It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mormon Temple Ceremony is this real or fiction?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Thank you brotherforchrist,

I have not been through the temple myself but most of my buddies have. My father and mother had also.

I have been reading everything I could to try and understand those old devils. That really helped out. My roommate commented that the outline and most of the words are right, I don't know if I trust his memory that well. That is a lot to take in in such a short time.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Yes Smith borrowed heavily from Freemasonry, I would be interested to hear from some Mormons on this, although I don't believe that they can speak about what goes on in Temple, and I have heard that they are less than truthful when it comes to revealing temple ceremony.Also I have read that they believe that Jesus and Lucifer are brothers.I also would like to know the reason that they wear the special Mormon underwear. Bear in mind I am not passing judgment on their religion, I am just curious as to what their theology is , as it is kept pretty secret generally.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by angryScientist
Thank you brotherforchrist,

I have not been through the temple myself but most of my buddies have. My father and mother had also.

I have been reading everything I could to try and understand those old devils. That really helped out. My roommate commented that the outline and most of the words are right, I don't know if I trust his memory that well. That is a lot to take in in such a short time.

No problem, we are all here on these boards to learn,I lurked for a long time before I began posting, and it seems that in the past few months the intellectual aspect of the boards has gone way up, and the flame baiting and nonsense has gone down considerably.I have always liked the aspect of the boards having a scholarly presentation of facts, beliefs, and opinions, and the fact that even people who ave dissimilar beliefs/ belief systems for the most part are respectful and accepting of others and their rights here.

The outside world could learn a lesson.

edited for grammar

[edit on 18-5-2007 by brotherforchrist]

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Mormon's ARE Christians.

The correct name is: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

I define Christian as one who believes Christ is the only true savior - who died on the cross for our sins - is baptised in his name - etc.

There are Thousands of Christian sects - - - - with varying degrees of beliefs.

Nitpicking - - "I'm more Christian then you" - - - is just ridiculous.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by brotherforchrist
Yes Smith borrowed heavily from Freemasonry, I would be interested to hear from some Mormons on this, although I don't believe that they can speak about what goes on in Temple, and I have heard that they are less than truthful when it comes to revealing temple ceremony.Also I have read that they believe that Jesus and Lucifer are brothers.I also would like to know the reason that they wear the special Mormon underwear. Bear in mind I am not passing judgment on their religion, I am just curious as to what their theology is , as it is kept pretty secret generally.

There is nothing secret about the Mormon belief.

To go to the temple you have to be in good standing - - following all the beliefs - - and have a recommend from your Bishop.

Its just that the temple is regarded as sort of sacred for those willing to do the work to be at the top level of their belief.

It just makes it special - - there is nothing weird about it.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   
There are too secrets to the Mormon beliefs - one, no "outsider" is usually allowed to enter their temples. My uncle is one of them, he always avoids the subject of what goes on in the temple. That's a weird group of people there. As for considering them Christians, I wouldn't, they're more like a cult. They only associate within their group predominantly. The only reason my uncle talks to us is because we're family; to him we are "outsiders" and not worthy. I think most Mor(m)ons from the experiences I have had with them believe in this philosophy. I understand that my uncle lost his "high" position in the cult because he didn't meet the tithing limit (10%); so how can you say they are Christians when money determines who is a leader? The leaders of that church call themselves "prophets" but they contradict each others teachings and in many cases their own teachings; and not to mention they put the Book of Mormons ahead of the Bible, something the Bible forbids if I'm not correct, so how can these people be Christians? It's all just a popularity contest to them.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisJr03
There are too secrets to the Mormon beliefs - one, no "outsider" is usually allowed to enter their temples. My uncle is one of them, he always avoids the subject of what goes on in the temple. That's a weird group of people there. As for considering them Christians, I wouldn't, they're more like a cult. They only associate within their group predominantly. The only reason my uncle talks to us is because we're family; to him we are "outsiders" and not worthy. I think most Mor(m)ons from the experiences I have had with them believe in this philosophy. I understand that my uncle lost his "high" position in the cult because he didn't meet the tithing limit (10%); so how can you say they are Christians when money determines who is a leader? The leaders of that church call themselves "prophets" but they contradict each others teachings and in many cases their own teachings; and not to mention they put the Book of Mormons ahead of the Bible, something the Bible forbids if I'm not correct, so how can these people be Christians? It's all just a popularity contest to them.

Always love the Out Siders looking in.

It always amazes me how Non-Mormons - - think they are experts on the subject.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Always love the Out Siders looking in.

It always amazes me how Non-Mormons - - think they are experts on the subject.

I hear ya ! They do the same with the Masons.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   
brotherforchrist - - - you seem to be sincere in your quest for knowledge.

Read this site: home.utah.edu...

