It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do I get IDed?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Today I was IDed yet again for alcohol. The legal age to purchase is 18 and I'm 23! :bnghd:This happens so much, but there is no form of ID I can carry except my passport, as I don't drive and am not a student. It's pretty humiliating to be turned away in a store too. If I was 18 it would be 5 years to get to my age, which is more than a 1/4 of an 18 year olds lifetime!:bash: I was also IDed for cigarettes on my 21st birthday, when the legal age is 16!
Grr, It's all the chavvie kids I swear, making shopkeepers pananoid. I don't know wether I look young or what, but what to do, appart from carry my
passport. *grumble*
Come to think of it, I was wearing a hoodie. I hate fascists

I hate chavvies too, it's all their fault!

[edit on 18-5-2007 by Xeros]

SR

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I hate it as well it's so embarrasing and especially when you have to rumble through your pockets to find your wallet or cards to show them and then you'll see some blantent underage kid get away with it
It's annoying when sometimes you have to argue with the people who look at the card i once had to tell them my address while they were reading the card and say i had a haircut

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
People love control.

I never had a problem though and I buy the hardest alcohol around.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I dunno. Yeah it's humiliating, but you could take it as a compliment. Someday you'll get to an age (like me) when they finally stop carding you (they stopped carding me around 35). Then you'll be hurt and insulted that you no longer look young enough for the clerks to care.

The first time I bought wine and wasn't ID'd I felt so very, very old ...

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
I dunno. Yeah it's humiliating, but you could take it as a compliment. Someday you'll get to an age (like me) when they finally stop carding you (they stopped carding me around 35). Then you'll be hurt and insulted that you no longer look young enough for the clerks to care.

The first time I bought wine and wasn't ID'd I felt so very, very old ...

Well I certainly see your point. If I had my work clothes on (shirt, tie and smart shoes) I don't think that I would have a problem, It's very much your apperance I think, which aint too good because I'm very casual. It is satisfying once you show them ID too. I'm sure by the time I'm 30 it won't be a problem lol. You are lucky to look young at that age, I'm not sure if a male would be IDed at 30 let alone 35, but at my age now it does not seem too much of a compliment. I want to look manly! lol woest me. I'm sure it's the hoodie casual thing though. Silly kids, cramping my style

(I hope that doesn't some across sexist or anything btw)

[edit on 18-5-2007 by Xeros]

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I bought my first bottle of vodka underage (My height makes me look older, at 15 I was 6 foot 2 and now it's like 6'3), Vodka wasn't for me (I hate the stuff) but for friends, I am now 22 yrs old and I get Id'd for CIGARETTES last week in Asda (Walmart in US) and "damn" I didn't have it on me.
It's ok I pass about 5 newsagent's on my way home so I had a choice, but thats not the point, I don't look 15 any more, I understand if it's for alcohol all the super stores do it now if their not sure of your age but it was cigarettes and the girl was younger than me...
:bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Ok so your not able to buy ya fags 'n' booze, and the only ID that you have is your passport. Really you don't want to lose that, cos that's a huge pain in the bottom.

But here's the alternative a nationalized ID card system with biometric infromation, that everyone has to have and everyone has to carry.

Oh no we don't want that to happen do we, and with reports of more cameras going up all the time, they the freaky powers that be will know where you are and what you are doing all the time.

At least they can keep an eye on the Chavs!

my tip: Get your Fags 'n' booze from the same place often enough so they know you and always be friendly to the staff.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xeros I'm sure by the time I'm 30 it won't be a problem lol.

Don't be too surprised. A couple of years ago, I got carded while buying cigarettes. Cigarettes!! Legal age to buy cigs here is 18 - lol ----21 for alcohol.

I was 40 freaking years old, and probably old enough to be the girls father. lol

Another time when I was still in my 30's I went to buy some things at a grocery store. I was going to pay by credit card. They asked for identification. So I pull out my drivers license and show it to them, even though it is not normal here for stores to require identification for credit card purchases. The cashier tells me that my license is expired, so I can't pay by credit card. I explain that I knew full well that it was expired, and I don't drive. So therefore I had no pressing reason to renew it any time soon. I just put my license away and walked out.

It must be some kind of power trip that some of these people are on...

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32
I was 40 freaking years old,

Wow Mechanic I thought you were in High School.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR

Originally posted by Mechanic 32
I was 40 freaking years old,

Wow Mechanic I thought you were in High School.

Nah, I'm getting to be an old fart.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   
i think its a compliment! hey u look young its a good thing in the long run

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Ok, I used to work in corner shops and convenience stores as manager, and maybe i can shed some light on this for those in the US.

By law you have to card people till they are over 30. Cause if you get caught selling to a minor, you lose your liquor license, job, and probably go to jail. The law has stated it's the clerks responsibility to police minors, which is rather funny considering that most clerks barely have a college degree and can't do simple math. What makes it worse is the government sends in agents to see if you actually card or not... and if you don't card, you get ticketed and taken to jail. Now some places here take that rule very seriously so they will card you every time... but not everywhere. At the store I used to manage, if you knew the customer, you didn't card them anymore.

And here is the piece of da la resistance... to sell alcohol in the US you only have to be 18 (to buy it you have to be 21), and to sell cigs you have to be 16 (to buy you have to be 18). And you can get in the same kind of trouble if someone is under those ages sells to a completely legal adult.

It's all crazy.

[edit on 23-5-2007 by JessicaS]

top topics

join