It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mighty Hamburger

page: 1

join
share:
Cug

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Well I'm kinda known as Mr. Hamburger to my friends so I thought I make a post on how to make the some of the best hamburgers you have ever tasted.

Lets start with the meat. What you want is the 80% "lean" ground beef. Don't even try with that super lean stuff, a hamburger is not healthy no mater what meat you use so don't even try it. 80% only OK?

The best meat is ground at home, but most people are not going to do that so.... Go to a supermarket and get the ground beef that is in the deep trays if you can. The idea behind this is you don't want the meat compressed like it is in the shallow trays with the tight plastic wrap. Whatever you do don't buy those tubes -o- meat.

Next take a pound of the meat and break it up into smaller pieces into a bowl or just onto of a cutting board like I do (plastic please) now cover with fresh ground pepper, salt and onion powder.. you are not frosting a cake here what you was is a good sprinkle covering. Next put a heavy dose of worcestershire over everything and let it soak in 3 or 4 min. If you don't have any worcestershire handy use some soy sauce but use a little less and skip the salt. (soy sauce will smoke like crazy when you cook it so open a window)

Now using just your fingertips lightly mix everything together.. Lightly I said! that's better. You don't want to mush everything together just get it good and mixed up. Now divide the meat in half and each half into half again. Now take each portion of meat and gently make a patty out of it just under 1/2 inch thick. Just be gentle with it you don't want to man handle you meat. (Ohhh that sounds dirty).

I prefer using a cast Iron Skillet for making burgers. So get it smoking hot and drop the patties on it.. watch it closely and when it looks like it has cooked almost halfway up the side flip them over and turn down the heat.

Never never ever squash your patty to see if they are done!!!

After a few min put your cheese on top and cover with a lid.. when the chess is melted your burger is done. (if your worried about it use a thermometer to check it.. don't squish!)

No mater what your fav condiment is put a thin layer of Mayo on your bun first.. it will help keep the bun from getting soggy.

One of my favorite toppins is to melt some butter in a pan, take a pineapple ring, dry it off with a paper towel and brown it in the butter. Yum Yum Yum.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Sounds incredibly awesome. I like to use ground chuck or ground round, depending upon what looks the best in the meat case. You'll get a lot more shrinkage with the ground chuck, tho (like a frightened, chilly swimmer).

I like to toast the buns in another skillet to minimize sogginess. And grill up some onions >yum

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
oh man... I love me some hamburgers...

I love it when they're frying up... the smell is awesome and to get that greasy, cheesy goodness in my belly... mmm mmm

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   
My problem is not eating the raw ground beef before I get a chance to make the patties.
I likes mine with good crispy bacon, avacado slices, mayo, swiss cheese and alfalfa sprouts (i.e. California style!!).

Now if people start coming in this thread talking about how they put strawberry jam and maple syrup on a hamburger, I'm really gonna lose it!!!!

Peace

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
A hobby I have had for a long time. I travel around to all the small drive-ins and greasy spoons I can find to have bacon cheeseburgers. I know some dives that have the best burgers and people have no idea.

When I go far away on vacation is always fun because then it's new territory.

Cug

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
zed,

You might like this site www.roadfood.com...

I have the same hobby

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Even better than beef burger: the almighty ostrich.

Ostrich burgers are even yummier. Though I eat hamburgers several times a week and can't afford the ostrich very often.

Hamburgers are the perfect food. Colon be damned.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 01:37 AM
link   
As somebody who worked in the meat department at the local supermarket, I respect your mighty burger. In my role as "Mr. Meat Massacre," I developed a taste for raw ground beef. Mmmmmm...tasty. I like my burgers super rare, like just barely browned on either side. If it is fully cooked, I insist that it be pan fried in a generous amount of butter, to make it nice and crispy.

I shall try your "super burger." And I will no doubt like it, because nothing beats eating ground up cow. If there were a Battle between the condiments, worstershire sauce would probably win, because it is the most bad-a$$ of the condiments. Next in line is ranch dressing, which I would probably substitute for Mayo in this case.

Worstershire and Ranch, supreme rulers of the dinner table!

top topics

join