It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why can't I carry a gun?!?!?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
My Pocket Gun is a Smith & Wesson 340PD... small ,light , cant jam and has plenty of knock down power. I've put so many rounds through it that it's second nature (Muscle Memory) I've fired it wearing various clothing, with and without gloves and in all types of weather night and day. Using that handgun is now a REFLEX. NOW unless you are trained in COMBAT or SELF DEFENSE and you train using the gun you carry I would advise you not to carry , once you produce a firearm there must be ZERO hesitation to use it. If there is you will be dead... Game Over... end of story. I would advise most people to carry OC pepper spray or maybe a tazer. If you are trained then you already know that you can employ your weapon in the right manner. If you doubt yourself or are "Iffy" then you are not the type to carry. You are the one that gets their gun taken away from them and killed with it. Prior to any confrontation your best weapon is "Situational Awareness" If I can Cross the street to avoid confrontation I most certainly will. If there are areas that are "Known" for violence at certain times I will avoid those areas. If I'm minding my own business and confrontation comes to me I am in control of the situation. I decide what options to choose from there. If I choose to back away I have that option and If I choose to defend I have that option as well. (Just try to be justified depending on what state you live in) The best defense is a good offense.

COLOR CODES OF AWARENESS
SUMMARY: Use the same Color Codes of awareness that most military and police organizations do to increase your awareness constantly.

Awareness, according to experts, makes up 90% of self-defense, the remaining 10% being physical techniques. With awareness, you can identify and avoid potentially dangerous situations. Without it, you become an easy target for a criminal.

Colonel Jeff Cooper, a combat pistol instructor, developed the Color Code system, used by most military and police organizations, to differentiate different levels of awareness.

These color codes help recognize, evaluate, and avoid potential threats. They are used to measure rising threat and make most situations avoidable. The following are the colors in ascending order of awareness of danger: white, yellow, orange, and red.

Code White
You feel secure, whether or not you are actually safe.
Awareness is switched off.
You are unaware of your environment, its inhabitants, and their rituals of attack.
All attackers look for victims in this state.
Code Yellow
You are cautious. You should spend most of the time in this state.
Awareness is switched on.
State of threat awareness and relaxed alertness.
You have a 360-degree peripheral awareness of such environmental danger spots as secluded doorways, entries, and alleys, as well as such psychological triggers as adrenal dump and attacker ruses. Be aware of people, vehicles, behind large objects, dark areas, etc.
Code Orange
You are in danger. You are aware of a potential threat.
State of threat evaluation.
Specific alert. A possible target has been identified. A particular situation that has drawn your attention and could present a major problem. Someone may be giving oral indicators such as direct threats or using suspicious language. Focus on the potential attacker.
Check to see if there is an avenue of escape, potential weapons available, and if others around you are friend or foe.
Decision is made to take action.
Code Red
You are in conflict.
State of threat avoidance.
Fight or flight. Flee, defend, or attack. You have evaluated the situation, and if there is a threat, you prepare to fight or run.
Never stand or fight if there is a possibility of fleeing.
Carry out decision to act made in Code Orange. You don't have to think; no indecision on the course of action; you are prepared.
If use of physical self-defense techniques is necessary, use the level of force appropriate to the threat. E.g., don't treat someone who pushes you because he is rude like someone who is trying to stab you with a knife.
How to Use the Color Codes of Awareness
The color codes of awareness are a continuum of your awareness and readiness to defend. The objective is to constantly flow from one color to the next above or below, depending on the situation.

Never be in white. Spend most your time in yellow, even in places where you feel safe, such as at home.

Constantly be aware and alert, and shift from yellow and orange often as you notice potential threats and dangers. While walking down the street, practice imaginary shifts between the 2 colors. Practice thinking of ways to respond to potential attackers.

When in orange, notice what you can do to flee, defend, or attack if it becomes necessary, and make the decision to take a specific action if the situation escalates to red.

