It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: Vitamins tied to prostate cancer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
WASHINGTON (AP) -- There's more worrisome news about vitamins: Taking too many may increase men's risk of dying from prostate cancer.

Link

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I take one a day mens vitamins to be healthy then I hear this. This is very discouraging. Its hard to tell what is good or bad for you nowadays.

Edited for spelling..

[edit on 18-5-2007 by Digital_Reality]

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Here's the key phrase from that article.

"Here's the twist: Overall, the researchers found no link between multivitamin use and early-stage prostate cancer.

The researchers speculate that perhaps high-dose vitamins had little effect until a tumor appeared, and then could spur its growth."
----

I take up to 10 different vitmains/supplements per day. There is TONS of evidence and studies to back up the many positive aspects of taking vitamins and supplements.

I feel any benefits are often downplayed by corporate media. Big pharm doesn't profit from vitamins/supplements. Keeping yourself healthy takes $$ away from big pharma. They don't want that.

But be mindful of where you buy your vitamins. Do you know that Centrum chewables contain aspartame?

The bottom line is common sense. Use them in moderation - get blood tests regularly done to make sure everything is running smooth.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Very true. It is funny that they do studies like this and public say that vitamins could cause cancer and all night on TV you see commercials for drugs that cause crazy side affects and ruin liver function but they don't talk about that. You would think they would spend more time studying drugs like Paxil,Vioxx and other horrible drugs and warn of the dangers of the real problems.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality
Very true. It is funny that they do studies like this and public say that vitamins could cause cancer and all night on TV you see commercials for drugs that cause crazy side affects and ruin liver function but they don't talk about that. You would think they would spend more time studying drugs like Paxil,Vioxx and other horrible drugs and warn of the dangers of the real problems.

LOL very true. I saw one of them last night, actually, for some antidepressant. Those always crack me up. I have a friend who suffers from being bipolar. She tried several different meds awhile back and she would show me the little warning pamplets that came with the prescription. The possible side effects always amazed me. One of them had "sudden death" as a side effect... but keep in mind that was also "extremely rare."
Yeah, no thanks.

Most drugs like that treat a problem, but they don't focus on fixing the problem from starting in the first place.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
It just goes to show YOU have to look after yourself and research. I'm trusting Doctors less and less nowadays. Thank goodness for the Internet because now I can pretty much get the real info on about any condition or drug and pretty much diagnose myself on simple things so I don't walk out of my doctors office with a script for Prozac for heartburn because my doctor says the chest pain is stress. Ive actually caught my doctor leaving the room and looking up symptoms on the net to diagnose me?? Hell I can do that and save myself a $35 copay.

But back on topic, lesson here I guess is take everything with a grain of salt.. and try not to be misled like sheep when they say" don't try to be healthy it could be bad for you. Instead take this other pill that will cause anal bleeding and seizures and be happy".

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I agree. Although in a way it's sad that I don't trust going to the doctor. But, my father was just in for an extended stay at the hospital for a pretty serious condition and they've done well with getting him back on his feet.
I'm thankful for that.

But yes, a doctor walking into the other room to look up symptoms online is ridiculous. lol. Wow, i wonder if that could be grounds for malpratice?
I had higher blood pressure not that long ago. The doctor would have written me a script for something that would have worked fairly well, i'm sure. Although, i managed to lower my bp by adjusting my diet and lifestyle. Which is nice.

What gets me with modern health trends, is that one week something's good for you - the next it's awful. Two years later it's good for you again.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Digital - if you're really interested in this sort of thing, check this link.

www.knowledgeofhealth.com...

...and anyone else out there who might be curious

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Nice find,Thank you! This pretty much confirms that story was crap.
I saw this story on FOX news also yesterday. How misleading.

The ones I take are 1 a day mens with lycopene to thwart Colin cancer. That with a healthy diet has served me well so far.

[edit on 18-5-2007 by Digital_Reality]

top topics

join