It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bee mystery on CNN

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
It's because of Monsanto insecticide, in Europe (perticulary in France where i'm from) it's widely considered a fact that the roundup kills bees.

Now the pesticide is illegal, but our country lost most of it's honey production...

Please you US citizen get rid of your world-killing lobbys and please, never, never trust CNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Inannamute

Originally posted by Unit541
Actually, I believe bees use the polarization of light from the sun to navigate, rather than magnetic fields.

Interesting way to word it. Bee's have eye receptors which are sensitive to the UV spectrum, when you say the word polarization, it now ties in nicely with Torsion waves which are polarization waves, either positive or negative, and they are E,M, & G (electric, magnetic or gravatic)waves. If something has changed with the solar output in this range which effects the polarization of the UV E-Wave, then you might be onto something. It would impact their ability to navigate to and from the nest, then to and from flowers, both of which emit polarized torsion waves.

I wonder how that could be tested for?

[edit on 20-5-2007 by Red_Dog_BOM]

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fennec
It's because of Monsanto insecticide, in Europe (perticulary in France where i'm from) it's widely considered a fact that the roundup kills bees.

Now the pesticide is illegal, but our country lost most of it's honey production...

Please you US citizen get rid of your world-killing lobbys and please, never, never trust CNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

excellent information. I am going to pass this on to many many people here in the US that I know.

And welcome to ATS your already a big asset here IMO.

Thanks,

RT

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 05:34 AM
link   
You're welcome realtruth, and thanks for welcoming me so nicely...

Here is a link, that can be interesting
lephoenix.wordpress.com...

The gaucho (an insecticide from Monsanto) is not in fact fordidden anymore in France (after a 10 years mandatory forbiddance) except on corn and sunflower.

Other possible products responsibles (mostly anti-fungis) according to French farmers: Ogam, Sphére, Twist, Regent, Amistar.

As you all know, bees are essentials to polenisation. So here is a real conspiracy theory: what if Monsanto is tryng to stop "natural" polenisation worldwilde in order to sell transgenic products? Transgenic products needs to be grow each year, the crop of seed is infertile and can't be used again and again as it was the case since the beginning of time!

They are more and more people that think that big transgenic corporations are trying somehow to stop this natural process by altering the mechanics of plant growing.

By the way, a recent study in France (wich was censored in most medias by the governement) showed on rats (eating transgenic corn) permanents brain, blood and livers lesions. I bet you never heard of that in US... Am i right?

Here is a documentary on the topic (sorry, it's in french)

www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

It's frightening to realize that once trangenics animals are now allowed in your country!

[edit on 21-5-2007 by Fennec]

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
There's a pesticide that is used that causes bees to "forget" how to get home. I first heard it mentioned here on ATS, then I saw it mentioned on a CNN report yesterday. It interferes with their ability to learn, and remember things, so when they go out looking for pollen and nectar they get lost and they can't get home. That's why they aren't finding bodies. I can't remember the name of the pesticide though.

I'm in the field of Pesticide use, and this is not a pesticide I've ever heard of in my 13 years on the job. Please post the pesticide you speak of? You seem to be able to post evidence of everything else. I'd like to ask my supplier about it. thanks. Oh and what time did you see that on CNN the other day??

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Inannamute
Actually, I believe bees use the polarization of light from the sun to navigate, rather than magnetic fields.

From what I've read, the way bees see, and an internal "odometer" are what they use to navigate around.

Could you tell me where you read this misinformation, I'd like to make sure of its source.

The Apis Merrifera (Honey Bee) Has a complete life cycle, egg larva, pupa and adult, completes in 21 days. Average lifespan is of Queen may be up to 5 years. Average lifespan of "workers and drones" 3-6 months . a single hive can contain 20,000 to 60,000 bees. A hive has 1 queen thousands of workers and a handful of drones. Drone have no stinger and are harmless. theyre sole purpose is to provide sperm when a young queen is mated. Drones(male bee) develope from an unfertilized egg. Once the drone has provided sperm for the young queen, the workers drive him out of the hive or kill them. Workers,(sterile females) do all the work of the colony. Queens mate only once during their lifetime and will sperm in what is called a spermatheca. This supply will provide her enough sperm to fertilize many thousands of eggs for many years. Young workers, called "nurse bees" tend to all the work inside the hive. Drones are only present in the hive during sring and early summer. when a new queen is developed, by being created in special comb cells and fed a special "royal jelly" the old queen attempts to kill her, but the new queen is protected by the workers. This is when the old queen exits the hive and a large portion of the workers leave with her. This is what is called a swarm, not to be confused with a mating swarm. Bees use light waves to navigate and use they're particular queens phermone to find their way back to their hive and are not active at night.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Why does it take CNN so long to get a story like this out???

