It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why do you even worry?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
i don't want to sound cinical but, look everyday someone says hey a meteorite is coming our way, north pole is melting, the judgement day is coming, but no such huge catastrophical things happen, the only judgement day(years) was when stalin and hitler ruled, since then there were some very bad things happening, wars, terrorists, but nothing like the "end of the world"

i bet my 2 cents that nothing huge will happen next 50 years

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I hope you're right.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   
i think it is human nature to worry about things we don't know and cannot control.

but i am not worried..
i think

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Ray Kurzweil, www.kurzweilai.net... , among other futurists, are predicting AI and/or nanotechnology within the next 15 years tops. It will revolutionize us in such ways that our current technology will be equivalent to stone age in comparison. These guys are smart and have done MUCH research and have TONS of articles with much detail. Anyways, AI can create newer, faster AI, which in turn creates the next gen AI and so on until Humans are absolete.

Then, all religions point to THIS TIME as end times, and within the next few years some messiah should show up (Jesus or not) according to religion.

Mayan calendar ends at 2012 and other ancient calendars seem to end at that time. Other indicators for major events point to 2012. Entire "religion" of spirituality is based on our ascention to 5th dimension on 2012.

We have threat of terrorism that IS dangerous, and I don't care if it's real or if our own government is creating it. Either way, the threat exists, so either we get nuked, WWIII happens, or we take over more countries which leads to many more problems that can lead back to us getting nuked and WWIII. Also, very probable, Martial Law (Police State) will be enacted once we get attacked again. Even if it's our own govt doing the attacking.

Also, many are predicting a Pole Shift. Don't forget about Planet X (Nibiru). Let's not forget comets and other space junk. Let's not forget our sun and that lately it's been "acting funny" and we're not sure why. Let's not forget the UFO phenomena and that if certain things come out, like overt presense of aliens, our society is in for an overhaul.

Let's not ignore ALL those things and they ALL seem to point at a timeframe VERY soon from now. I'd say 5-15 years we have changes either in technology, aliens, spirituality, dimentions, religion, end world, cataclysm, well any of them. These changes will change our society DRASTICALLY forever. Maybe just remove it altogether.

MAYBE nothing happens for 50 years, but that just seems unlikely. We're on the verge of big things THIS YEAR, not 50 yrs

Besides, as far as technology goes, if nothing "WEIRD" happens, we're almost guaranteed nanotech and AI which will ALSO drastically revolutionize us like crazy. Maybe even destroy us. So chances are, our generation is up for a FUN RIDE. Saddle up

[Edited on 6-1-2004 by lilblam]

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Well, ignorance is bliss, I suppose. But, personally I would rather be "paranoid" and prepared for the worst.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   
lilblam, that's sick and really unnurving. How many kittens have I killed?!?!?!?!?

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 12:24 AM
link   
All these worries, theories, and possiblities have created somewhat of a self-fufilling prophecy. As we approach the supposed focal point of 2012 or thereabouts, people who are aware of these things will either quit caring, or more likely become intenesely wrapped up in them, to the point that some will start ignoring the rational part of their brain, and only focus on the "coming cataclysm" or whatever you would call it. By focusing only on the percieved impending disaster, it lends so much belief in it that eventually it will manifest itself simply because enough people believe so strongly in it.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 12:34 AM
link   
People have been intensely worshipping God for years! And he doesn't seem to be manifesting his divine carcass anytime soon! It's been thousands of years of really strong belief! Maybe one day people will learn the truth. Belief is futile. Knowledge IS God. Belief is LACK of knowledge. Therefore, belief has nothing to do with God and everything to do with being service to self.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by lilblam

I've caused the death of many a kitten in my day.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by lilblam
People have been intensely worshipping God for years! And he doesn't seem to be manifesting his divine carcass anytime soon! It's been thousands of years of really strong belief! Maybe one day people will learn the truth. Belief is futile. Knowledge IS God. Belief is LACK of knowledge. Therefore, belief has nothing to do with God and everything to do with being service to self.

I wouldnt go as far as to say belief is futile. Quite frankly we live in a huge universe, and not everyone wants to or can cope with the belief that their is no god, no higher power watching over them or at least paying attention to them. I offer a quote from From Hell to ponder "He suffers from the surgeons mallady, he knows everything about anatomy and the body, but nothing about the soul" Sometimes knowing all the facts and book-learned knowledge can't replace a honest faith or belief in something. If everyone were to believe that we were completely alone, we would be a planet of depression due to loneliness. For alot of people, myself somtimes included, belief in something/anything is what drives us, gets us out of bed in the mornings to face a harsh, unfriendly and trying world.

Didn't mean to go off on a rant, and it wasnt really directed at anyone, just been sick lately and kind of out of my head at times, plus the fact its like 0222 EST

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I dont worry. I think all the end of the world crap is....crap. I wont believe it until it happens, and then I will promptly bend over and kiss my ass goodbye.

new topics

top topics

join