It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why can't I carry a gun?!?!?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   
It was brooklyn, there are good parts and there are bad parts. It was 8pm, not too late. I wasnt in a bad part but there are criminals everywhere.

The clients work late, that was the only time i could meet up with them.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I live in Michigan and have had a CCW for over 25 years. Unfortunately for you in NYC it is just about impossible to get a permit. It is also one of a handful of states that don't recognize legal permits from other states.

If you live in a state that does allow permits I would strongly recommend that you get one. Just having a gun doesn't afford much protection though if you don't know what you are doing with it. I have taken numerous self defense classes and shoot at ranges at least a couple of times a month.

If you don't prepare youself to defend yourself with a gun you are probably better of not carrying.

Keep in mind that you must be totally prepared to use the gun if needed. If you are not sure that you could shoot if necessary than don't carry. Pulling a gun and not being able to pull the trigger is a recipe for disaster. Drawing a gun and using it as a threat may work but I would'nt advise depending on that.

If you do decide to carry then you need to take as much training as possible and then practice, practice practice.

Good luck to you and stay safe.

[edit on 13-7-2007 by duster]

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
hikix, I am a retired New York State Police officer. First I would like to tell you that based on the circumstances you described, deadly force would have been an acceptable response to the threat that loser posed (assuming that, like you said, escape was impossible).

It is very unfortunate that the law makers take guns away from responsible upstanding citizens. It's just too bad that you didn't have a gun with you to put a couple in that guys chest.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Alright....a reallistic man. good advise. Move fellow...it can't be worth all that. When you can't stand on a street or go to your car without worrying if your going to get killed, its time to rethink where can I live my life with out fear. I visited my sister in Long Island New York for over a month, wow , how on earth do people live this way every day is beyound me. Oh so stressful, be safe and get a gun for sure. Take care

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I don't wan't to sound like an a-hole or anything....but maybe the mexican dude just picked up a new machette at the flea market. Upon carrying it home, he and his friends joked about how funny it would be to continue walking the way they were, but revealing to the white guy in front of them that they have a machette...just to see the reaction so that they may later have more laughs on his behalf. Sure the ones not holding the machette looked pretty damn scared, probobly scared that the white guy wouldn't find the whole machette thing very funny and pull a gun out and shoot them all.
My friends and I once did similar things with our very real looking paintball guns to some kind folk in front of us that felt the need to flick us off for no reason other than to try to start a fight. The look on their face and the sound of their car screeching away was at the time very worth it. Ofcourse I was an immature teenager back then.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 05:17 AM
link   
1. Tactical awareness. Always be aware and respond accordingly. In a perfect world you would have never been there when they came walking up, you would have walked up to a house and pretended like you lived there, walked to a store, got into your car (or whatever else). There is NO substitute for tactical awareness.

2. Look intimidating. I never get messed with, I have never been in a fight (I'm 27) and for one simple reason - I don't look like the kind of guy you should mess with. I've lived in some pretty bad parts of town, cases when I was the racial minority by something like 95%. Been in all kinds of situations where predators should flock to me like "white on rice" but they never do, because they know
(btw I'm not a big guy, not very muscular and all that). Watch some animal planet, you'll learn that 3/4 of "fighting" and "defense" is nothing more than posturing.

3. Learn a bit of (practical) self defense. Pressure point stuff, like hitting someone in the throat, the where large bundles of nerves are, or how to break a wrist in 2 seconds. Almost any bad buy will take a few bruises, no one wants a broken wrist.

4. Exercise.

5. Carry some form of a weapon.

6. Know when you hold'm and know when to fold'm.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   
You can always carry a gun, just don't do anything that will get a cop to search you.

Self preservation trumps submission to the Law IMO, if you really feel that your in danger, then by all means, carry a firearm. Worst case scenario, you have to use it and ditch it.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by hikix
One of the guys starts getting loud and reaches into his sock and pulls out a MACHETE!!!! I saw the fear in the other two's eyes, they were looking at him like they KNEW he was going to use it on me.

Sounds like you have a decision to make. Either follow the illegal laws preventing you from properly defending yourself, or take your protection into your own hands and carry a gun regardless.

I have a concealed carry permit in Virginia and often travel to Washington DC where handguns are illegal. I still carry in DC regardless, risking a felony charge.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vixion
Firstly, its good to still have you with us then.

Why not take up some martial arts lessons ? guns arnt always the first step

I study brazilian jiu-jitsu and muay thai, two of the most formidable forms of martial arts on the planet. I also carry a 9mm and own over 100 firearms. Martial arts would not be your first choice when confronted w/ a machete. I recommend reading some self-defense books before dispensing advice like this.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leyla

Originally posted by Vixion
Firstly, its good to still have you with us then.

Why not take up some martial arts lessons ? guns arnt always the first step

Glad your ok. I agree take martial arts lessions. I think you would stand a better change against a machete anyway then a gun.

So you think martial arts would be more effective than being able to defense yourself from 20+ yards away? Interesting...even the most basic training methods (and common sense) would disagree with you. When the enemy has a weapon, you do not want to be up close and personal...unless you have the element of surprise.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by subject x
There are pros and cons to this law, and you still have to justify your actions, probably in court. In the end, though, you're better off in court then in the morgue, right?

I think there are some people who are so fearful of firearms (via their ignorance of them) that they would disagree with you here and state you are better off dead...