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I used to study bees years ago when I was in elementary school, so I know all about the activities in the hives.

The honeybee has a couple of techniques for measuring how far it has flown. One technique is to judge how much effort was expended during the flight. The other technique, which is probably more important, makes use of what is called "Optic Flow". Optic flow is a measure of the movement of images across the visual field. The further a bee flies the greater the number of images that will pass through the visual field. A bee is able to remember how much optic flow there was during a flight and to use this to infer the distance. It seems that the outward journey is the most important for judging the distance of trips. This is in contrast to the direction which is averaged from both the outward and inward journeys.

An elegant experiment has been performed to demonstrate the use of optic flow in distance measurement. In the experiment worker bees were forced to fly down a narrow tube as they emerged from the hive. The inside of this tube was painted with black and white stripes. These stripes, together with their proximity to the flying bees, increases the perceived optic flow. This confused the bees into thinking that they had flown further than they really had. When the tube was removed they would try to return to the remembered locations of food but would always end up flying too far.

www.setiai.com...

Entomologists have long known that bees use polarized sunlight to navigate. Two Swiss scientists now say that a bee's navigational "map" lies embedded in special photoreceptors in its eyes. According to Samuel Rossel and Rudiger Wehner of the University of Zurich, "... the array of receptors [in the bee's eyes] forms a template which the bee uses to scan and match the polarization patterns in the sky."

In the 1940s, Nobel laureate Karl von Frisch showed that bees have a simple yet elegant way of communicating the location of distant sources of food. When a foraging bee returns to the hive, she performs a "waggle dance" consisting of a short run ending in a loop that returns her to the beginning point of her run. The direction of her run indicates the direction of the food source with respect to the sun.

findarticles.com...

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by cygnusx1966

I'm in the field of Pesticide use, and this is not a pesticide I've ever heard of in my 13 years on the job. Please post the pesticide you speak of? You seem to be able to post evidence of everything else. I'd like to ask my supplier about it. thanks. Oh and what time did you see that on CNN the other day??

"Recent research tested crops where seed was treated with imidacloprid. The chemical was present, by systemic uptake, in corn, sunflowers and rape pollen in levels high enough to pose a threat to honey bees. Additional research has found that imidacloprid impairs the memory and brain metabolism of bees, particularly the area of the brain that is used for making new memories.

"Implication: If bees are eating fresh or stored pollen contaminated with these chemicals at low levels, the pesticides might not cause mortality, but might impact the bees' ability to learn or make memories. If this is the case, young bees leaving the hives to make orientation flights might not be able to learn the location of the hive and might not be returning, causing the colonies to dwindle and eventually die. It is also possible that this is not the sole cause of the dwindling, but one of several contributing factors.

www.organicconsumers.org...

I have no idea what time it was. I was sitting in the bus terminal waiting for my bus, so it was between 3 and 5pm. Beyond that I can't tell you what time it was.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Terrapop
Just saw a 10 minute special about the dying bee mystery on CNN. They said it i s getting really serious now, because 25% of all bees in Canada und USA vanished during the last 6 months. And they do not have any clue why...

Scary.

I seem to recall HAARP was turned on about 6 months ago

And do a gogle about swarms of birds dying recently too from unexplained causes

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by cygnusx1966

"Recent research tested crops where seed was treated with imidacloprid. The chemical was present, by systemic uptake, in corn, sunflowers and rape pollen in levels high enough to pose a threat to honey bees. Additional research has found that imidacloprid impairs the memory and brain metabolism of bees, particularly the area of the brain that is used for making new memories.

"Implication: If bees are eating fresh or stored pollen contaminated with these chemicals at low levels, the pesticides might not cause mortality, but might impact the bees' ability to learn or make memories. If this is the case, young bees leaving the hives to make orientation flights might not be able to learn the location of the hive and might not be returning, causing the colonies to dwindle and eventually die. It is also possible that this is not the sole cause of the dwindling, but one of several contributing factors.

www.organicconsumers.org...

I have no idea what time it was. I was sitting in the bus terminal waiting for my bus, so it was between 3 and 5pm. Beyond that I can't tell you what time it was.

Wow, there sure are alot of "Mights" in that explantion!
and that would be an Agriculture chemical and if there are high levels of it showing up, then whoever is using the product, cropdusters, then they should be investigated by the AGG Dept for mixing up some ultra strong batches of chemicals and obviously violating the lanels suggested use. But wait, dont these independant bee keepers plant there own fields for their bees to forage from, hence, getting the variable flavors of honey?

