It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

May 15th (Tomorrow)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
How about you ride your bicycle or public transit? Just a suggestion.

Well, that goes without saying... but people are inherrantly lazy... and obviously inherrantly stupid too...

YOU ARE ALL FALLING INTO A TRAP BY BOYCOTTING GASOLINE FOR A DAY

Sorry for using caps, but you are all falling for it and it's imperative that you see that! (Read my earlier post for more)

[edit on 15-5-2007 by johnsky]

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Why would anybody want to hurt the oil companies in the first place?

They're supplying a product that people want and need. I would suggest that they could hurt the would-be boycotters a lot more if they stopped selling gas for one day.

In fact, I wonder what would happen if the oil companies would just shut down their businesses altogether. I wonder how many days people in large cities like New York, London, and Paris could live before their food supply would run out.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky (Read my earlier post for more)

I see where you're going with that thinking, but doesn't that go against the laws of "supply and demand"?

Of course if they knew there was an organized boycott, they probably would raise the prices to rebalance their level of profits.

Darned if we do, and darned if we don't.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 12:41 AM
link   

I see where you're going with that thinking, but doesn't that go against the laws of "supply and demand"?

The laws of supply and demand only really work when there is an alternative product to chose from instead.

With gasoline, we won't see that until an alternative fuel source rivals the oil companies.

[edit on 15-5-2007 by johnsky]

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
With gasoline, we won't see that until an alternative fuel source rivals the oil companies.

Go Electric!
But of course, even electric cars also use up natural resources down the line.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32
Go Electric!
But of course, even electric cars also use up natural resources down the line.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Claim: Participating in one-day boycott of gasoline on May 15 will help lower gasoline prices.

Source: www.snopes.com...

I don't take Snopes as gospel, but this one's been around since at least 2000 and I haven't seen any impact.

*yawn*

Next!

-Edited for formatting-

[edit on 15-5-2007 by TheStev]

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Being 58, almost 59 years old, and a non-marathon bike rider, plus living 50 miles from my place of employment, sort of precludes me from the siren call of a gas moratorium.

Nice try, but most unfortunately, buying gas is simply part of the cost of doing business. You don't like it. I don't like it. However, this is the reality. I also have neither the desire, nor do I have the "real" capability of jumping out and buying a $40,000 electric car (The last three job jumps I made due to off-shoring, have each come in with a lower rate of pay) ... I am essentially making about 60% of what I was making three years ago, for approximately the same work.

No offense, but I think that people who come up with these ideas either aren't ever going to be involved in the execution, or are, simply, not very bright.

PS: I drive the interstate within two miles of my house, and within two miles of my office. On a typical day my Vette gets upwards of 30 miles per gallon or better. How's that for an economy car?

[edit on 15-5-2007 by sigung86]

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Well it's Ok, I'm not buying any gas today and if the price falls tomarrow, who knows, maybe it was because I tried a little bit. Part of the reason I did this was to see how people would respond, and well it was as expected.

Actually for a one day boycott there would be upwards of 1.5 billion gallon surplus just for that day alone. That is quite a bit of product sitting there and yes the price would go down to sell off that surplus at a fast rate. Maybe when the consumers learn to focus thier will and power prices will go back to where they should be, but as with this small sampling here, apathy and still prevails. Thsi may be our greatest downfall and problem which needs corrected.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Wasted effort. As many have pointed out you cannot control a monopoly like this. I plan on filling my SUV with premium gas and under inflating my tires while I have the A/C just cranked with of course the windows rolled down. Should be a good day.

brill

[edit on 15-5-2007 by brill]

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
If you want this thing to work... take 2 days off (lots of people can take a 2 day leave) before the week-end and plan nothing for the week-end...
Sit and watch TV, or play games (board-, video-, etc), do something that doesn't involve using oil/fuel/etc.

1 day isn't enough... but as someone said, they'll raise the price, when you really need it. and make up for the what is lost.

hmm, sounds like a drug addiction. Oil, the new crack.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Just to combat that fact that this whole gas out crap doesn't work I'm going to pitch another stupid yet "neat" idea for everyone who wishes to show that oil company who's, who...How about next week you pick a day everyone who has a SUV drive to your local Honda or Toyota dealership and trade your truck/suv in on a civic or tercel? Do you see how silly that sounds? Same thing for the gas out. How about instead of not buying gas next time there is an election everyone NOT VOTE for an idiot who's family is buried with the middle eastern oil families and has close friends with CEO titles of several large oil companies...That makes more sense to me.

[edit on 15-5-2007 by tsloan]

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by tsloan
Same thing for the gas out. How about instead of not buying gas next time there is an election everyone NOT VOTE for an idiot ...

To make it even more silly... how about, nobody votes for anybody.

Then we "boycott" all the possible idiots.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_unraveller

Originally posted by tsloan
Same thing for the gas out. How about instead of not buying gas next time there is an election everyone NOT VOTE for an idiot ...

To make it even more silly... how about, nobody votes for anybody.

Then we "boycott" all the possible idiots.

Works for me

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
If you really want to hurt the oil industry, then here is what you need to do and please consider this. As a person who works in the industry at the end of the pump, I do have to commute and do understand peoples frustration when it comes to gas prices. I know out here in California, part of that price per gallon is the taxes that are charged. What I would like to know is this: If we can make a synthetic diamond, a cubic Zarconia, then why can we not make synthetic oil or gas that would work just the same way? A boycott for the day on the oil industry may seem like a good idea, however, the reality it this: As long as people still need to drive, or drive, or look for products and goods that have to be shipped, this is not going to have any effect. Any time someone goes into a gas station and purchases ANYTHING, it defeats the purpose of such.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Well congratulations! You've made the gas prices go up today not down!
Thanks a lot!

Daily Gas Prices

National Unleaded Average (regular)
Current Avg. $3.103
Yesterday Avg. $3.087

DON'T MESS WITH BIG OIL!!!

[edit on 16-5-2007 by mecheng]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join