It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shipwreck Yields Estimated $500M Haul!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- Deep-sea explorers said Friday they have mined what could be the richest shipwreck treasure in history, bringing home 17 tons of colonial-era silver and gold coins from an undisclosed site in the Atlantic Ocean. Estimated value: $500 million.

A jet chartered by Tampa-based Odyssey Marine Exploration landed in the United States recently with hundreds of plastic containers brimming with coins raised from the ocean floor, Odyssey co-chairman Greg Stemm said. The more than 500,000 pieces are expected to fetch an average of $1,000 each from collectors and investors.

''For this colonial era, I think (the find) is unprecedented,'' said rare coin expert Nick Bruyer, who examined a batch of coins from the wreck. ''I don't know of anything equal or comparable to it.''

Though the shipwreck was found in a lane where many colonial-era vessels went down, the report says that there is still some uncertainty about its nationality, size and age. The site is beyond the territorial waters or legal jurisdiction of any country.

Any takers here? Relax. The Atlantic Ocean is a huge place! You don’t have a chance!

Cheers!

www.nytimes.com...

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
It's mine, the coins are all mine!

Right that's the inflatable parrot sorted, now where's my eye patch. We'll take um back the old fashioned way.

Who's with me?

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.

join