It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deal on Immigration Reached Between White House and Senate

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Deal on Immigration Reached Between White House and Senate

www.washingtonpost.com

A bipartisan group of senators reached a delicate compromise today on what could be the biggest overhaul of immigration law in more than 40 years. It would offer the nation's 12 million undocumented workers a route to legal status.

The measure, which senators hope to bring to the floor for debate and a vote before they leave for the Memorial Day, is to be announced at a press conference this afternoon.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/17/2007 by djohnsto77]

[edit on 24-5-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I'm hoping this will work, but I don't really see many illegals coming forward, paying a $5,000 fine and returning to their home country to become legal unless the penalties for not doing so are strictly enforced.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
While discussing the future of the conservative movement in America, I have said in past threads that this is just about the only deal that the Bush administration is likely to get from Congress. The sad but relevent truth is that Bush43 is legacy shopping and he doesn't have a whole lot of political capitol to spend.

Everyone else is going to talk about the negative side of this so...let me get your attention by focusing on the one good long-term thing that will come out of this.

Once this goes through, illegal immigration will never again be thought of as it is today. Opponents of illegal immigration will be able to take some comfort in knowing that future political decisions will be made with a different attitude. If this goes through in the next few months, you'll see the 2008 Presidential contenders modifying their views accordingly.

Yes, it will come with a lot of pain that'll be dished out over the lext thirty years, but we're getting what we deserve. This is half a solution, so we're getting half a benefit. Even so, border security will be "popular" and Federal law enforcement agencies will change their culture to accomodate the greater demands of actual enforcement.

My worry, as documented in posts spanning more than fourteen months, is that the government will come down hard on the citizens with the same heavy hand that it uses to impact illegal immigration. I hate to say I told you so but...Let's pretend that I did and move on to other things. Once engacted, it will be possible for future politicians to amend this law while they say what they rest of us are thinking. "From now on, we must do a better job. By helping ourselves, we will eventually be in a position to help everyone else to a much better extent than we already do."

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   
There is another update actually two I think where it went to 100 million then back to 66 Million in the next 20 years. Not a good sign either way, also a darn right shame the way our government is now treating the American public by bringing in all this cheap labor.

As for the new figures of 66 million I think those are very low we always see one figure that ends up higher in the end with anything spending or what ever it never fails

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Still, there will be no border close, they'll say that US, Canada or Mexico, what's the difference? We need a North American Union! That kind of BS. Still illegals will be able to get everything without any ID and still be treated like upper-class citizens while US citizens are treated like slaves.

If this pass it's the end of america. If Ron Paul is not elected, I'll say goodbye and I'll probably go to central america or africa. No more police state, until the fascist world government that will be unstoppable.

And people say it's 12 milllions illegals... I saw much higher figures... like 30 millions... it's certainly between those numbers.

I'm really sick of all the BS, global warming, contamination in food, vaccines, wars, corruption, TV, torture... they get away with it. I'm angry without limits but when I see people who buy all that garbage, I'm sick and don't even want to fight for those brainless morans. 2009: Sayonara.

[edit on 17-5-2007 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Let's be clear on a few things. Some good, and some bad. President Bush is desperate for any kind of non-war political legacy. He has very little "political capital" left at this point, so he's at the mercy of the Democrats. They know this, and I'm sure that they're making the most of it. This may be a stinky deal, but you should expect both parties to embrace it like its a really big deal.

Having said that, I'd like to point out the one and only good thing that I see coming from this. From now it, will be acceptable if not politically "fasionable" to talk about immigration and border security issues right out in the open. The signing of this bill in to law will mark an important attitude shift. Dems, in particular, are keenly aware that they've pushed the exploitation of illegals just about as far as they can dare to go. From now on, it'll actually be 'cool' for politicians to get tough on border security.

Just bear in mind one thing. Border security and immigration policy are NOT the same things.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
I'm really sick of all the BS, global warming, contamination in food, vaccines, wars, corruption, TV, torture... they get away with it. I'm angry without limits but when I see people who buy all that garbage, I'm sick and don't even want to fight for those brainless morans. 2009: Sayonara.

Now more thanever, we need to gather our wits and calm our nerves. We need to remember that what we say and do today becomes part of the historical record tomorrow. We may not be able to influence the here and the now, but we might one day affect what happens after we are long gone. Some day, people who are yet to be born will ask some hard questions. The statements you and I leave behind now could be all they have to fight for their freedoms.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Please, this legislation was written by the lobbiest for agribusiness.
Same as it ever was!

