It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where is your inner voice located?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Also, how can you hear your inner voice? We use our ears to hear our family and friends, what do we use to hear our inner voice?

Also, who decides what tastes good or smells good? My brother doesn't like pizza but I really like it. Are taste buds work the same way so who decides what to like and what to not like? Also with smells, I might like Polo Black cologne but someone else might think it stinks. We both smell through our noses so who decides wether a smell is liked or not?

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 06:12 AM
link   
wow great post, ive never thought of it like that before, how do we like some thing and some one doesnt. It tastes the same to both but one persons bud doesnt like it. I wunder if we do taste the same thing, because how would you tell ? lol

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I don't know what you mean by inner voice, but I do know that when you listen to yourself speak, it's not the same sound as someone else near you will hear. The only way to hear how exactly you sound when you speak is to record your voice and then listen to it.

As far as taste buds and sense of smell. i believe that you pick it all up when you're a kid, probably linked to emotions, as well. That's just my opinion though, I haven't really done any research on this subject.

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   
“Inner voice“ for example for smell is sited in your olfactory lobe.... receptors -sensing chemical molecules....

And we also have different taste for colors....sounds...we all have different genes - including genes for smell receptors.

Two people may not perceive a scent in the same way, though. Because we all have different genes, including genes for smell receptors, we each have our own combination of receptors, including those for phenyl ethyl alcohol. Each combination makes a different firing pattern in the brain--but we all call it "rose." (Well, sort of. This chemical is the "rose" in drugstore perfume.)

Complex aromas, like a genuine rose or the rose-scented perfume Joy, consist of many different odorant molecules. Therefore they trigger a variety of receptors, giving each of us a unique firing pattern that we can recognize, and name, with practice.

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Your inner voice is great because for some reason, no one outside it can understand that inner voice of yours.

Its the one thing that these nwo types want to control. People do not think only with there mind, and i thank God for this.

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by polomontana
Also, how can you hear your inner voice? We use our ears to hear our family and friends, what do we use to hear our inner voice

for myself, the innervoice is only brain synapses firing...as If
i were listening to another physical person speaking,
but i know full well that the vibration of my eardrums is not happening
so i Know the 'voice' is not coming from some other entity.

inner dialog or conscience are other terms which do not imply psychosis
as the term 'voices' does.

as far as individual tastes, likes & dislikes & how does one get them...
one factor could be 'association', like if you once got sick at an ammusement park
you might not want to repeat any number of things....crowds, lines of people, water fountain drinking, cotton-candy, hot-dogs, oily popcorn...

as time & exposures to these same things happen, your intellect reinforces
the select thing that made you sick and you either avoid or dislike whatever it was.
that idea goes for smells and other things too

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
As far as the taste/smell sensations go, everyone is genetically put together different. Not everyone has the same eye color, same texture/color of hair, in addition to not having the same size tongue or same amount of taste buds.

One person can have, say, 500 "salt" taste buds, and another could have only 300, so the person with less could stand "saltier" tastes.

In addition, yes, experience can have an impact on likes and dislikes aswell.

P.S. First post, yay...Hey!

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   
This is interesting, one thing i often believe is that the inner voice actually slows down your thinking while only really making it more solid and usually over analyzed, your mind is quite capable of almost instantaneous thought/choice etc, the inner voice generally tends to slow your thinking down due to the slowness of the spoken language, pure thought doesn't require language as we know it to understand things and requires little unnecessary over analyzing, strangely it's quite tricky to do this for long periods of time, like an old habit, still it obviously has its uses, another good thing would be reading visually and understanding the text instead of reading it with the inner voice, it is possible and I think some people read this way, you can trick this understanding of text without the inner voice by using the inner voice and placing a random sound for each word you read, like la laa la la etc, try it.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Never really gave any thought to this matter! Mostly when I read to myself, and or think to myself its asif a narration of what I read is being put thru my head! Crazy stuff!

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by just theory
This is interesting, one thing i often believe is that the inner voice actually slows down your thinking ...

another good thing would be reading visually and understanding the text instead of reading it with the inner voice, it is possible and I think some people read this way,...

you've made 2 points ...
1 of which i thought Not to mention, i.e. inner voice= slow brain function

i sorta think that when most of the population read the words in a book,
then 'listen' to their own self generated 'Narriator' speak the words as would a storyteller....Not because we are 'slow' brained but because that is the way the actual/real world operates and we are 'recreating' the total atmosphere (in our brain landscape)
when discovering a new story as if it were actually 'spoken' by a storyteller.

i sorta feel sorry for the people that don't have their own individual & personal 'Narriator'
...but instead gulp huge ammount of words into condensed 'ideas'...........which is idealized as 'speed reading' in this productivity oriented corporate culture.

I will always stay a 'remedial reader' / one who hears a voice, out of choice, as i found the 'speed-reading' inner mind quite devoid of personality or human 'texture' ~

thanks,

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 10:35 PM
link   
i think the inner voice comes from the 5th dimension
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 08:45 AM
link   
What a wonderful set of questions!

