It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So We Have a Post Rating/Member Rating System Now?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5

Originally posted by Odium
This topic is about the rating system. What you yourself said really has nothing to do with it, yet after 3 votes you are on 4 stars. How is that on the content of what he posted? How is it being used to show us worthwhile posts? Or is it fine for us to go off topic now?

No, actually what he has is an average of 4 stars. Meaning someone gave him a 5 star rating, most likely because they thought it was funny, and I know he got a two star, cause I thought it was off topic but slightly amusing. Someone else obviously gave him a three of four star. I don’t think this is going to be abused as much as you think it will, most of us are fair and base it on the work and thought put into the post, averaged with whether or not we agree with it, and it follows T&C. So far when I have given out stars, three is for an average post, and I might drop or raise it one if I disagree or agree with the poster. If they put in a significant amount of work, then say four stars, and five for something that I either wholeheartedly agree with or that took a lot of work to produce. If they broke T&C, went totally off topic, added no work, or anything significant to the thread, then I might give them a one.

Explain why: Minnie gets two ratings of 1 star for asking questions.
Why I get a 2 star rating for answering her.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Popularity Contests here we come!

Well thats another 1 star click for you.

Just keep it up mister!

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I think all of us are over reacting just a bit here. For one thing, we're 'starring' all over the place. I think this is just the newness of the latest toy. It is my opinion that this will pass.

I do think that there will be modifications to this system as we go along, and so we ought make suggestions that staff can take or leave, as they see fit. And while I am not agreeing with The Master of Puppets (Big O) on this, his ideas are as valid as any.

Once the new wears off I expect that the stars will be used much like the flagging. Only when someone is really impressed with a post will they bother to even click on the stars.

In the spirit of suggestions, maybe the stars can be used double or triple by mods in the same way that applause is used?

Maybe a star turning red could serve as an unofficial warning that a poster was bordering on being obnoxious?

Maybe the stars will be reset every full moon?

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   
NGC2736 - why should Minnie or any other member bother to answer a question when they get "down rated" for doing such a thing?

Why should anyone bother to answer them? Was my information flase - no. So why a 2 Star rating? Simple - people who disagree with what I said, fancied keeping the ratings low. Instead of: Posting information which would help Minnie more and correcting me.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout

Popularity Contests here we come!

Well thats another 1 star click for you.

Just keep it up mister!

Please don't ruin the new system already. It's just been installed. Give it a test run instead of complaining. Just vote/rate and stop telling everyone how you voted/rated. When a post has been rated many times, it will even out. If your post stinks, well... one star for you

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Have we ever though about the fact that anyone that gives someone a 1-star only because they don't agree, and they refuse to judge a post by quality are simply not worth worrying about?

*edit - forgot a word. *

[edit on 5/16/07 by niteboy82]

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Hmmmmm....

As I see it, this is still a work in progress. Nothing is finalized yet, as apparent from the ever moving stars.

Give S.O. a chance to finish it, before you make any judgements.

And besides, we still don't know the "official" rules that apply to the star ratings, or how exactly it works.

2 cents.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82
Have we ever though about the fact that anyone that gives someone a 1-star only because they don't agree, and they refuse to judge a post by quality are simply not worrying about?

If they are not worth worrying about why allow them to ruin someones average rating?

You already see it being abused in less than what 24hrs of it being here.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
Please don't ruin the new system already. It's just been installed.

Yeah, I wouldnt want to be known as the guy who broke the stars.

Just vote/rate and stop telling everyone how you voted/rated.

OK, then I wont tell you how many stars I gave you. But just so you know, its really really really hard not to. I think I am gonna have a problem with this.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   

less than what 24hrs of it being here.

Yeah, right. "less than 24 hours"...
try less than 3½ hours...

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   
wonder how many stars I have...

lets check...

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt

less than what 24hrs of it being here.

Yeah, right. "less than 24 hours"...
try less than 3½ hours...

Exactly...

Now look at Minnie's rating. She asked a question about the Stars and she gets down-rated. FANTASTIC!

link   
You have 5, WOOOOOT!!!

link   
I'm still curious as to why we need this, I mean if it's to encourage people to make good posts,
well should'nt they be doing that without being rewarded?

Do we really want people posting who only do it to be rewarded with stars?

link   
Although I don't know the details of the new Star system any method that allows me to acknowledge a single post by another member is a good thing.
Cheers xpert11.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I agree with odium. This rating system is going to be scrapped pretty soon.
Everyone is going around giving people 1 star. Stop the madness!

link   
Odium, I actually gave you three stars for a good question on your last post , and two on the one where you answered Minnie.

Here was my reasoning: she got a couple of stars for an fair question, though I would have gave her three if the question could not have been answered by reading some of the back posts, and I gave you two for a civil answer to what could have been a reason to tell her to read instead of asking. yet I could have went to three if you had bothered to explain the system a bit better. That was how I saw the exchange.

I think that this will work. It may require time, and a breaking in period, but it could really cut down on some bad/irritating behavior.

Note: except for this trial run here, in reality in a thread I would have just went on without any stars for either of you. So any stars would be better than no stars.

[ Edit for clarity.]

[edit on 16-5-2007 by NGC2736]

[edit on 16-5-2007 by NGC2736]

link   

Now look at Minnie's rating. She asked a question about the Stars and she gets down-rated. FANTASTIC!

Why do you care? Minnie's not complaining, so stop worrying about it.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone

Why do you care? Minnie's not complaining, so stop worrying about it.

Why should she be punished for asking a question?

This page has now 7 threads, 6 when she asked. People have lives, they miss things we don't always have time to check every single page of a thread. So we ask questions - I thought ATS was here to Deny Ignorance, to learn? So now we punish people who try and learn?

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Thank you, spacedoubt.

You've just given us the perfect example for my point of view.

Well, you are quite welcome!
I just looooooove, being an example.

To be even more frank, and honest.
This whole thread reminds me of an office meeting!

Where a dozen people will sit around speculating about something in the next room..for 30-40 minutes they speculate..Unless I am in the meeting. I am the guy, that leaves the meeting, actually walks into the next room, finds out the answer, then walks back in..

I don't know how the star thingie works either.
I might as well hop on the specualtion bandwagon.

I think it's there to improve the quality of posts. Plain and simple.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join