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 11:12 PM
link   
In Texas when a guy pulls out a machete we just say ‘That’s really dumb to bring a knife to a gun fight”…hehe

One of the greatest parts about America that hardly anyone talks about the ability for each state to be different based on the local popular vote.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Going all the way back the the OP.
I know almost all the neighbors on my block. I hope none of these people own guns.
The crazy old lady accross the street that screams at my kids when they ride their bikes up and down the street or who called the cops when our cat got out and actually had the audacity to chase birds in her yard, does not need to own a gun.

The loser who lives next to us who has been arrested for drug possession & intent to manufacture drugs, who thinks it is normal to get drunk on the weekend and scream obscenities at his wife & kids, does not need to own a gun.

The college kids 2 houises down who get drunk every weekend playing beer pong & passing out in the front yard do not need to own guns,

The teenage punks who dress like they scavenged their clothes at a gothic thrift shop in Transylvania, and who are going to end up in jail or on welfare do not need to own guns.

When it comes right down to it, I guess I'm the only one on our block that should own a gun......LOL .....I wonder what they think of me though, "The guy who is up all night on the internet, who washes and waxes his riding lawn mower, who built an impregnatable and nearly indestructable mailbox so anyone that tries to bash it will severly injure themselves, the guy who mows his neighbors grass if he lets it get too high.....ect" Yeah I'm sure they don't think I should own a gun either.

[edit on 29-8-2007 by Sparky63]

[edit on 29-8-2007 by Sparky63]

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
First and foremost, the 2nd Amendment specifies that "the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." Unfortunately, since there is a preamble to this amendment that is somewhat unclear the actual meaning has been fought over for years. Even more unfortunately for New Yorkers, the State of New York and NYC have seen fit to deprive their citizens of any and all 2nd Amendment rights (Thanks Rudy!), as have most of the liberally-oriented states in the Northeast.

This means that the OP has 2 options: Defy the law and rely on the "12 peers trying me vs. 6 carrying me" or else put up with things as they are.

It actually is that stark and unfortunate a choice until we finally have a Supreme Court that recognizes the total and literal authority of the Constitution over popular opinion and "emanations from penumbras" that have defined judicial lawmaking since FDR hijacked the Supreme Court.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Wow, it's def been a while since i made this thread.. and it did bring back alot of bad memories and anger.... I've read through everyones posts and I would like to thank everyone for sympathizing with me and 'being on my side'.

Anyway, I would like to point out that if things didn't work out the same EXACT way that they did, and if my co-worker didn't pick me up at that same EXACT time.... i would probably be dead.

And, I also want to stress the fact that this man had a machete... he did not have a pocket knife.. it was concealed in his knee high sock. He took that machete out with him that night to use it one someone... i was the target (maybe not his last).

I put it behind me, and no longer have a job that takes me to neighborhoods like that.... thanks for the support everyone!

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Hikix:

First...glad you are okay! Secondly...I would suggest you check with your state and local authorities to see if they have a concealed weapons permit that you can apply for. States and local jurisdictions vary. If you absolutely can't carry a gun on you legally, I would suggest other alternatives. These would include, but are not limited to: a stun gun, an ASP (steel baton), a can of mace/pepper spray (some spray a streamline a good distance), or worst case scenario...fill a small spray bottle with Bo-Peep Ammonia and keep it in your pocket.

There are many non lethal...but effective...self defense items on the market today. I would recommend you take a look at a "GALLS" catalog.

Hope you can find the answer that is right for you that will afford you a peace of mind!

DbleOh7

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Only a few weeks late..

First, glad you are okay. That's always top priority for anyone.
Second, As far as CCW goes. It's a good idea. What many who don't research into CCW don't understand is that this is NOT learn to shoot and use your gun only. A CCW will teach when to use and what to do before your "last" resort. I may even be wrong in other states but that is how it is in Texas. We learn that before we shoot we should run through a checklist (given you may only have half a second) and if nothing else can be done, put a hole in him... or her...

I agree with the poster above me (sorry, forgot the name) Check up with GALLS but be sure to check laws before ordering batons, gloves, spray, etc. Some places are great about saying Yes you can order it and have it sent but you can't own that. Here in Texas we had a withdraw when the Castle Doctrine came into effect in September. We can now own, transport and keep our handguns in our vehicles (finally I am legal to do that) BUT do not have it where it can be seen. We also cannot carry those extending batons GALLs has.

Just check the PD or something and they will tell you.

EAGLE

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Why can't I carry a gun?!?!?

Because silly, it's part of the Constitution.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Because you live in New York.....

I live in New Mexico, and I don't leave the house unarmed. If I were you I would carry a gun even if it is illegal, it's your right as an American to keep and bear arms no matter where you are. Just don't let the cops see it.

(not responsible if this advice gets you arrested or tasered or killed)

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by hikix

It would be a good idea to learn some form of self defense. I personally think Muay Thai is by the far the most affective unarmed defense. Very preemptive and strong in a one on one. The best defense is a good offense, haha. I've been in quite a few "situations" and only 2 with a knife. One , there was one I subdued with talking tough and the other one had his knee blown out and jaw smashed up. A machete is a little bigger than what I've seen though. Scary, no way around it.

3 on 1 is always a wild situation. I've been outnumbered a few times and if you have confidence and usually go after the instigator with complete disregard for his physical well being.. The others are usually put off by that and will try and break it up or won't do anything. In some cases even run. In any case, you want to have control and you want to present yourself as the alpha of the group. We're just animals and we understand dominance. If you've ever seen a brown bear come up on a wolverine by accident, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Either way, it's a sad case that you can't even do your job without scumbags hasseling you with a full sized machete. Some weaker people need that kind of control in their lives. People like this are all in all, the worst kind of people we can have walking among us. They'll resort to any action to have any meaningless form of power over others. Based on this attempt for power they should be put down.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join