It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parallel Universes and You.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I wasn't sure where to put this topic, so...

I have been thinking about this for some time. Here's my take on it.

We all live in one dimension. But what if smaller subdimensions sprouted from the main one?

We all know that time is an illusion. A concept, created by man to control something that we can never hope to. But, existence is real. I believe that there are multiple, infinite versions of us along the existence "timeline." It's you, just during a different stage of your life. Be it five minutes in the past, .0005 seconds from now, or five years in the future.

This would be an explanation as to why some of us have precognitive dreams. When we sleep, the barrier between our worlds thin, allowing us to observe each other without interference.

Don't get me started on parallel universes where events played out differently. That's a whole different matter.

This is all hypothetical, but I think more and more about it every day.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Time in philosophy

Newton believed time and space form a container for events, which is as real as the objects it contains.

Absolute, true, and mathematical time, in and of itself and of its own nature, without reference to anything external, flows uniformly and by another name is called duration. Relative, apparent, and common time is any sensible and external measure (precise or imprecise) of duration by means of motion; such a measure—for example, an hour, a day, a month, a year—is commonly used instead of true time.

– Principia[14]

In contrast to Newton's belief in absolute space, and closely related to Kantian time, Leibniz believed that time and space are a conceptual apparatus describing the interrelations between events. The differences between Leibniz's and Newton's interpretations came to a head in the famous Leibniz-Clarke Correspondence. Leibniz thought of time as a fundamental part of an abstract conceptual framework, together with space and number, within which we sequence events, quantify their duration, and compare the motions of objects. In this view, time does not refer to any kind of entity that "flows," that objects "move through," or that is a "container" for events.

Immanuel Kant, in the Critique of Pure Reason, described time as an a priori intuition that allows us (together with the other a priori intuition, space) to comprehend sense experience. With Kant, neither space nor time are conceived as substances, but rather both are elements of a systematic mental framework necessarily structuring the experiences of any rational agent, or observing subject. Spatial measurements are used to quantify how far apart objects are, and temporal measurements are used to quantify how far apart events occur. Similarly, Schopenhauer stated in the preface to his On the Will in Nature that "Time is the condition of the possibility of succession."

In Existentialism, time is considered fundamental to the question of being, in particular by the philosopher Martin Heidegger. See Ontology.

Einstein showed that if time and space is measured using electromagnetic phenomena (like light bouncing between mirrors) then due to the constancy of the speed of light, time and space become mathematically entangled together in a certain way (called Minkowski space) which in turn results in Lorentz transformation and in entanglement of all other important derivative physical quantities (like energy, momentum, mass, force, etc) in a certain 4-vectorial way (see special relativity for more details).

Henri Bergson believed that time was neither a real homogeneous medium nor a mental construct, but possesses what he referred to as Duration. Duration, in Bergson's view, was creativity and memory as an essential component of reality.[15]

Contrasting theories

As a person can see, there are contrasting theories as to just what "time" is. Obviously, no one really knows. I have always been of the opinion that the concept of "time" was developed by man for convenience sake and nothing more.

As far as "time" having any real existence, I don't think so.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Your theory on parallel universes is interesting. Especialy the part where you incorporated precog dreams and deja vu.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Well, I never really thought of time as a measurement. I think I should have put this in Science and Technology.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
... I have had various "serial dreams" of places and events, and people that seem very real ..and within the "dream" seem to have a self contained continuity...

In one "dream" I was an actor making a movie in a city I actually used to live in... Within the dream, I could "feel" the texture of the fake snow involved in the movie making... I was reading a newspaper, and I could see text and word distinctly...(although, I don't remember the particulars)

...Somehow, I became aware that I was dreaming...So I opened my eyes..
I was here, and now... But, as soon as I closed my eyes.. I was back "there"...

When these experiences happen, I actually feel like I am living multiple lives... Somewhere... someplace...

new topics

top topics

join