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
And how are they going to keep the bees from going to other fields? It's not like you can train a bee to only use your own fields. I didn't, and I'm not saying that the pesticide is the definitive answer, I'm saying that it is one explanation, and makes more sense than cell towers, especially since two of the countries in Europe that banned it haven't seen the huge die off that other countries have.

The two European countries with the largest honey bee populations are France and Italy. It might be significant that those two countries banned certain pesticides in recent years because beekeepers there became convinced that systemic pesticides were killing off honey bees. And so far, neither France nor Italy has yet reported the collapse of honey bee hives.

earthfiles.com...

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   

And how are they going to keep the bees from going to other fields? It's not like you can train a bee to only use your own fields. I didn't,

Ok wait, first you "studied bees in elementary school", then you say, "It's not like you can train a bee to only use your own fields. I didn't,"
which your implying you were a bee keeper. boy oh boy that sure is some confusing and conflicting info your giving out.

although how they keep the bees from goin elswhere is something youd have to ask a beekeeper.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I take it you didn't notice the little period between those two sentences.
They were completely UNRELATED SENTENCES. I said "It's not like you can train bees." And THEN "I didn't, and I'm not" Either that, or you're deliberately misinterpreting what I said. Which is it?

[edit on 5/22/2007 by Zaphod58]

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I take it you didn't notice the little period between those two sentences.
They were completely UNRELATED SENTENCES. I said "It's not like you can train bees." And THEN "I didn't, and I'm not" Either that, or you're deliberately misinterpreting what I said. Which is it?

[edit on 5/22/2007 by Zaphod58]

Honest Mistake on my part. Dont take that as me agreeing with you about anything youve said.........ever.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Actually, I dunno what about you guys but I see bees... dead bees.

Last year I started noticing a few dead bees randomly lying around my yard and when I went to the beach, there are TONS of them washed up or floating in the water.

This has never happened before.

Later on I heard about the dissapearances and it seemed to make sense but still I'm not sure as to what the cause may be.

So, maybe we just can't find the bodies because we're not looking. They could be in a lake or somewhere in the grass. The whole world isn't asphalt and cement, lol.

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
They have been mentioning the bees everyday on coast to coast so I started looking into it and I came accross a site that suggest that the cellphone towers are some how screwing with them. There was another that suggested they were getting sick from poisons from genetically modified plants. They said if a bee is sick it wont return to the hive and bee keepers have said they would all be in the hive one morning and the next there might be a queen and 3 drones struggling along. Which to them suggests they would leve the hive healthy and not return cause they dropped somewhere like flies.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I was actually thinking to small when I considered it was just the Sun causing some changes. If you take a broader view and look at current science you will find information showing that our solar system may have come from another galaxy! One that is still being gobbled up by the Milkly Way. This is causing some recent energy changes within our own Solar System!

www.tmgnow.com...
abc.net.au...
curezone.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Royal76
I first heard about this a few months ago on NAGO

It's really bad in Texas, they said on a broadcast that 80% of the normal bees have disappeared.

Personally I know of only three major enemies of bees.

1. Killer Bee's of Africa. Maybe they are overtaking them too fast.

2. Humans. They destroy habitats, and leave waste that destroy's them.

3. There is a species of wasps that sneaks in and then brings his buddies to lay waste to the hive. I had heard they are only in South America, but who knows?

What really terrible about this, is how much we need them. The bee's produced honey. Pollinate our crops, etc. This could have global ramifications.

PS in Texas I heard its not just Honey bee farms, but all bees.

[edit on 17-5-2007 by Royal76]

Regarding your third point. They are Asian Giant Hornets. Just watched a documentary on them yesterday

I guess they go after the honey bees larvae. It only takes one scout to spray a spot on the hive and then the scout leaves to bring her buddies back. Maybe 30 or so can wipe out an entire hive of 30k honey bees. But the honey bees sometimes kill the scout. They lure her into the hive, they swarm her, and raise their body temperatures up to a point where the Asian Giant Wasp cant withstand it and she dies. I think the documentary said the honey bees raise their temps up to 117 degrees and the hornet can only withstand 113; anything higher is fatal. Mind you, this only applies to the Asian honey bees. I'm not sure if the bee colonies in America would realize this and use this as a defense. The Asian honey bee has evolved into using this tactic.

[edit on 29-6-2007 by Tahlen]

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
This just in from BBC:

Virus implicated in bee decline

A virus has emerged as a strong suspect in the hunt for the mystery disease killing off North American honeybees.

Genetic research showed that Israeli Acute Paralysis Virus (IAPV) turned up regularly in hives affected by Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD).

More as it unfolds.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join