What would you do if that person walking behind you picks up the pace and makes a move toward you? What would you do if someone jumped out of the alley just ahead of you? What would you do if someone walking in front of you suddenly cuts your path and raises his hands toward you?

The Color Codes in Practice
Here's one example of how the Color Codes of awareness could be used. A 100-pound woman is walking to her car, carrying grocery bags. Being aware and alert in Code Yellow, she sees two suspicious men near her car.

She switches from Yellow to Orange. She decides on her self-defense options. They walk toward her and reach for her. She switches to Red, and executes her decisions: she throws the bags at them and runs back into the store.

Another example. You are walking and someone diagonally across the street stares at you for no apparent reason, with an angry expression. He doesn't avert his gaze. You shift to Orange and decide to run the opposite direction and yell for help.

He starts moving quickly toward you, crossing the street without regard to traffic. You immediately shift to Red, and without thinking or deciding, run the opposite direction at the fastest speed you can, and either lose him or run into a police officer or security guard that can help you.

Conclusion
Starting right now, be in Code Yellow. Throughout your day, identify potential areas of danger and switch to Code Orange as necessary. Switch back to Code Yellow if no threat exists. Do this exercise again tomorrow. And the next day. And so on. Eventually, awareness becomes a habit. Make the most important self-defense skill, awareness, a habit.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Sorry to hear about the little scare you had, I would have been pretty nervous too. Right now, firearm laws are pretty strict in a lot of states, especially ones involving handguns. Find out what local laws are on the subject, check the NRA website out too, I'm sure you can find a lot of info through them. I'm an NRA member, and I am contacted on a regular basis about laws/regulations, and about different bills going into affect, etc. I live in Maine, and luckily here, the rules aren't very strict, if you are a law abiding citizen, and not a felon, owning/carrying guns is not a problem. I've had a concealed permit for a few years, as well as a hunting license, and I have gone through a few different courses as well. I read a previous post from a member being frustrated about how Rednecks in other states can carry guns around on a gun rack in there truck....my answer to that is, chances are, in the states these "Rednecks" can do that (Like where I live) Gun related violence isn't a big problem. Most problems we have here (where I live) are related to out of state people who come up here to enjoy the scenery, get drunk, drive, and hit a moose &injure themselves, many times, they die. (I'm a member of a local fire/rescue, and have been to many scenes just like that) I've been around guns all my life and haven't had a single problem with them, neither has any of my family members. We respect firearms &know they have there place. I carry a revolver on a regular basis with speed loaders in my car for my own protection, I live an hour away from any law enforcement, and feel much safer with a gun.

What is happening, is the only ones who will have guns are the criminals, not the good citizens of the world, a few idiots ruin if for everyone else, and plenty of politicians are working 24/7 to ban guns and hunting.

Having a sex change, a gay couple adopting a bunch of kids, getting an abortion, or not being able to speak a intelligible word of the English language in the USA (which forces English speaking Americans to learn another language just to get along) is totally fine though.

But a law abiding person, wanting to carry a gun for self defense? what, are you off your rocker?...

[edit on 17-2-2008 by GB2005]

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
interesting..
are we allowed to carry firearms onboard sea vessels?
how about during safari?
How about archery?

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by SnowWhite

as far as i know in international waters yes- but would depend on the ships rules and when you get into a country's waters- it depends on there regs
as for in archery season in pa. yes you can. but you must have a ccw or sportsmen's permit and only be carrying a gun you ARE NOT allowed to hunt with. for example if i am archery hunting I AM allowed to carry my s&w 457 because i am not allowed to hunt with it. if i had my 357 and got caught that would be bad

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
also in reply to the op he must have had i long sock if he pulled out a machete!!! don't know how he could have walked with it hidden there

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfoot1212

If i register my ship in a gun free zone (example US, any others?)
i can stock up on guns
and sail
but am i allowed to berth at other ports?
Will the other coast guards confiscate any of them?

