It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We almost don't exist...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Hi, just putting down another of my scientific ponderings. Less to do with the universe this time.

I read a while ago that 99.9999etc.% of the universe is not there. No - I'm not talking about dark matter or any of that other crap they use to fill up mass scientists can account for. There are gaps between each atom, with small gaps in the atoms themselves, meaning that just over 0% of us exists...the rest is gaps in the atoms.

I then got to thinking about the usefulness of taking these gaps out and shrinking objects (ie a pocket-sized car which could be enlarged again).

For a while I thought that this idea was a great one.
Then I finally came to realise that the gaps were in the atoms - what could I take out? it's not air between the gaps - air is too big. I then came to the conclusion that we are actually 99.99% nothing! Between the atoms there is a vaccuum - there is no air or any atoms - they are too big.

Any thoughts on this?

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I'm big on THE VOID. In the beginning it was there...

It's like God's mom...or in fact, IS God.

I can't help but see the vastness of space and relative infinitesimalness of planets and orbiting moons as mere atomic structures to the view of the VOID.

Universes in universes. Of course, all my scientific knowledge comes from the Mork & Mindy episode where Robin Williams shrank down into a parrallel universe...but that's beside the point.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I remember my 8th grade science teacher telling us about someone's thesis paper or something... anyway they proved if you took all the empty space out of them, you could cram all the world's battle ships into the size of a hat pin. He also added that that was years ago, so maybe it could be proven smaller. Interesting lil story.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   
And the of the othe 0.0000001% (subatomic particles), we are not even sure that they exist. Electrons for example cannot be efectively measurd, because they could be in all possibles places at once. They can't be measured properly.

More hits to our 0.000000001% existance.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
The wonder of physics makes everyone feel small

It is of course that beings that teoretically don't exist are able to study all this.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Maybe we DON'T exist. I read somewhere that it is quite possible that we are mere holograms. That we are nothing but a Giant Projection on a black screen. But who knows... Your idea sounds okay, and if it DOES work, we probably won't master it for a very long time...

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
here is a link to the holographic universe theory here

back on subject, couldn't these gaps between and inside atoms be connected to the big bang theory assuming the big bang did happen the way we have theorized that it would, all matter is expanding in all directions from the point where the big bang took place(if it did). maybe this empty space is the result of all the particles expanding away from each other.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
never thought of that before... Yeah, that sounds like a plausible theory...

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Then that space would be getting bigger and bigger all the time. Which is virtually impossible because of orbitals, distribution of electrons, polarities etc...

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 06:28 PM
link   
wouldnt this theory fit the idea that life and the universe is an illusion of ourselves, basically thought from god or the higher plane leaking through and creating everything out of nothing in the physical reality?

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
Then that space would be getting bigger and bigger all the time. Which is virtually impossible because of orbitals, distribution of electrons, polarities etc...

If the viewer is expanding at the same rate as the object being viewed (and the microscope, and the room, etc.) we'd never notice. We assume things don't change because of arbitrary measurements. IF everything was twice as big every day, then rulers would be too.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
We exist in one dimension...study as you wish...make some scientifical conclusion...and then broaden it. Meaning this...we are here...then you only exist in this dimesion...and people study it...then science is here to give things a number or a name...but...in the end...the dimension we know and love is too perfect...remember if one of those "numbers" were to be just a little off...we wouldn't exist...hrmmmmmm?

new topics

top topics

join