It's a type of cutaneous growth.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
i had one on my middle finger on my left hand, ugly f***in thing it was. looked like a spur from a snake. i got it surgically removed a few years back and thank god it hasnt came back.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Denied

It looks like a tumor, she should be having it looked at by a MD.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Just wondering if the horn has a "Made in China" stamp on it.

or would that just be redundant?

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Denied

ugh I feel sick looking at that, I just imagine it's soft gushy feel, just look at how filthy it looks, imagine if it brushed against your arm. That is disgusting.

[edit on 4-2-2010 by Raverous]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
If Chili's ever decides to open any restaurants in China, they've got the perfect spokesperson.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
The horn looks like is glue to the poor old lady forehead. Interesting to point out that we are seen an increased amound of weird news and photos coming from china lately.

Conspiracy? maybe.

I think we see all the weird stuff from china due to the amount of crap they have in the air and the pollution over there.

Maybe one of her parents was part unicorn? ;p

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Here is another story about an elderly Chinese lady growing a horn on her head. Reading about one was surprising, but two.....? Very odd.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ece16ad7750b.jpg[/atsimg]

Although, it is unknown what the protrusion is on Mrs Zhang’s head, it resembles a cutaneous horn.
This is a funnel-shaped growth and although most are only a few millimetres in length, some can extend a number of inches from the skin.
Cutaneous horns are made up of compacted keratin, which is the same protein we have in our hair and nails, and forms horns, wool and feathers in animals.
They usually develop in fair-skinned elderly adults who have a history of significant sun exposure but it is extremely unusual to see it form protrusions of this size.
The growths are most common in elderly people, aged between 60 and the mid-70s. They can sometimes be cancerous but more than half of cases are benign.
Common underlying causes of cutaneous horns are common warts, skin cancer and actinic keratoses, patches of scaly skin that develop on skin exposed to the sun, such as your face, scalp or forearms.
Cutaneous horns can be removed surgically but this does not treat the underlying cause.

[edit on 9-3-2010 by berenike]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join