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by hikix

Originally posted by kozmo
You can, but NYC is not going to make is easy for you. Visit the following (Sorry mods - hyperlinking feature doesn't seem to be working): www.ci.nyc.ny.us... for the types and reasons for permissable concealed carry in NYC.

Thanks for the link Kozmo, it actually doesnt really seem that difficult to obtain as long as you are a citizen with no prior arrests, im def going to look into it. And also hyperlinking hasnt been working for me either.

You would think it's not that difficult but aside from D.C. NYC is the most fascist in terms of gun control. Nazi Guilliani made sure of that. Follow the guidelines and apply but don't expect to get your CCW. Tell them you carry large amounts of cash with you as part of your business and it routinely takes you into sketchy neighborhoods. Still expect to get denied. You have to know someone. It's utter BS.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Try to get a Ny CCW (Concealed Carry Wepon) Permit. They are not very hard to obtain (if you do not have a criminal record, and take the course.).
If they refuse to get you a CCW then you have a way to end-run those in NY. You just go to one of the other states that have a resaprosity (sp) law with NY. like Penn. Mass. Jersey, etc.. you could also get one from Florida which is honored by ALL states that offer CCW's (everyone except IL., and WI.) Just apply for a out of state permit. I have a CCW from all of the 48 states that offer one. (I use to be a "over the road" truck driver) Good Luck.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by hikix

I believe new york does not have a in public shoot first law. The best thing is to get info from the police in regards to being licensed to own a gun with a CCW permit since you are a landlord who may carry sums of cash in your business duties.

So, with that, you have to let the perps bash your skull in and shoot you as many times as they wish, than hack your body up before using deadly force. Ya just can't win if you are obediant to societies laws.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by hikix

i know this post old but i still feel compelled to point out that a machette is not going to fit in a sock i call e-drama for attention now a small knife perhaps a hunting knife even but not a machette i have not readll all the pages here but i do hope someone else cought this lie.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
You should have never been in Brooklyn at night with no gun. You just don't do things like that. Thats like trying to fill your car up with gas in Detroit at 12:00am.

I don't see why you can't carry a gun. Gangsters have no problem carrying their guns, you shouldn't either.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   
What about the high seas?
I need at least a selective-fire assault rifle
(salt-rust and ph 5 - 9 proof, including cartridges)...
...or else lots of flares

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by hikix

Originally posted by seagull
Dude (?). Your guardian angel was wide awake...

I'm not sure what local ordanances come into play in Brooklyn, but a concealed carry permit would be advisable for you. Especially as you have to go out to properties like that.

Yes...I'd be buying your guardian angel a brew of his/her choice...whew!!!

Glad your ok.

Thanks i appreciate it, there are no laws in NY that i know of that would let anyone besides a police officer carry a gun. If anyone knows, i would love to hear it!

That doesn't make me feel any better pOPO got tha power and the weapons I feel so safe now -_-

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Valid points that will get you killed! If you're going to be in or reside in America for a lengthy period of time, learn my frickin' language! That's the problem with this country right now, we don't want to offend anyone! That's all BS in my opinion. If I'm walking down the street minding my own business and some hispanic pulls a machete out of his sock? He's made a very bad and possibly deadly mistake.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Thats why I live in Alaska, although I have a permit to carry, you don't need one in Alaska,,you have the right to protect yourself, family and belongings...I wouldn't live in a city or state where you can't carry a gun....New York. look who's the mayor...and it's only going to get worse.. From my cold dead hands

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I hear you. I'm in Maryland and while supposedly they grant concealed carry permits, I've never seen one. From what I've heard, you would either have to carry large sums of cash for your job or have credible death threats against you to be issued one.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
There needs to be a mass exodus of like-minded folks from these slave states. NY, CT, MA, CA and D.C. are all crumbling, crashing and burning and they arent going to stop because a handful of non-urban dependent residents object to the self destructive behavior of the states legislature.

Save up some cash, send out your resume and get the hell out.

There's no reason you need to sink with any ship. Especially one as worthless as NY.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join