Originally posted by polomontana
Also, how can you hear your inner voice? We use our ears to hear our family and friends, what do we use to hear our inner voice?

A very interesting question. There's several differnt kinds of "hearing" for these inner voices. One is where the information is processed through the hearing centers and language centers of your brain, and there is a sense that you've heard someone saying words.

I've seen some other research that indicates the kind of "subconscious, gut feeling" type of inner voice is actually connected to your digestive system!

I'll try to find some links later on... I'm in a bit of a hurry right now.

Also, who decides what tastes good or smells good? My brother doesn't like pizza but I really like it. Are taste buds work the same way so who decides what to like and what to not like?

Another excellent and deep question... it appears to have something to do with body chemistry. Although the taste buds work the same way, the number of different receptors you have vary from person to person. Smell is also a big part of this, so taste changes with your ability to smell.

Also with smells, I might like Polo Black cologne but someone else might think it stinks. We both smell through our noses so who decides wether a smell is liked or not?

I'll answer more fully when I have a bit more time. Some of it is associative memory (smells can be linked to old memories), some of it is physiology (the sensitivity of your smell receptors.) There's a lot of research being done on this... I'll give you some good links within the next day or so.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Thats a realy good point! ive often wondered the same with colours. IF i see a tree i know ts green. somebody else might lok at it and yeah its green.. but is green something different to them? There would be know way of finding out really would there?

As for the inner voice.. i dont know about other people but mine isnt my own voice. If im reading a thread.. i can hear it as if someones reading it to me but it is not a 'voice' as such.. its really strange to describe. Which leads me to a question... where is the inner voice located?... damn!

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by just theory
another good thing would be reading visually and understanding the text instead of reading it with the inner voice, it is possible and I think some people read this way, you can trick this understanding of text without the inner voice by using the inner voice and placing a random sound for each word you read, like la laa la la etc, try it.

LOL that's hard! imagine if you could read visually without the narrator, you could simply look at the page and know exactly what each word means. I think in a way, the subconscious does this but we are not privy to it.

There is a great article on the inner voice and how it works, and also how it came to be... here:
www.pathwaytohappiness.com...
basically says the voice originates from memory and logic, so our innervoice is like an echo from our memory saying "don't do this because remember what happened last time".

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Great thread and good points all around. I am wondering how many of you hear a voice nearly all of the time? To the best of my knowledge I only hear a narrator voice as I form words in my head to write, speak, or read.

From the linked article above mine it made it sound like its a voice you hear all the time guiding you to do right vs. wrong in order to have happiness.

Looks over sholder for an angel on one side and a devil on the other

PS: And my narrator voice sounds how I hear my actual voice (not how it sounds recorded) I wonder how many hear another different voice.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
Thats a realy good point! ive often wondered the same with colours. IF i see a tree i know ts green. somebody else might lok at it and yeah its green.. but is green something different to them? There would be know way of finding out really would there?

This is something i have thought of for a very long time, Years infact. I often wondered if things would be different if i could look through someone elses eyes and brain for a day. Would colours be different, Would light be different? These are questions i suppose could never be answered

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   
When I read the written word, my inner voice is like someone's taken a narrator and sped up his voice, to keep up with my reading speed. Depending on how fast I read, his voice speeds up and slows down.

When I write, I start out "hearing" my own voice reading the words, but if I'm writing fiction, that effect generally disappears. It is replaced by a radio-like staging of what I'm writing, voiced by the characters, with description read by a narrator.

When I think, I usually have an undertone or -current of my voice narrating what's going on in past tense. Over that is a blur -- it's similar to a school of fish swarming around a common point -- of thought. One or two thoughts take precedence, and they stretch into chains of thought. Other thoughts stay in the background, and the occasional image pops up, typically in bright colour.

When I speak, I occasionally am inspired to say a particular thing. Mostly, it comes from one premeditated statement, which I then follow up on with unpremeditated statements.

I hear "a" voice almost constantly -- usually narrating my thoughts. Sometimes, the voice multiplies into two or three, usually so I can argue a topic out with myself. Normally, though it's just my voice narrating my thoughts.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
the part where your confused about why some ppl like somethings that others hate its simpl the brain is personlized for you and only you so you may like pizza thats you but your bro hates it thats him

and as for the inner vioce thats hard i have troble trying to find where i hear it

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I've heard much about this 'inner voice' from friends over the years. I can replay music to the note in my head, and even replay conversations as if I were hearing them again, full with background noises... but I've never heard a voice within myself... to me, the notion of hearing a voice in your head is slightly disturbing...

for those of you who can hear this 'voice', please tell me you do control what it says...

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 09:12 AM
link   
sometimes I have had very real aural hallucinations when waking up from a sleep paralysis state. The voices were in my head but they sound very real.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join