It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MPs vote themselves exemption from Freedom of Information law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 01:45 AM
link   

MPs vote themselves exemption from Freedom of Information law

news.independent.co.uk

Britain's fledgling open government laws were delivered a serious blow yesterday when MPs, backed by government ministers, voted to grant themselves a blanket exemption from the legislation. The move was roundly condemned by freedom of information campaigners and MPs opposed to the measure, who said it represented an attack on democracy.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 01:45 AM
link   
This is a bad day for the UK.

Is gordon Brown already setting the tone for his leadership. Unfortunatly i think so.

news.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 02:24 AM
link   
This does not surprise me at all. Accountability seems to be a dirty word in government, from the local to national level.
In the private sector we are measured on performance and if we don't make the grade we don't get the rewards. In both local and national government, performance is trumped by adherence to the party line and butt kissing.
The way in which the government spends our money is criminal and it seems to be done with little or no oversight, leading to contracts being awarded to big companies who have previously under-performed and over-charged. Every time some mess actually get's exposure in the press we are then told "lessons have been learned". Well that's ok then, £Millions squandered/wasted but they now know they screwed up so no need for anyone to lose their job

Heck, if it's something really bad they'll just classify it as a National Security issue and slap a "D" notice on the press, burying the info for 30 years or more.

The arrogance and disregard for the law shown by the government is astounding. If they want to know so much about me then it's only fair, as I pay their wages and finance their crazy schemes, that I know what they are up to.

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 05:15 AM
link   
read what the bill is.

its protecting what you say to your MP due to a case in Reading where a harassment victim was named under the Freedom of information law. The person accused was able to find out "who said what". It put her in danger. This is what the bill is protecting.

Deputy speaker even said that allowances would still be made public. And lets not forget that this hasn't gone through the Lords yet, so its not law.

join