It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watching the Big Bang

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I was just thinking about the Big Bang the other day, and it occurred to me that we should be able to watch it in our night skies. It all depends on how far away the center of the Universe is (I say center because if something has a beginning it is finite and therefore has a shape and size - I personally do not think the Big Bang happened and I think the Universe is infinite).
However many lightyears away the Big Bang happened, then that's when we'll see it.

If the Big Bang happened 100 billion light years away, then we would see it 100 billion years after it actually happened - lighting up our sky. This is because the light from the explosion would take 100 billion years to reach us, meaning that we could actually watch the beginning of the universe if we knew when and where the center is.

Any thoughts?

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I never thought of that before... Kinda like a Supernova. I do find it hard to believe something not having a beginning or end... but who knows... I don't really lean towards any theory... i like to keep my mind open. And if this "Light Display" really does happen... i hope it's sometime within my lifetime.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 12:37 AM
link   
The funny thing about if actually see the Big Bang, is that it disproves a number of theories...
It would also crumble a lot of stories in religions (ie creation stories such as in the bible/torah), although I don't think many people take them literally nowadays. The other thing is that if we see it it means that there will also be an end, and also proves that the universe has a shape and size.

I think it would be pretty cool to watch though - kinda like a HUGE firework show.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   

I do find it hard to believe something not having a beginning or end

There is a simple answer for that. Humans, themselves, are not infinite, that is why we have a hard time conceiving that. This is also why some people have a hard time with the concept that there is an Infinite God, and maybe an Infinite Universe.

I, personally, do not think the Big Bang happened either, but, if it did, and when we find the 'center' of the universe, it could have already been seen from Earth?

Maybe?

-wD

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I'm only 15... So I gotta long life ahead of me. I've never been religious so I count those things out, but anything else I'm open to... whether it being that the Universe was created in a Big bang or that it never began... I don't know... i just hope they come up with some general idea of what started everything(or didn't) by the time I pass on.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Not only are humans not infinite... but neither is anything else around us. Every living creature ever to live on Earth has witnessed a beginning and end... therefore, we believe everything to have a beginning and end...

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Now I'm confused. Wasn't the big bang disproven here recently? First there was proof of the big bang, then it was admitted that there wasn't any proof so this particular replacement of God was removed..

Anyone?

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I think u just got me confused

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Umm, not sure about that. Now I dont have any specifics on the big bang but here is my guess. The bang is what caused the universe, so everything must have been in a tight little bundle ready to explode. Then boom, everything scatters, so basically all the universe particles, including earth are traveling at the speed of the explosion through the galaxy. So therefore we cannot see the big bang because the universe had a front row seat of it, so to say. Ill try for an example...if you had a powerfull light that could shine to the moon, and you had a friend on the moon who was waiting to see your light. You would see the light as soon as you turned it on, because you are right there, like we were in the BIG BANG. But it would take your friend a while to see that light, but since there was nothing in the universe before the BIG BANG, noone will ever see it. Kind of a strange explaination but thats the only way I could think of puttin it.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 12:51 AM
link   
lol - it makes me think about a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy book. It reminds me of the Total Perspective Vortex, where they plug you into one end and the infinity of creation into the other with a small marker saying 'You are Here'. The shock of its size kills your brain.

Anyway, I don't think that the Big Bang has been shown to us yet. I think that the center of the universe is further than 45 million light years away, and if it had been seen anyone from as early as 300BC probably would have written about a HUGE explosion in the sky (ie a philosopher or someone like that). I dunno - maybe it happened to the dinosaurs and they all died from a heart attack

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Well then..maybe we should do some research because I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere (Discovery maybe) that this theory was never fully proven. Too many new findings blew the big bang theory out the window.

I even thought to myself that maybe scientists tend to jump the gun before proving fully a particular theory that replaces God as the creator.

I'll return with my findings soon.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I was thinking too much in my last post, so here it is plan and simple. WE WERE THE BIG BANG! So there is nothing to see.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dusty
Umm, not sure about that. Now I dont have any specifics on the big bang but here is my guess. The bang is what caused the universe, so everything must have been in a tight little bundle ready to explode. Then boom, everything scatters, so basically all the universe particles, including earth are traveling at the speed of the explosion through the galaxy. So therefore we cannot see the big bang because the universe had a front row seat of it, so to say. Ill try for an example...if you had a powerfull light that could shine to the moon, and you had a friend on the moon who was waiting to see your light. You would see the light as soon as you turned it on, because you are right there, like we were in the BIG BANG. But it would take your friend a while to see that light, but since there was nothing in the universe before the BIG BANG, noone will ever see it. Kind of a strange explaination but thats the only way I could think of puttin it.

The thing is...when (and if) the Big Bang happened, the universe was created - meaning that the explosion could be seen. I guess I see kind of what you're saying, and now I realise that for us to get to our current position in space before the Big Bang's image got here so we could watch it (follow that?), we would have to have been travelling faster than light. However, this is impossible since E=MC squared (energy = mass, and the faster you get the heavier you get and the more energy you use up, needing an infinite supply of energy which is impossible).

I think that kind of makes some remote sense...

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRenegade

Anyway, I don't think that the Big Bang has been shown to us yet.

So you think the big bang has not happened yet? Even though it was proven and then not proven to have already occurred?

Now I'm intrigued by this!

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I think it's impossible to see the Big Bang now, since my revelation with my limited knowledge of relativity in my last post...so now I guess it's impossible to tell whether it happened or not. I personally think that the universe is infinite - it had no beginning, will have no end and carries on forever

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I believe more in an infinite Universe... but like I said before... i keep my mind open to things. I think scientists can't explain/comprehend something not having a beginning/end so they think up crackpot theories on stuff.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 01:07 AM
link   
lol
u might be right there...
It is pretty hard to comprehend infinity...
I look around the room I'm in and I try to imagine it at least 10000 times bigger. Hard to do.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I have also wondering this...

Im sure theres some astrolgest (spelling) that can explane this to us

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 01:19 AM
link   
The light from the Big Bang would not get to us in 100 thousand years. That is if the big bang occured. Think of it this way, two things could be happening with the aftermath of the big bang.

First: It emitted great amounts of light. The light expanded from the big bang. It expanded at the rate of the speed barrier (light). Unless we are moving that fast (or faster), the light would already be "past us". It could possibly cross our path if we are expanding away from the center faster than the speed of light (which theoretically isnt possible).

Second: It didnt emit any light or energy. So we don't see it.

Everyone will jump on my case with both of those thoughts I am sure, but the truth of the matter is that we have no idea what happened. Someone said before that the big bang was "disproven". I would like to see someone disprove it. If the universe is infinite, we cant comprehend it. So we will never truly know what happened. How can we disprove it then? If the universe is finite, then something had to create it...maybe. We cant understand that either because it would be outside our physical universe (because it was here before the universe).

Truly though, I have heard some theories that you cant create something out of nothing. I actually believe that to be true. In all cases but this one. We have no way of knowing what took place, so how can we know that the universe was created out of something?

Well, I hope that made some sense...even if you dont agree.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Your point makes sense, and as I said before, due to E=MC squared we could not have witnessed the Big Bang. I don't think you can make anything out of nothing, even on this one case. What about Newtons somethingth law which says that energy cannot be created or destroyed? (I think it was Newton...) If energy cannot be created or destroyed then how did the Big Bang start? Where did the energy come from to create it? It must have been somewhere in some form.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join