It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop Scapegoating Religion!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Religion:

1.a. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.

b. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.

2. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.

3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.

www.thefreedictionary.com...

Good thing that you aren't in charge of the dictionary then.

It's rather insulting to try to force atheism to fit your world view instead of listening to what we say. We do not believe in the supernatural. Therefore we are NOT religious.

[edit on 11-6-2007 by MajorMalfunction]

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   

3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.

aa need I say more.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by slymattb

Um, no, it's not a religion. It is the antithesis of religion, i.e., we do not believe in a god. Religions believe in gods, ergo, atheism is the lack of religion.

No not all religion believe in God, there is satanism too. or paganism. Religion SHOULD defined as a believe system.
Religion is the worship of a deity or the supernatural -which would encompass satan, pagan gods and beer elves etc. Atheists do no believe in any supernatural entities and therefore disregard religion.

G

link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
Yeah, I'm talking to you, you know who you are. You, the people who enjoy using religion as an excuse for the worlds troubles. It's not religions fault, it's not Gods' fault. You should be blaming the worlds troubles on your own free will. Take responsibility for your own actions, there's no need to scapegoat religion or God.

oh free will? But doesn't "God" allow the free will?

I do agree with one thing, every single individual on this planet should be held responsible for their actions.

link   

Originally posted by 64738
What about this: your are devote and humble follower of God's word and then you open the Bible (Old Testament) or Holy Qu'ran and you see clear instructions how to stone women and kill all unbelievers. Wanna some proof? Here it is:

"If a man be found lying with a woman married to an husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her;" (Deuteronomy 22:22)
"Then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city; and the man, because he hath humbled his neighbour's wife: so thou shalt put away evil from among you." (Deuteronomy 22:24)

... or this, advocating we should cut children to pieces in front of their parents and raping wives afterwards:

"Every one that is found shall be thrust through; and every one that is joined unto them shall fall by the sword. Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished." (Isaiah 13:15-16)

Plus many more i won't mention because it makes me sick to ever read this crap.

Doesn't this one deserve a reply?
I noticed it seems to have been ignored...

This post raises some very good truths. Who advocated this? Did God/Religon or did Man?

This is a bit like trying to determine who came first, the chicken or the egg.

It is a bit much going on a rant about God not being responsible... but how do we account for the war, killing in the Bible and declared the word of God? How do we interpret that?

I noticed this thread was ignored and not responded to... the Bible advocates WAR. So, why is it when a member responds and provides prima facie evidence to challenge your assertion, it is not addressed? This discussion has amounted to nothing more than circular debate that does not actually address the real issue or facts at hand.

[edit on 11-6-2007 by NJE777]

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by slymattb

aa need I say more.

Atheists don't have spiritual leaders.

Need I say more?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join