It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Database exposes dangerous products

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Be sure to check out the Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Database.

Skin Deep pairs ingredients in nearly 25,000 products against 50 definitive toxicity and regulatory databases, making it the largest integrated data resource of its kind. Why did a small nonprofit take on such a big project? Because the FDA doesn't require companies to test their own products for safety.

The unfortunate reality is that the government does not currently require health studies or pre-market testing for these products before they are sold. According to the FDA's Office of Cosmetics and Colors, "FDA cannot require companies to do safety testing of their cosmetic products before manufacturing," and "...a cosmetic manufacturer may use almost any raw material as a cosmetic ingredient and market the product without an approval from FDA." (FDA 1995)

The Cosmetics Ingredients Review (CIR), the industry's self-policing safety panel, falls far short of compensating for the lack of FDA oversight. An EWG analysis found that in its 30-year history, the CIR has reviewed the safety of just 13% of the 10,500 ingredients used in personal care products. FDA does no systematic reviews of safety. That means that nearly 90% of ingredients used in personal care products have not been evaluated for safety by any publicly accountable institution. And as people apply an average of 126 unique ingredients on their skin daily, these chemicals are raising concerns, for their potential impacts to human health and to the environment.

www.cosmeticdatabase.com...

This is an amazing database. There are literally thousands of products listed and each one is rated on a scale from 0 to 10 that determines how safe or dangerous each one is. Each product is listed with the toxic ingredients that make up its rating.

You'll find ratings on makeup, skin care, hair care, deodorants, fragrances and more. You'll be shocked at what you find.

Educate Yourself.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Thanks for the link I joined them for the newsletters, I am a very frequent user of cosmetics and all kind of stuff.

This is going to be very interesting when I start searching all the stuff I use.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
That's great Marg. Yes I was surprised to see so many of the most popular cosmetics and toothpastes listed there as being highly toxic. I'm already cleaning out my supplies and planning to re-stock with safe products. I joined the site for the newsletter updates as well.

Take care!

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I have moved to the organic side of things due no only to my problems with allergies, health and quimicals but also because the more your learn the more you are to change.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Oh my who knew? The ingredients usually are not listed on products made in Canada.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I'm doing pretty good, actually. I seldom wear cosmetics (but I do use Ponds' cold cream, which is a 2) and use Tom's of Maine toothpaste (just liked the idea.) My L'oreal hair color is the most dangerous item and I think I will probably switch that out.

great find!

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 08:40 AM
link   
For hair coloring I and now a natural henna user, the brand I like the most is 100% organic and the ingredients are listed on the box, the best think is that it works.

The brand is Hennalucent.

new topics

top topics

join