It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harry Houdini : The Man, The Myth, The Spy, The Secret Service Agent

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas
Okay, so maybe you got lost in the last that I was comparing the Secret Service of Houdini's day to the other spy agencies, which are in our day and age. If I wasn't specific enough, then I apologize.

No need to apologize, it was my misread and misinterpretation. Thanks for the clarification.

I hope you did not take what I said as hostile, because that was not my intent.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by drift393
Interesting theory although I think incorrect. The Secret Service has always been an organization focused toward the Treasury Department i.e. counterfeit money, fraudulent claims against the government in terms of credit card fraud land fraud etc. Later to the protection of the President later the protection of former presidents and later to foreign dignitaries. Yes they have gone "undercover" in cases to investigate a group or individual perpetrating these crimes. In 1908 some Secret Service agents were transfered into the Department of Justice to start up the FBI. I will check into this a bit more but pretty sure at this point no he was not a Secret Service Agent. Hope this helps.

edit for fat fingers

[edit on 13-3-2008 by drift393]

You know I speak with knowing the facts. It is stated within the book about the clandestine recruiting of Harry Houdini. If you care to read the book, here's the link :

The Secret Life of Houdini: The Making of America's First Superhero

Here's a different book which I read that states some unknown facts about the Secret Service, like the fact that they acted like an intelligence gathering spy agency at one time :

The Secret Service: The Hidden History of an Engimatic Agency

Below is a short explanation of the book's description from Amazon.

This new edition of the definitive history of the Secret Service lays bare the 2004 Bush campaign’s political uses of the agency and the new challenges it faces as a branch of the Homeland Security Department, in a post-9/11 world.

Acclaimed scholar of political violence and governmental secrecy Philip Melanson explores the long-hidden workings of the Secret Service since its inception in 1865 and through rigorous research and extensive interviews with former White House staffers and retired agents, uncovers startling facts about the Agency’s role in such traumatic national events as the assassination of JFK and the shooting of President Reagan.

Included, too, are revelations about presidential demands on the agency; the problems of alcoholism, divorce, and burnout among agents; and the Service’s inexplicable failure to develop profiles of potential assassins. Up-to-date and explosive, this book assails the public image of the Secret Service as a highly professional apolitical organization, exposing the often-detrimental influence that politics exerts on the Agency.

While the Secret Service has been a Presidential Protection agency through the Treasury Department it's role has not always been about protecting the President. From the book you see that it was an added responsibility to them, and that for a time they did not even get paid for the Presidential protection since it was an unofficial duty.

Trust Me I investigate details of what I speak and I am a thorough person.

[edit on 13-3-2008 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by InSpiteOf

Not a problem and I'm glad to have the opportunity to clarify a misunderstanding as it opens up an opportunity to re-read and re-speak on what someone spoke in order to bring things to the proper understanding of information.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Holygamer
Interesting fact about houdini.

He spent most of his life trying to expose the fraud of psychics and paranormal phenomenon. He was a hardcore skeptic.

Is this true? I mean talk about irony... a guy whose career is based solely on fooling people tries to expose psychics?

I guess I should clarify that I assume psychics are shams.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by please_takemyrights

Well he used to call them "hogwash." After his mother died he had an experience with a saiyance and realized it was all trash. He spent his life as a contributer to Scientific America, offered a cash prize for any psychic phenomenon shown to him that he couldnt disprove (much like James Randi) and had a crusader of debunking against religion, the afterlife, psychics, mediums, and all form of superstition.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by please_takemyrights

Originally posted by Holygamer
Interesting fact about houdini.

He spent most of his life trying to expose the fraud of psychics and paranormal phenomenon. He was a hardcore skeptic.

Is this true? I mean talk about irony... a guy whose career is based solely on fooling people tries to expose psychics?

I guess I should clarify that I assume psychics are shams.

If you read the book it talks about how Houdini was at one time a scam artist himself before he became famous and once he gains notoriety as a magician and in essence does it for entertainment purposes only then he begins attacking "psychic's." Here's Wikipedia's definition of a psychic :

Wikipedia : Psychic

Just a hint for you this definition is a long way of saying the word profiler. Here's the definition for profiler, it's under "criminal profiler" though. Take a look at the wording carefully :

Wikipedia : Profiler/Criminal Profiler

The big difference here is of course a "psychic" is doing the "profiling" in order to know how to scam the person, and in essence is utilizing the person's ability to trust them.

[edit on 14-3-2008 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Stand by what I posted you speak of knowing the facts when your sole research is two books? Re-read my post again better yet try going to the Secret Service website and start doing re-search there. My facts come straight from the horses mouth so to speak cant get much fresher than that. Father retired from the secret service and have a step-sister currently in the service.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Stand by what I posted you speak of knowing the facts when your sole research is two books? Re-read my post again better yet try going to the Secret Service website and start doing re-search there. My facts come straight from the horses mouth so to speak cant get much fresher than that. Father retired from the secret service and have a step-sister currently in the service.

I speak on knowing the facts based on knowledge that I've ascertained through diligent detective investigation on the topic at hand. Those are the only two books referenced because I did not feel it was relevant to bring any other books into it. I'm sure I'll add more later.

Attacking My credibility is not a wise move for a newbie on here, especially a newbie with little to no actual credibility here on ATS. The Treasury Department's website is only going to tell you exactly what they want you to know, not everything about them.

[edit on 14-3-2008 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Heh gee your right attacking me as a newbie that is a wise move. Like I said knowledge from the source here, yours is from two books. I will stick with mine you can have yours and do with it what you will.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I happen to be a two time world record holder in escapology. Most of my friends hold between one and 19 world records. There is nothing about the man that is not known among this group. What would you like to to know?

Sometime informant, not an agent.

[edit on 14-3-2008 by Illahee]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Heh gee your right attacking me as a newbie that is a wise move. Like I said knowledge from the source here, yours is from two books. I will stick with mine you can have yours and do with it what you will.

There's a subtle difference between attacking and defending one's self. I did the later, you did the first. I'll keep My knowledge and happiness in knowing what I know.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Cant get the book this month, eating is more important to me first.

@the secret service family member

Ill call, SKL is to kind.

The book seems to be from the reviews based on letter and notes???????

You father and sister cant answer all questions honestly due to the oath they took if they do I'd be very disappointed in them.

1) why were secret service agents drunk just before they went on duty the night before in dallas (jfk)

2) where is the confederate gold that is missing

3) Grants mistress
If they know thier secret service history they can answer it?

[edit on 17-2-2010 by ripcontrol]

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
This information could also provide an explanation to the great houdini's death. If he was, indeed a spy, then he could of gotten tangled into something dangerous, and as a result could of been poisoned. An interesting fact is that on his death certificate, it lists his appendix being on his left not right.

Being a magician myself, I'm very interested in any bibliography to do with houdini. Thanks for the info mate

stranger55

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join