It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ultimate Question to Life, The Universe and Everything

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Hi I'm kind of bored, so I decided to start a thread for the heck of it.

Anyone read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series? (I think you only need to have read the first two to understand this thread...)

Does anyone have any ideas for The Utimate Question to Life, The Universe and Everything?

Hint: The answer is 42.

Any questions? (And you're not allowed 6x7!)

The mice in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy suggested "How many roads must a road walk dowm?"

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Google it! Here's a decent collection of 42 sightings and possible explanations: 42

But far from my favorite site (which has been shut down).

At one time, I've seen hundreds and hundreds of collected sightings and explanations, but still have my own theory (which relates to THE VOID, from another post of yours).

Sacred Geometric Principle of the Void (aka 42):
That being, no Triangle (God) may occupy more than 42% of the Circle (Void) it defines by the circumscription of it's THREE defining points.

There's a fractal formula yet to be discovered between 3 and 42 (in my opinion) that explains the Chaos of conciousness.

Play with the Trilogy of Prime existants sometime: Circle (Void), Triangle (God), and Square (Reality). Unless you are prone to OCD in which case I recommend you avoid this sort of thinking completely.

Another favorite theory (Biblical) is that all the 40 references (40 days and nights of rain, 40 years wandering the desert) were just supposed to mean "ALOT". Doug Adams gave "ALOT" a slightly more scientific basis in his refined theory: 42.

Of course, Adams himself says he just made it up. It sounded right...to be funny it had to be sufficiently high, yet small enough to be graspable.

By the way, it was already my favorite number before HHGTTG came out and FLOORED me to see it in print in that context.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
It was 8 x 7, that's what Arthur pulled out of the scrabble bag that Arthur had made!

How that works, however, I dunno...Could have been influenced by all the phone sanitizers...

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Here is another site that tackles the issue of 42.

www.empirenet.com...

There are many "strange" sites that talk about 42 and combinations of 42. AND think about this...42 --4+2=6

www.symbols.com...

www.greaterthings.com...

www.jondavis.net...

www.bibleinsight.com...

42 42 42--666

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
It was 8 x 7, that's what Arthur pulled out of the scrabble bag that Arthur had made!

How that works, however, I dunno...

I'm a fan of fuzzy math for this reason. It's points to truth whereas truisms do not.

1 + 1 = 3 says more that we intuitively already know than 1 + 1 = 2 could ever hope to accomplish.

More fuzzy truths relating to how we intuitively think, especially regarding patterns, God, conciousness and reality: Everything happens in threes, or it is not recognized, 3 + 3 = 7 (the sum is greater than it's parts), 3 + 7 = 11 (conciousness is a construct of reality that points to a creator/God...but in itself is more)

You know, the usual. In this fuzzy math thinking, there is some finite number that represents knowable infinity.

That finite infinity is 42. It's good enough anyway.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I dont know about 42 but for thousands of years the meaning of life has been basically to kick their AZZ and take their women.

I dont see it changing in the near future

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by NetStorm
Here is another site that tackles the issue of 42.

www.empirenet.com...

THAT's the really good one I lost! Thanks NS!!!!

But last I tried his e-mail for sighting submissions was down.

If you would like to include your own "sightings" of FORTY-TWO, you can use the handy-dandy submittal form or mail me your sighting, [email protected]. And get your name on our Submitter's List!.

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   
This idea of finding significance in the number 42 merely suggests the creativity of certain individuals. It seems to me from a purely symbolic standpoint that the author was trying to imply that the answer to the "meaning" is absurd as the question. There is no great answer simply because life cannot be solved like a Math problem.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 04:33 AM
link   
i love hitchhikers guide and read them all but heres an intersting thing on the way to chicgo ill from missouri there is a 3 way intersection that point to 42 in all 3 directions lol

top topics

join