It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf stream shut-down in progress?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Myself, I don't put a lot of faith into this global warming garbage. Sure man has had a huge impact on climate change but all we are doing is speeding up the NATURAL process.

This has all happened in the past several times. I believe we are in what is called an "Interglacial" period (the period of time between ice ages) where it yes it gets a lot warmer but then BAM... it will get even COLDER.

As for a polar shift, what evidence is there that it will cause massive damage? the poles are constantly migrating around a couple of degrees aren't they? so far no major damage from that.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Britain is emerging from a suddencold snap. The BBC weather reports indicated that at the start of the cold snap the Gulfstream was diverted upwards missing the SW this and the wind direction lead to massive disruption due to snow and ice across the UK.

This looks bad.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by tiger5

Yep - And I heard on the BBC news that the temp here has been 10 degrees lower than normal for this time of year! 10 degrees! That's insane. BBC are also saying the freeze the UK is currently experiencing could last til into the new year... I think we really need to pay attention to this Gulf Stream situation.

Sorry, I don't know how to put in links but I guess one can archive the info?

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by setuxas

Forcing us into a mini 'ice age' would actually be more of a benefit than a crisis. People would die , yes , but the sudden temperature change might beat the global warming

In the equatorial regions, temperatures are constantly getting higher for the last two decades. Recently, more people are dying from heat related illnesses, commonly strokes, high blood pressure and heart attack.

Majority of the world's population live in that region and ironically in impoverished conditions as well...

It would mean that more people would benefit from an 'ice age situation' than the other way around.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Just wanted to post on here. The Gulf Stream being a circuit and all, well its no non-existent. Yep, the Gulf Stream is broken and gone. I posted todays satellite image.

(First post, long time reader. ;D)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by arbitraryinsanity

Don't know if it's broken enough for long-term climate implications (yet anyway) but it does pose a problem for the sea turtles.

www.miamiherald.com...

Green turtles can survive in water that is 65 degrees and higher. But the waters off the immediate coast of the Carolinas is now in the mid-50s.
The South Carolina Aquarium in Charleston is also working to make space for sea turtles that have been stunned in the Northeast.
More than 100 sea turtles have been brought into the New England Aquarium after they were found stunned on beaches in Cape Cod, Mass.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by setuxas

Addition to that is that at least 20% of human industrial work would freeze over and be abandoned in the north.

Hi there, reading your post I was reminded of one I read some time back on a now, unfortunately, forgotten thread.

It may have been along the lines of imagining the issues in the wake of a volcanic-ash distribution in the wake of a volcanic 'mega-eruption'? Anyway, their point was, that they understood that a significant proportion of the nuclear power stations are not equipped (to their knowledge) to cope with such enourmous over-loading and intrusion to their structures and mechanisms. Concerns being especially focused on the cooling plants and their reservoirs, many of which are exposed or at least not engineered to cope with such extreme changes to their environment or deluges of weighty, or incompatible airborne pollution (i.e. ash/snow/ice fall...)

Therefore, if cooling fails, and expecially in combination with other factors...i.e. multiple pressures on staff/infrastructure...then nuclear accidents (e.g. Chernobyl) might become more likely, or even certain...perhaps a sudden/extreme freeze could pose similar hazards? All I'm thinking is that whilst I understand your argument about such a scenario clearly having certain benign or helpful impacts on certain industrial processes, there may be others that could be far more damaging or problematic environmentally. What other toxins may be destabilised or released?

[*Nuclear Power Plants - some of which may be at risk in such a 'northern-freeze' scenario? - some illustrative examples/figures:
United Kingdom - 19
France - 58
Canada - 18
Germany - 17
Russian Federation - 32
USA - 104
etc...there are plenty more...link to source]

Oh well, I think here in the UK 1941 was the last really cold winter...perhaps this year will break those records?

Anyone know anyone in an industry that has good links with the meteorologists? Would airlines, shipping, fishing not be looking very closely at the changes...is the Jet Stream also affected (simultaneously)?
edit on 13-12-2010 by curioustype because: *Stats added to illustrate point

top topics

<< 1   >>

join