It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unstoppable Disasters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Imagine if there was an event, which would mean the end of mankind, an asteroid the size of the moon heading towards earth or a black hole in route with the sun. Something which would ultimately destroy all life on this planet�and there is nothing we can do� nothing at all. All we can do is wait for it to happen.

I�m not totally sure on all the details, but if a black hole were to move too close to the sun, the gravity of it would pull the sun towards it, sucking it in, condensing it into the �Singularity�. This would mean the sun getting dragged away or towards us. If it was away, we would drift away into the depths space, if it were too close, we would get engulfed by it.

Any thoughts?

[Edited on 4-1-04 by Datters]

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 09:06 AM
link   
We didn't manage to step foot in another system, or even a planet within our own system.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   
dont know what i would do (too unstable to plan ahead) but i do have some suggestions or thoughts on this.

(of course this situation has to be inevitable, too late to do anything, nothing can be done, said my farewells, etc, etc)

a) get drugged up and try to be in alternate dimension when it happens.

b) meditate and send my astral soul high above the earth to witness the destruction from high above

c) time travel (i missed last night coast to coast broadcast, that guy was gonna talk about time travel)

e) fight to live till the end, go underground, pack supplies, you know the whole end of the world scenario

d)just wait and let it happen, go with flow (probably would be my choice if it happened now, I haven't had time to investigate or rule out the other options yet)

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   
i'd go looting.......ur house is first on my list

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   
how mean!!!!

but since i won't live to miss anything, you are welcome to take whatever I got.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   
If a black hole is powerful enough to consume the sun, we'd go right with it. If the black hole wasn't directly pulling us, the sun would pull us behind it. I know nothing of the atmospheric studies, but i'd think that our atmosphere/us/anything not permenantly attached to the crust would be sucked up first. Maybe not. (kinda irrelivent if you ask me)

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 11:51 PM
link   
im damn sure if a killer metor was coming,

every gov that can would try killing it, but then, whe its exploded, the broken parts will come falling down, unless we dof have a weapon powerfull enf to reflect the piecses

now if a blackhole came, well sh*t ill be praying for who/whatever could save us...

maybe if alians are real, they might try saving some people, but theres noway in hell they can save everyone.

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 03:48 AM
link   
That would be kinda odd, a black hole sucking people off the planet, Just imagine seeing people falling up! then the nasty bit of imploding when the atmosphere gets to thin.

Secondly, why would aliens save US? What would WE have to offer them? if the have the tech to move 6Billion people from one planet to another, or onto their ship, what could we teach them?

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Maybe they are just kind people and want to help for no reward?

Maybe they are extremely advanced spititually and dont see death as anything to worry about.

I don't doubt such a race would have a problem changing the course of a meteor.

Such a disaster has already been calcualted to happen... in about 3 billion years the milky way and andromeda are going to collide.

Not that we really need to worry about that though, humanity will most likey have killed itself by then

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 06:44 AM
link   
too many there are only a couple of things to do before any unstoppable disaster where to come.
1. say goodbye to loved ones
2. have a last meal
3. go surfing
in all honesty, i'd rather die doing something i love, rather than just wait for the inevitable to come.

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Datters
I�m not totally sure on all the details, but if a black hole were to move too close to the sun, the gravity of it would pull the sun towards it, sucking it in, condensing it into the �Singularity�. This would mean the sun getting dragged away or towards us. If it was away, we would drift away into the depths space, if it were too close, we would get engulfed by it.

Depends, of course, on the size of the black hole. The nearest one (in Saggitarius) has a mass of about 3 million times our sun's mass. Black holes of less than 10x solar mass would turn our system into an x-ray binary.bustard.phys.nd.edu...

Planet Earth would be gone by the time the black hole and sun got within a few AU of each other. I forget how huge the burning solar matter projections are when a black hole's swallowing a sun, but the hot plasma streams at least to the distance of Jupiter.

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 07:51 AM
link   
We'd never be immediately absorbed by the black hole... we'd be stuck within the event horizon for a very very long time...

A nice painful, lingering death. Now, when we cross the event horizon, that'll be different!

About an asteroid... I've been writing a D&D campaign where its history is our modern times (the setting is still a normal D&D type world). An asteroid was discovered to be on 'conflict' with the earth, the governments set up a survival colony on the moon... anyway, the asteroid calculations were off; the asteroid it the moon, breaking it in two... one half crashed into the world, ending everything, and the second half contained the colony (eventually, they became the 'gods' which started life on earth).

Oops... tangent!

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Hm...............Id think it was pretty #ing cool, actually! Getting sucked up by a black hole! That would be so cool! I hope it happens!

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by soothsayer
We'd never be immediately absorbed by the black hole... we'd be stuck within the event horizon for a very very long time...

A nice painful, lingering death. Now, when we cross the event horizon, that'll be different!

I remember hearing something of this, but i cant quite remember. Could you perhaps enlighten us?

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 06:29 AM
link   
^To outside observers we would appear to be stuck(outside observers? Maybe the aliens.) around the event horizon, we on the other hand would be almost instantenously pulled down into the singularity. The reason we "appear" to be stuck is because the outside observer cannot see beyond the event horizon i.e. no light can escape beyond this point. The light that does escape from the Event Horizon makes us appear to Red Shift, that is the change in frequency required to escape the Event Horizon. As we approached the Black Hole our bodies would be decimated by the tidal forces before they are Spaghettified into a stream of atoms as we correan into the blackhole. The outside observer would not see any of this, which is probably a good thing.

The problem with blackholes is that the are basically "invisible" to the naked eye, the only thing you can see if the affect they have on nearby stellar objects and photons(light) that travels around them. We are sure of stationary blackholes, but there may be smaller, more insidious ones that lurk in space, moving towards areas with "fresh" mass to absorb. They are natures silent killers and hopefully we never run into them.

[Edited on 19-3-2004 by Sigma]

[Edited on 19-3-2004 by Sigma]

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
The only thing in this universe that we have to fear is ourselves. We are too far from the center of the galaxy to be affected by nearby black holes. And we know about every large (>moon size) asteroid within many a great distance. If one managed to slip by, we have enough nuclear power to crush the godammed thing into sand.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   
If a blackhole sucked you into itself,it would do so one molecule at a time.

[Edited on 19-3-2004 by Daz3d-n-Confus3d]

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I'd try and set of a nuke and see what it's like in person. I'd watch from a safe distance of course.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 06:03 AM
link   
do you think that the government have some kind of escape plan if ther ever is an event like this? Think the guys at Area51 have made a deal with an alien race to save their asses but to leave the wothless ones behind? They may say that they dont, but then again they said that Saddam has Weapons of Mass Destruction

Dont trust them!

[Edited on 22-3-04 by Datters]

top topics

join