It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A future uncertain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I'm opening this topic to discuss the future of mankind. I've been reading lots of Asimov's SF lately and I find it very interesting.

How do you imagine our distant future?

Where will we be in 500 years? a 1000? 10 000? more?

Will we colonize the whole milky way or will we be extinct before the end of the century? If we colonize other worlds certain populations might evolve into totally different human species, or will that be prevented by bioengineering?

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Great thread!

.....definitely: genetic - robotic -nanotehnology

more time - creativity ... maybe...

* o boy was this Asimov genius ... today laws on robots are written according to Asimov:

Asimov on future - Video

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSide
If we colonize other worlds certain populations might evolve into totally different human species, or will that be prevented by bioengineering?

On the contrary, i think that we will use genetic engineering to the fullest: why don't create humans blood more tolerant to methane for example in atmosphere on certain planets, or with different bone density, or with sonar system of vision....we have all the variety of species on Earth, with different abilities to survive in different Eco systems.

Don't think that all humanity will collectively transfer to some other planet - many will live in huge orbital stations ....

We, as are in this moment of history - soon will be called “old ones“.

* (( don't want here to go dangers of such future, coz it suits more on science forum ))

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by blue bird
On the contrary, i think that we will use genetic engineering to the fullest: why don't create humans blood more tolerant to methane for example in atmosphere on certain planets, or with different bone density, or with sonar system of vision....we have all the variety of species on Earth, with different abilities to survive in different Eco systems.

I once saw a program about how we would colonize new planets. They showed a colony ship leaving the solar system with the settlers kept alive by cryogenics. They explained how we would bio-engineer humans to have 4 arms (the legs replaced by a new pair of arms) so they would be perfect crewmen. However I don't think it will come to that because I believe artificial gravity and some kind of hyperspace travel will be possible and robots are the way to go

top topics

join