It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

XM Suspends Radio Hosts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   

XM Suspends Radio Hosts

online.wsj.com

XM suspended its morning hosts Gregg "Opie" Hughes and Anthony Cumia for 30 days for offensive comments that aired on the duo's show last week, a move that undercuts satellite radio's reputation as a place where free speech reigns supreme. The suspension comes as XM is already facing tough questions about its proposed deal with Sirius, which requires Federal Communications Commission approval. FCC Commissioner Kevin Martin has said the two companies face a high hurdle.

While the FCC's indecency regulations for regular over-the-airwaves broadcasts don't extend to satellite radio, the satellite radio companies have signaled a willingness to work with the FCC on the issue as part of a merger. For example, Sirius chief executive Mel Karmazin has raised the possibility of tiered pricing that would separate racier channels and other content from the basic programming package of the merged company.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.latimes.com[/ur l]
[url=http://www.wnbc.com/news/13325184/detail.html]www.wnbc.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Station: Imus Remarks 'Inappropriate'
Imus Cancelled
www.abovepolitics.com...

[edit on 16-5-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
O.K., so here we have XM suspending two radio show hosts for vulgar language and direspectful behaviour by a corporation that said it would protect the right of it's "talent" to say pretty much anything they want to. Freedom of speech and all that. So, was it the right thing to do, in the aftermath of Imus's racial slurs and Limbough's "Barack the majic negro", song?

I am fist and foremost a believer in the right to free speech and free expression of ideas, but not when they are taken for granted and used to say things and express ideas that are hurtful, spiteful or mean; in other words just because they think they can get away with it. At some point, people, including disc jockeys and talk show hosts, need to understand that their ideas and thoughts can be expressed in much more civil and "articulate" ways and still get their point across.

Whether XM pulled the plug on these two for strictly business reasons or just because it was the right thing to do, I say Bravo, XM, Bravo!!

online.wsj.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I agree with you 100%.

What I find more interesting is how the media made the Imus story the top story for 2 weeks, and yet this story is barely covered. I heard the actual tape today and it was infinitely more offensive than the "nappy headed ho's" comment Imus made. Yet I haven't seen a big media uproar over this incident.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 02:42 AM
link   
It's an outrage, as is the merger if the stooges at the FCC give it the green light.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss
It's an outrage, as is the merger if the stooges at the FCC give it the green light.

What do you find outrageous about a company discipling their employees for what the company's management believes was inappropriate behavior?

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by nick7261
What do you find outrageous about a company discipling their employees for what the company's management believes was inappropriate behavior?

Exactly. This is a business decision, much like the Imus situation. This isn't a "free speech" issue at all, IMO, and neither was Imus.

If I own a company and want to fire an employee as a business decision, it's irrelevant from a free speech perspective as to the reason for the dismissal.

If The Government comes in and says "Fire this guy, we don't like what he says and will not permit him to be heard", that's an entirely different circumstance.

I also think Imus has a helluva case against CBS for breach of contract. Yeah, they can throw him off the air, but they're probably going to have to pay him anyway. It will depend upon the t&c of the contract, but that's sure what it's sounding like. These two clowns may have the same situation.

These media corporations go out to find the most controversial and outrageous talent they can find, then act all self-righteous when what they asked for gets delivered.

And not to change the subject, but Howard Stern is a no-talent unfunny chump.

Cug

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Because that is exactly what the company hired them to do. It's like hiring someone to bake bread, then disciplining them because that is what they did.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I don't know about you people but this is the preamble to control satellite radio and its content.

Like everything that is done in this country it only starts with one self centered righteous that dislike what others may say because of personal bias.

Is this going to be the case I will stop my subscription to MX an I will encourage anybody to complain about ending theirs also.

Is a reason why I like MX and pay to have it, and that is because is not regulated

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
It has nothing to do with control, and everything to do with corporations looking to maximize profits and take advantage of what they see as a lucrative business opportunity.

Their business model either works, or it doesn't. XM and Zoom will either be given permission to merge, or they won't. Lack of competition (monopoly) in that space is either good for the market, or it isn't.

Yes there are politics at work here, but it's all about $$ for XM and Zoom.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I see what you mean they want to make it like another cable company with their endless packages deals that are nothing than a scam to target consumers with more pricey deals.

Forcing a starter package with junk like family friendly deals and go from there.

Junk.!!!!!!!!!

[edit on 16-5-2007 by marg6043]

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Check out my thread on JV and Elvis, they are "shock jocks" from NY. They just got fired for a prank call to a Chinese Restaurant. They also worked for CBS, and were the top program on that channel. It sucks ill never hear them again, they got me thru my commute to work!

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cug

Because that is exactly what the company hired them to do. It's like hiring someone to bake bread, then disciplining them because that is what they did.

I honestly don't think that doing bits about raping Condi Rice is *exactly* what they were hired to do. There are still limits to what is commercially acceptable, even for shock jocks.

And besides, from what I heard on the news yesterday, the reason they were suspended wasn't because of the bit they did. The reason they were suspended is because even after they apologized, the management felt that they didn't comprehend the seriousness of not realizing the line they crossed.

No matter what they were hired for, if they turn the public against them, and people stop listening to them, they're going to be out of a job.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Actually I found the O&A show to be rediculously UN-funny and not entertaining in the least after giving them a week long trial listen.

However, I was under the impression that these guys and others left main stream radio to avoid all this stuff. I think XM failed in their own policiy here. Another thing is the commercials that aren't supposed to be there.

These are just two of many reasons XM subscribers are paying for programming.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Distateful or not the supreme court upheld the rights to the first amendement even if the intentions are not tasteful to the parties involve.

At the heart of the First Amendment is the recognition of the fundamental importance of the free flow of ideas and opinions on matters of public interest and concern. "The freedom to speak one's mind is not only an aspect of individual liberty -- and thus a good unto itself -- but also is essential to the common quest for truth and the vitality of society as a whole."

Is not such lie when it comes to the rights to make fun of public people.

The sort of robust political debate encouraged by the First Amendment is bound to produce speech that is critical of those who hold public office or those public figures who are "intimately involved in the resolution of important public questions or, by reason of their fame, shape events in areas of concern to society at large." Justice Frankfurter put it succinctly when he said that "one of the prerogatives of American citizenship is the right to criticize public men and measures." Such criticism, inevitably, will not always be reasoned or moderate; public figures as well as public officials will be subject to "vehement, caustic, and sometimes unpleasantly sharp attacks."

www.law.umkc.edu...

I remember this one very well because with the death of Farwell it came to mind that he tried to stop freedom of speech when intruded distatefuly into his private life.

Lets all remember that the two person that got fired better be a good reason why beside some dirty jockes about public persons.

Actually Imus is going to get lost of money for the wrongfuly way he was fired.

I have not doubt that this people will also sue for this, the law is in the side, at least for now.

top topics

join