QUOTE FROM SITE: This document was originally written by a NON-Mormon irritated by hearing the same questions over and over. It is NOT to be taken as Mormon Church doctrine. Only the leaders can speak for the Mormon Church, and not all of them can. This is solely my personal opinion, *I* surely don't speak for the members of any Church, much less the Mormon Church.

NOTE: . . . . the answer to the garment question is in your original postings

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   
hmmmmmm - gee - let me think.

Wasn't one of Christ's most important messages - - about tithing and taking care of the poor?

Imagine a Christian church taking that literally and making it a top priority. For shame!

By the way - - only those it the very top leadership and perhaps a secretary or 2 of the Mormon church receive a salary. ALL other positions are voluntary.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisJr03
It's all just a popularity contest to them.

...if you want to know just how deep the "popularity contest" goes, you should try living in Utah, or try to imagine being raised amongst them. it is a difficult social climate, to say the least.

i scanned over the posting of the endowment session, and from the massive amount of studying i have done, it appears to be mostly correct. i have been obsessed about this particular subject for more than 10 years now...ever since i made the decision NOT to enter into the temple for myself.

the mormon version of the gospel of christ (and plan of salvation) has been the single source of deep pain and inspiration in my life. it has destroyed my family, and has also brought me ineffible spiritual insight. there are many deep messages in the text which have application to a unified theory of physics and the true nature of the universe. in my mind it is the perfect parable, which describes the place where science and spirituality unite. it is NOT merely mumbo-jumbo rhetoric. it is also well beyond the scope of freemasonry.

i neither encourage rejecting it, nor pondering it too heavily. the first will leave you empty-handed, and the second might drive you mad. move on, move on.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Or you could try living in the Deep South where Baptist is the popularity contest.

Or you could try living in the Mid East where Muslim is the popularity contest.

Or you could try living in Spain where Catholic is the popularity contest.

Utah - - the #1 major Mormon settlement - - shocking that it is filled with and run by Mormons.

Oh well - - so is Las Vegas.

Geeze - - I just don't get how another's belief can be so devastating to anyone's life - - - except those who seem to think Religion is Politics.

Emotions are Internal by-the-way - - - - so whatever you are feeling - - is coming from You - - not an outside source.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by tgidkp
it is NOT merely mumbo-jumbo rhetoric. it is also well beyond the scope of freemasonry.

could you elaborate on that? particularly the "scope?"

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
It is kind of surprising just how much metaphysic type belief is part of original Mormon doctrine.

I personally find it very sad - - my opinion is - - Mormons are moving away from these original teachings - - and more toward Fundamental Conservative Christian.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
....Or you could try living in the Deep South where Baptist is the popularity contest....

i have lived many places, and the social climate in Utah is a particularly insidious one. perhaps you will just have to take my word?

Geeze - - I just don't get how another's belief can be so devastating to anyone's life - - - except those who seem to think Religion is Politics.

beliefs are the only things in the world worth dying for...and are incredibly devastating.

Emotions are Internal by-the-way....

oh dear. it appears to me that you must think i'm stupid.....i will not be fielding any more of these types of comments. a potentially valuable thread should not be wasted.

dkp

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I found this interesting.......

www.thechristianexpositor.org...

I asked a Mormon lady out on a date once and she told me that she only dated Mormons. Whaaa.............?

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist

Originally posted by tgidkp
it is NOT merely mumbo-jumbo rhetoric. it is also well beyond the scope of freemasonry.

could you elaborate on that? particularly the "scope?"

the mormon temple endowment and the teachings of freemasonry are identical in many important ways. it is true that Joseph Smith participated in freemasonry, way back in the day.

WARNING: opinion follows...

by 'scope', i refer to the concept that freemasonry, as it exists today, is a doctrine of mind-control and enslavement which stems from the darkest corners of history. in contrast, the intent of the endowment is freedom of the mind from the tyranny of men.

but both of them are depictions of the structure of the human soul (and thus universe). freemasonry teaches the ancient method of building the temple of god. mormonism teaches that "YOU are the temple of god."

>>>>>

i am going to bed now...

dkp

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   

[edit on 18-5-2007 by Annee]

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I've done quite a bit of research on the LDS faith and find it quite fascinating.

I have a Mason friend who once was a temple worker and gave me a copy of a type-script of the endowment ceremony as well as the "second annointing" I'll have to dig those out and see how they compare with the OP's posts.

For those interested, this site is very informative:

www.lds-mormon.com...

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Was Joseph Smith a Mason?

www.signaturebookslibrary.org...

I must confess though - - - that like every church - - - I have been to many different Mormon wards. Groups of people differ no matter what the religion.

I have been to Catholic churches that are warm - friendly and inviting. I've been to Catholic churches that had an arrogant air - were cold and unfriendly.

This is the same for Mormon wards. The doctrine should be the same - - - the People are not always.

You will find some more liberal - and some more tightly knit.

Its more human nature - - then it is any religious belief.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join