Popularity Contest: Venom or Magneto

page: 1

join

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I was just wondering what you all think.

I was on a Spider-Man board and someone had made a post asking why Magneto gets his own movie but Venom doesn't.
I said its because while Venom is cool, there isn't much there. He's a cut and dry bad guy, while Magneto has actual depth, character and there's something there to learn and perhaps sympathise with (I know I do).

Anywho one of his arguments for a Venom movie was that Venom was a more popular villain than Magneto... so do you agree with him?

The Master of Magnetism or the Lethal Protector? Cast your vote!

SR

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   
It kind of boils down to the fact that although Venom is such a cool character you can't really give him his own Movie without Spiderman being involved where as Magneto was around along time before the X-men and has a much more 'viewer friendly' story you can make the audience feel sorry for ole Mags cause he's basically got the whole WW2 concentration camp past going on and all he wants to do is protect his people i.e. the mutants so you can make people sympathise with him in a way i.e. he does what he has to do for the greater good etc. etc.

Where as on the other hand if we skip 'Secret Wars' Venom is basically a parasite that was rejected by it's master i.e. Peter Parker found another host and moulded it's current host to get revenge on Spiderman although yes Spiderman was cruel to Venom it's going to be hard for the director to convince the kids that Venom can and will kick Spidey's ass one hundred different shades of blue.

Especially with Spiderman being Marvel's number 1 breadwinner and sadly they won't because the majority of film companies today wouldn't want to get involved even if the script and story was perfect i.e. showing the cool Venom that fans like you and I know him as being the anti-hero and fighting people like the Wolverine and Juggernaut etc. The companies wouldn't want to back it because it would be a risk were as good old 'Hero saves the day happy plot ending guy gets girl blah blah blah' stories have made Hollywood the bulk of it's profit for most of it's existence.

I just hope they start writing Venom better in the damn comics first!!! Never mind a movie lol..Mac Gargan Venom is sucking badly in T-Bolts.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by JackofBlades

I was on a Spider-Man board and someone had made a post asking why Magneto gets his own movie but Venom doesn't.

I don't think it has anything do do with who is cooler or more marketable or which villain would make a better movie.

As you know, the Spider-Man movies are made by Sony and the X-movies are from Fox.
Each studio has a different staff and different thinkers. Fox made X3 to be the final X-Men movie but still wanted to milk the franchise for all it's worth. Their ideas were to "spin-off" Magneto and Wolverine.
Sony's milking of Spider-Man wont be in the form of spin offs but instead they will make more sequels.

As for which movie I'd like to see? Neither.
I don't like the idea of a "Young Magneto" movie and the movie Venom wasn't interesting enough for me to want to watch a whole movie about him.

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax

As for which movie I'd like to see? Neither.
I don't like the idea of a "Young Magneto" movie and the movie Venom wasn't interesting enough for me to want to watch a whole movie about him.
I agree with what you had said about the two baddies not being as interesting without the x-men or without the likes of the web head.The movies would be pointless and would be a loss for sony and fox, the only good idea is the solo wolverine movie which would probably feature sabertooth and the rest of the clan from weapon x.
It would be great if you guys come visit my thread "who's the best artist of all time ??"

[edit on 3-7-2007 by steve-o]

join