It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

XM Satellite Radio... above the FCC - maybe not.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:39 AM
link   
As a subscirber to XM Radio, I was very upset to learn last night that my favorite show on XM will not be broadcast for the next 30 days.

Thats right, the Opie and Anthony Show

Opie and Anthony often comment on American sociopolitical and popular culture. Their popular "cringe" style of entertainment has earned them the sobriquet "shock jocks". Hughes, Cumia and Norton broadcast for approximately five hours per day. Generally speaking, Opie sets the daily flow of the show and introduces topics, while Cumia and Norton provide color commentary. The show has few limits, and covers a wide array of topics interactively, with a great deal of time devoted to callers, and sound bites sent in from listeners.

en.wikipedia.org...

Starting May 15th and stay off for 30 days, becuase of remarks that were made by a guest on the show.

The "shock jocks" are innocent this time.

What were they suspended for:

Condoleeza Rice, Laura Bush & Queen Elizabeth II: A homeless man making a guest appearance on the XM version of the show described how he would like to engage in sexual intercourse withCondoleeza Rice, the US Secretary of State, Laura Bush, the first lady, and Queen Elizabeth II. In the wake of the Don Imus firing there has been speculation that O&A may be fired following the bit aired on their program May 9, 2007 which featured the actual homeless person "Homeless Charlie" saying of Condoleeza Rice, Laura Bush and Queen Elizabeth that he'd "love to f--- that b----." On their Friday show, Opie and Anthony had apologized for the bit by saying, "We apologize to the public officials for comments that were made on our XM show on May 9th. We take very seriously the responsibility that comes with our creative freedom and regret any offense that this segment has caused." On May 15, 2007, XM suspended Opie and Anthony for 30 days.

While I agree the remarks that were made were uncalled for and terrible in nature, O&A didn't say them, they were just there. Besides, XM Radio is supposed to be uncensored.

Now was it the FCC that demanded this suspension, I don't know yet, but I'll bet they're behind it somehow.

I don't have any "official" news stories on this yet, will post them once they're out.

There's supposed to be a huge demonstration / protest at the XM Studios in NY today. I'll post on that as well.

[edit on 16-5-2007 by elevatedone]

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:42 AM
link   
They're still under the control of their employers, who, by the way, are trying to make nice with regulators so they can get their merger with Sirius approved.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:46 AM
link   
ah yes... the merger, I can't beleive I forgot about that...
hmmm interesting to say the least.

30 days is too harsh though, 2 days maybe a week.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Since that particular channel is a special PAY-TO-LISTEN and people have the the ability to have the channel blocked at no cost, this is completely retarded.

Society is really becoming full of *%$$!#$ real fast.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ferretman2
Since that particular channel is a special PAY-TO-LISTEN and people have the the ability to have the channel blocked at no cost, this is completely retarded.

Society is really becoming full of *%$$!#$ real fast.

channel 202 - The Virus, isn't pay to listen anymore. It started out that way, but now it's available to all XM subscribers.

There are parental blocks available for XM channels.

top topics

join