The Parties know who the master is; and it ain't the taxpayers!

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 05:16 AM
link   
The pro illegal alien crowd will look to manipulate Americans fear of government in there favour. This should be a lesson to everyone if you don't tackle a problem when it is still small the problem just gets bigger and requires drastic action to solve.

Now if Americans took the same passion that some of there pro gun supporters have to issues such as illegal immigration there wouldn't be an illegal emigration problem or a lack of privacy.

[edit on 19-5-2007 by xpert11]

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
Now if Americans took the same passion that some of there pro gun supporters have to issues such as illegal immigration there wouldn't be an illegal emigration problem or a lack of privacy.

That's why I try to promote good civics. Good citizenship means being well informed on a wide variety of issues. It has been my experience to date that the people who discover that they can advocate for second amendment right later on further discover that they can speak up on other Constitutional matters as well.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justin Oldham
Let's be clear on a few things. Some good, and some bad. President Bush is desperate for any kind of non-war political legacy. He has very little "political capital" left at this point, so he's at the mercy of the Democrats.

With exception of the economy, you are probably correct.

[edit on 20-5-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Break out the pop corn. Congress is debating the revisited immigration bill. The U.S. news cycle will be dominated by this.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Break out the pop corn. Congress is debating the revisited immigration bill. The U.S. news cycle will be dominated by this.

I'm not totally sure, but if I had to bet I'd say this won't pass. I think both sides view the status quo as better.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Didn't Reagan, back in the 1980s, pass a bunch of laws that made it illegal for employers to hire illegal immigrants? Why aren't those laws being enforced?

To me, this is just a re-visioning of what Reagan did. Regan basically gave the 2 million illegals that were already present in th e U.S amnesty and then passed a bunch of laws that seem to never be enforced. How is the "new" legislation any different, except that you are talking about giving amnesty to a greater number of individuals?

By the way, I hope no one tries to say that this is not amnesty because it's going to cost the illegals 5000 dollars to become a resident.
You know as well as I do that illegal immigrants are not going to come out of the wood work and say, "Sure, I'll pay five thousand dollars to become a citizen." The policy is a joke.

The only positive in this bill is that they are strengthening our borders.

[edit on 21-5-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I will be honest though,
I really don't know what else they can do. To round up 12 million people would be quite a task, and unless Americans are willing to live in a police state it's not even feasible.

I think really, to be fair, the only thing that can be done is let the 12 million remain here, and start tightening our borders. I don't know what else can be done.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Conservatives are not wrong to fear this bill. If today's Republican party is truly on the rocks, this law (when enacted) will all but kill that once mighty political institution. Having said that, I recognize that what's left ofthe conservative movement in America will one day re-invent. I also understnad that this law, once enacted, will likely be amended many many times to iron out some of its imperfections. The thing that concerns me the most will be our own politicians, and what they do to exploit this law for their own gain. Democrats, in particuular, are likely to get a lot of mileage out of this.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   
There is something seriously wrong with this picture. There is nothing wrong with debating the number of legal emigrants that you let in to a country and debate the effects of mixing differnt ethnic cultures that aren't native to the country in question .

However I know of no other country other then the US that debates if masses of illegal aliens should be permitted to work in a country and be given amnesty. As long the illegal alien issue remains a partisan issue in American politics the hole that is being dug will only get deeper.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Today's American leaders are weak in a way that really is hard for the average person to grasp. In a fashion that is reminiscent of Old Rome, America's leaders are slaves to public opinion in a way that's altogether bad for the nation.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Today's American leaders are weak in a way that really is hard for the average person to grasp. In a fashion that is reminiscent of Old Rome, America's leaders are slaves to public opinion in a way that's altogether bad for the nation.

Like Rusty Humphries calls them, "Polliticians." Todays' politicians are trying to win a freaking popularity contest, not govern a nation. They all should go out and spend $400 on a haircut, maybe that will change their public image.

[edit on 23-5-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I ran the numbers and it is possible that I have spent $400 on hair cuts over the span of approximately 15 years. My life-time total for haircut expenditures totals less than $800. Mr. Edwards must suffer terribly. I will remember to feel bad for him when I can find the time.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join