It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So We Have a Post Rating/Member Rating System Now?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
So ats has now turned into a popularity contest? No offense, but this rating system is pretty pathetic.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
OK, this is getting out of hand, calm down man, it's only the internet, nobody cares or even has a clue who you are. You don't need to get all worked up just because some people don't agree with you.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Voting for members on anything other than a positive is a complete no-no in my opinion. It will result in immediate drama, and we would be hurting ourselves if we ever considered it.

If members, in your opinion, are behaving in an inappropriate manner and derailing threads, submit a Complaint.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

If the negative thing could somehow be limited to bad conduct like derailing, red herrings and seriously rude posts I could get behind this, but it will be abused by binary knee jerk mentality.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
ATS is a community like no other. It's proven it can be trusted. This is just another method to place increased editorial control/management into the hands of every member.

Yet we already see abuse in this very thread.

I like the idea of Stars - so does he - he gets 5.
They don't like it - but I do - he gets 1.

People are not rating on the content of the post or the discussion but if they disagree or not. All I have to do is make 1 post in a long topic and I can down-rate to my hearts content!

I like flags, because if I disagree with a thread - I can post on the thread and argue to my hearts content. But I don't flag it. In fact, I probably won't use another star again (The first few was testing how it worked before I fully understood it.)

Do you think a new member who makes a mistake, this will help him to contribute when he ends up with 1star off of the bat?

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Well I for one would be loath to give stars except for merit. I would not waste my time giving one or two stars to someone unless they were being an obnoxious idiot, and then only on a really horrible post.

By the same token, there would only be few posts that I would use more than four on. Earlier I gave four(or tried )to John Oldham, who I have a great deal of respect for. And this was in conjunction with a thread that I felt was very well thought out, and with which I had much agreement.

I honestly don't see this being that much of an issue.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   
You think this is cool?

Just wait until we're able to moon each other..

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
You think this is cool?

Just wait until we're able to moon each other..

I doubt anyone wants to see that hairy backside spacedoubt.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Forgive me for not reading anything in this thread prior to posting, but I'd like to add that I hope this will be a positive development on the board.

My only criticism would be the position of both items...

I'd like to see the member rating beneath the points bar, and the post rating also positioned further down in the post area.

Otherwise, I look forward to seeing how this new rating system will work out.

It's always nice to see ATS try new things.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Thank you, spacedoubt.

You've just given us the perfect example for my point of view.

This topic is about the rating system. What you yourself said really has nothing to do with it, yet after 3 votes you are on 4 stars. How is that on the content of what he posted? How is it being used to show us worthwhile posts? Or is it fine for us to go off topic now?

(Sorry to use you, waited for the first person to do it to be honest.)

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
Thank you, spacedoubt.

(Sorry to use you, waited for the first person to do it to be honest.)

How dare you speak to a mod like that. * angry mob (or Mod?)chases him*

[edit on 16-5-2007 by thehumbleone]

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Okay. I dont really understand this star rating thing. Are these stars only on this thread or on all threads because i dont see stars on other threads.
Could some one please fill me in on this rating thing?!?

[edit on 16-5-2007 by minnie]

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Minnie - so far I do not think they've had it to posts made prior to the Stars system being introduced. So older posts can't be rated nor do I think it is on BTS and PTS (because ATS usually gets stuff first.)

I assume: 5 Stars = Fantastic.
1 Star = worthless.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Thanks Odium.

Will BTs get this rating thing or is it only for ATs? This is confusing.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by minnie
Thanks Odium.

You'd have to wait for SO to answer that.

However Minnie's first post was a question and someone rated her 1 star. She tried to find something out and was punished. I'm already loving this system more and more.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by minnie

probably will, eventually.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

I'd like to see the member rating beneath the points bar

It didn't take long until your wish was granted.

I think this new system is great! We can flag threads, but now we can also rate posts. This is great. If you believe a post is bad, I believe you can rate it as 1 or 2. If it's in the middle, rate it 3. If it's good, rate it 4. If it's excellent, rate it 5. That's how I understand this system.

link   
Hey, the stars moved to the bottom of our profile now. Weird.

link   

Thank you, spacedoubt.

Oh yeah!

Well I disagree with your position about the possibility of the star system being abused, so I clicked the one star on your post!

In fact, I dont think I like you anymore, so I am gonna continue to just click one star every time I see your avatar.

Ah...Can someone click my stars, I dont seem to have any. A 5 wold be nice

[edit on 16-5-2007 by cavscout]

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout

Thank you, spacedoubt.

Oh yeah!

Well I disagree with your position about the possibility of the star system being abused, so I clicked the one star on your post!

In fact, I dont think I like you anymore, so I am gonna continue to just click one star every time I see your avatar.

But we made love!

Well look at it already:

I answered minnie's question: I get a 2 Star Rating. Please where was I wrong? Where was my information false? OH wait...

She asks a question on a new system and gets 1 Star.

Popularity Contests here we come!

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   

This topic is about the rating system. What you yourself said really has nothing to do with it, yet after 3 votes you are on 4 stars. How is that on the content of what he posted? How is it being used to show us worthwhile posts? Or is it fine for us to go off topic now?

No, actually what he has is an average of 4 stars. Meaning someone gave him a 5 star rating, most likely because they thought it was funny, and I know he got a two star, cause I thought it was off topic but slightly amusing. Someone else obviously gave him a three of four star. I don’t think this is going to be abused as much as you think it will, most of us are fair and base it on the work and thought put into the post, averaged with whether or not we agree with it, and it follows T&C. So far when I have given out stars, three is for an average post, and I might drop or raise it one if I disagree or agree with the poster. If they put in a significant amount of work, then say four stars, and five for something that I either wholeheartedly agree with or that took a lot of work to produce. If they broke T&C, went totally off topic, added no work, or anything significant to the thread, then I might give them a one.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join