It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would our world be if we had Earth 2?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
What would have our world, actually our solar system be like if we had a sister planet similar to earth from a distance of about 500,000 miles away? And that we colonized it back in the 60s? If we transported thousands of colonists the population would be in hundreds of thousands by now, or if keep transporting more in the decades fropm 60s all the way to this year, it would be in millions? Would we have advanced our communications far beyond now just so we can talk and watch from Earth 2? Watch the news from that planet to see what is going on like "Good morning, you are watching Earth 2 CNN." Could we have tensions between Earth and Earth 2 where people on that planet demand independence? Its a what if scenario where we had a sister planet so I was just thinking about it and how our place would be shaped by such if that planet exist.

I also like to mention that since we got 2 planets, advances in place exploration would be far ahead since we need spaceships of some kind to transport between 2 planets.

I added this just to show what could happen if we were at war between 2 planets like Planet Wars as people might call it. Even though the pic shows what look like asteroids crashing into the planet or is in the midst of crashing into each other, I though I just give a perspective of what it could look like if fighting erupts.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
What would have our world, actually our solar system be like if we had a sister planet similar to earth from a distance of about 500,000 miles away?

Well it would mean that we would have two (if you consider Pluto a planet) binary planetary systems,
since the moon is about that distance from us.

Cultures would have developed differently than they have, as there would be belief systems
that focused on the planet.

Heck, Christianity may never have developed, or if it did even become the dominant religion.

Would we have advanced our communications far beyond now just so we can talk and watch from Earth 2?

I don't think we would have developed any revolutionary communication systems.
The time lag between Earth and (I'm gonna call it this for clarity reasons) New Gaia would
only be about three seconds, so it would'nt require the development of something like
quantum entanglement communication systems.
I do think though are satellite communication system would be much more advanced and
much more robust, as that would be the best way to facilitate the level of communications
that would exist between the two planets.

Could we have tensions between Earth and Earth 2 where people on that planet demand independence? Its a what if scenario where we had a sister planet so I was just thinking about it and how our place would be shaped by such if that planet exist.

Well it would depend, if multiple countries had set-up bases there originally,
the planet itself may have developed its own countries, or the countries of Earth would
have become super-planetary entities.

I think though that there would be some kind of peaceful independence.

Considering they are far enough away that they are there own culture and people,
but close enough that they would still be able to look at there home and be reminded
of who they are, add to that that even in the 60's we had the technology that would have
given us the ability to nuke New Gaia out of existence pretty quickly.

I also like to mention that since we got 2 planets, advances in place exploration would be far ahead since we need spaceships of some kind to transport between 2 planets.

I agree, we would be much further than we are now when it comes to space systems.

...we were at war between 2 planets like Planet Wars as people might call it...

I believe that would technically be an interplanetary conflict.

[edit on 5/17/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
We did until something radical happened long time ago- Mars....earth2

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 04:23 AM
link   
^^^
Did you just join ATS and name yourself 'Earth2' after you read this thread?!

EDIT: Nope.. just saw your join date!

Freaky coincidence though!

If we had another earth-like planet then we would be living out a cool sci-fi movie!

[edit on 18-5-2007 by Daedalus3]

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 07:15 AM
link   
This is very interesting. It offers so many possibilities.
Image having two worlds…

3 Evolution Possibilities-
Evolution A: The worlds' ecosystems evolved separately and in unique ways from the other.

Evolution B: One of the worlds has an ecosystem which is stuck by a meteor. This meteor carries material to the other planet and creating an identical ecosystem.

Evolution C: One planet gets an eco system and the other does not. Terra-forming would be in-order.

In any case I think that having a close proximity habitable planet would act like a multiplier for development. Space travel, communications, recycling, environmental management, so many technologies would be developed and engineered faster for bridging the gap between the two worlds.

Of course eventually the golden age of exploration and inhabitation of the New Earth would end. Overpopulation, disease, resource management, conflicts, and climate change would still be the threats for humanity.

You think global conflicts are complicated at times? Imagine interplanetary conflicts between say 100 to 1000 nations on each planet. Or two governments. Planet A vs Planet B the FINAL SHOWDOWN.

The possibilities are infinite. This thread is great for the imagination!

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
yeah its such a bummer mars is so small and just outside the HZ.

would be very exciting to have another earth type planet in our solar system. Assuming there were no intelligent being on there i think our space tech would be much further ahead driven on by the prospect of going to that planet.

theres probably solar systems out there which do have 2 terrestrial planets maybe even both have intelligent life. That would be very interesting!

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
yeah its such a bummer mars is so small and just outside the HZ.

would be very exciting to have another earth type planet in our solar system. Assuming there were no intelligent being on there i think our space tech would be much further ahead driven on by the prospect of going to that planet.

theres probably solar systems out there which do have 2 terrestrial planets maybe even both have intelligent life. That would be very interesting!

Yeah the fact that Mars has an average year around temperature 35c lower than ours dont mean there aint nothing there but rocks and dust.

Have people actually looked our own earth and imagine what it would look like without the massive oceans covering 2/3 of our planet? the difference in color betwen mars is pretty much 0. theres _massive_ deserts everywhere on earth just as there is on mars and theres even mysterious green stuff and polar icecaps on mars which ofcourse means nothing if you ask any "real" scientist. But saying that -15c -> -50c average global temperature each year = no life dont really seem too logical to me atleast. Considering how much of it we have it down here.

I would myself wonder more how things would have gone even in the past thirty to forty years if we could just get rid of the self-centered image of the universe and even our own solarsystem.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I think the government would keep the planet away from us and make it a military type planet until water ran out here then perhaps move people there and also! I think they would come up with a more original name then earth2

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
If it were within reach of our own Solar System, then it is attainable.We would already have a civilisation set up on it, leaving the undesirables left behind.

[edit on 22-5-2007 by menguard]

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   
If there had been a second Earth maybe there would be no life on either - at least not as we know it. The reason this planet is habitable now is the fine balance of all the various gravitational fields and the good luck to have a single moon trapped in orbit.

Earth 2 could of ruined all that from the start, prevented the moon from turning up - or even knicking it! - Then there is the possibility the two planets could smash into each other.

Any way, Earth 2? Couldn't any one come up with a more imaginative name?!

top topics

join