It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans unwilling to vote for certain groups

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   

now the actual headline for the article is "Some Americans Reluctant to Vote for Mormon, 72-Year-Old Presidential Candidates" but that overlooks the fact that atheists score the lowest out of all the groups

from the polls, as of this year:

8% of americans wouldn't vote for a jew
53% wouldn't vote for an atheist
5% wouldn't vote for a black candidate
4% wouldn't vote for a candidate that was catholic
43% wouldn't vote for a homosexual
11% wouldn't vote for a woman
24% wouldn't vote for a mormon
12% wouldn't vote for a hispanic
42% wouldn't vote for a 72-year old candidate
and 30% wouldn't vote for a candidate who had been married for the third time

it goes on to show more historical voting data. what's odd is, why do atheists come in last?

[edit on 5/15/07 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I think the answer to that is that most people who vote are Christians, and there are a lot of Christians in this country.

Unfortunately, most Christians believe that athiests are immoral, evil, or otherwise "broken" and wouldn't make good leadership material. This is due to the bias of many theists, and always has been, probably everywhere in the world. Nobody trusts someone who doesn't believe in something higher than himself.

I don't know why. Most athiests I've encountered have been the most ethical people I've met. Some people just can't fathom how someone would be upright and trustworthy without having an invisible judge looking over their shoulder all the time. Or without having a holy book to consult.

I personally would vote for an athiest before any fundamentalist, but that probably was obvious.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Is it supposed to say "would've" next to atheist or "wouldn't?"

Personally i think i would trust an atheist in office over a fundementalist as well. Idk, might be less "hidden agendas" or things of that sort.

Alot of this list just shows how prejeduce americans still are...

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Unfortunately, most Christians believe that athiests are immoral, evil, or otherwise "broken" and wouldn't make good leadership material.

So they voted for George Bush instead LOL.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by biotic
Is it supposed to say "would've" next to atheist or "wouldn't?"

Personally i think i would trust an atheist in office over a fundementalist as well. Idk, might be less "hidden agendas" or things of that sort.

Alot of this list just shows how prejeduce americans still are...

it was supposed to be "wouldn't" thanks for pointing that out.

and i'm going to agree with you MM, a lot of the prejudice against atheists comes from theists being unable to grasp the concept of atheistic morality.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   
i love how the fact that this thread is dead when it deals with over half the country being religiously bigoted, nearly half of the country being bigoted towards homosexuals, over 10% of the country being sexist, and over 10% being racist.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

now the actual headline for the article is "Some Americans Reluctant to Vote for Mormon, 72-Year-Old Presidential Candidates" but that overlooks the fact that atheists score the lowest out of all the groups

from the polls, as of this year:

8% of americans wouldn't vote for a jew
53% wouldn't vote for an atheist
5% wouldn't vote for a black candidate
4% wouldn't vote for a candidate that was catholic
43% wouldn't vote for a homosexual
11% wouldn't vote for a woman
24% wouldn't vote for a mormon
12% wouldn't vote for a hispanic
42% wouldn't vote for a 72-year old candidate
and 30% wouldn't vote for a candidate who had been married for the third time

it goes on to show more historical voting data. what's odd is, why do atheists come in last?

[edit on 5/15/07 by madnessinmysoul]

Need to put our stupid differences aside and vote for someone that will really help America.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leyla
Need to put our stupid differences aside and vote for someone that will really help America.

and we need to find the source of the ignorance that keeps people from voting for someone that will really help america

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Im not saying that racism doesnt exist in the US anymore but im glad white americans are more accepting of black americans in most aspects,including presidency.

There will always be a ignorant white nut hating african americans and protesting against Obamas run for presidency but 5% is a good show.

I wish the accepting of interracial marriages in both black and white society could increase more now.

new topics

top topics

join