It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foods that dont go off

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I am making a BOB and was wondering what sort of foods will last at least five years or more as I dont want the kit to be a hassle.
Also if anyone would like to add me on msn to discuss survival preperation send me a message that includes you ms address.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Cocktail shrimp, 5 years worth.

Freeze dried and dehydrated foods will last. No moisture, no problem.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Food is one of those things discussed in depth on the ATS survival forums. We never have come to an agreement on the best way to go. its a very personal issue. You can never go wrong with fruit cake, and in a pinch you can build a house out of it.
Seriously tho check it this site.
Long Term food knowledge
There are other ways to go but MRE is what I baleav in. they served me well in the military and there a proven system.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Impossible to say - there are too many variables at play. Canned goods, dried goods and jar goods can easily last 5 to 7 years if stored properly. That being said, I doubt that you'll be able to store them properly if you're on the move bugging out. MREs are great and typically last 5 or more years. Freeze dried or dehydrated goods are very nice as they are lightweight because they lack water and store for very long periods.

Do a Google search and you will finds tons of info.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
MRE's. Some on the forum like to talk them down but....

Why? They are portable, do not require water for the entres as they are wet packed. Long shelf lives measured in years if kept in cool environemnts. and over the internet they are cheap often as low as 2.50 an entree.

For our home based survival pack we keep a 18 day supply for 10 people.
Its easy to grab what you need for you b/o bag if we have to go.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I have a recipe taken from a survival book somewhere for making high-octane canned rations...basically a mixture of nuts and dried fruit (for protein) oatmeal (for carbs) brown sugar (for the instant energy boost) and a good dash of lard (for fats)

I've not tasted the end result, and it may not be the healthiest in terms of sheer calorific value, but it's hard to beat as a portable long-term resource and a few cans would be enough to keep you going until you found a more consistent food supply

new topics

top topics

join