It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US conservatives block cancer vaccine for girls

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   

US conservatives block cancer vaccine for girls

www.newscientist.com

Plans to vaccinate young girls against the sexually-transmitted virus that causes cervical cancer have been blocked in several US states by conservative groups, who say that doing so would encourage promiscuity.

Advocates of the vaccine point out that the jabs work against human papillomavirus (HPV) - which causes virtually all cases of cervical cancer - and are safe.

The latest data from a large clinical trial of Merck's cervical cancer vaccine, Gardasil, found it offered 100% protection against cervical, vulval and vaginal diseases, caused by HPV (types 6, 11, 16 and 18) and 98% protection against advanced pre-cancers caused by HPV types 16 and 18 (New England Journal of Medicine: vol 356, p1915).

After around three years of the four-year trial, almost all girls who received the vaccine before being exposed to HPV 16 or 18 appear to be protected. Those who had already been exposed to the viruses received little benefit, but by vaccinating early on, perhaps at 11 years of age, most girls could be protected.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
This idea of promoting abstinence clearly doesn't work and is in this case jeopardizing lives. Who is anyone to have the moral authority to enforce abstinence and to prevent a vaccine for a potentially fatal disease?

www.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   
GOOD!

Not for the abstinence thing .... but because this vaccine is being pushed and made mandatory when it isn't necessary to do so and when it has only been tested for a very short time.

MERCK makes this, right? MERCK .. that (allegedly) killed off tens of thousands through VIOXX?? They have to make their money back somehow. So they get the state gov'ts to push through mandatory shots for all female children. OH THE MONEY THEY'LL MAKE on these shots - all the while using our entire young female population as test subjects.

I'm glad that it's being protested. I dont' care what reason they are using to protest it. ANY reason to slow this thing down and buy us time .... it works for me.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
The sad truth is that it doesn't matter if they block it or not, girls and boys will meet each other and have unprotected sex just like they have been doing since the beginning of time.

Is human nature, the reproduction of the species can not be stop or manipulated for the comfort of "conservatives fundamentalist"

Now about he vaccine I am not very sure about its purpose and if will make a difference.

But I know that it will not stop promiscuity or sex.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I personally never thought that they should make us get this for our children. It’s wrong. We don’t know enough information to be able to say this is not going to make our girls sterile. I cant stand medicine myself. I hate for anything to be forced on me or my children.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
GOOD!

Not for the abstinence thing .... but because this vaccine is being pushed and made mandatory when it isn't necessary to do so and when it has only been tested for a very short time.

See, this the thing. The reasons u state, I have no qualms with, assuming they are true. But the fact that I find out from someone on the internet then research it to see if ur claims are true highlights the fact that this sort of info needs to be made public and debated so people can make informed decisions for themselves.

[edit on 14-5-2007 by john_bmth]

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Gotta love them compassionate conservatives... they gonna conservative people to death in their push to be compassionate. FOOLS!!!

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Getting the vaccine early is for now the only way to prevent problems later on based on the earlier data.

its far easier to prevent cancer than it is to treat it. more cost effective as well.

Once again, religious dogma, fear mongering, and pseudo-science has achieved a stunning victory over common sence and common good.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Let get something clear, this at state level meaning that will not be funded by the state.

But parents can still get their girls vaccinated at their own expenses.

If you are an adult woman that has been infected with this virus and had seen what it can do you, you will not ecitate to have your daughter vaccinated.

But It should not be forced it should be at the discretion of the parents.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   
If people want it they can get it...

For once the government has not sold out to corporate interests and forced all women to get it.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Madman

For once the government has not sold out to corporate interests and forced all women to get it.

Exactly after looking at the link and reading, conservatives think that they has won one for Jesus but actually they have block corporate from profiting at the expenses of tax payer.

Occurs this is the political side of it.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I hope all the people who comment here have done their vaccine research.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
im goona say great on this one too. strike one for the non human testing
faze .. for now.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
You have to laugh at them, not giving them condoms sure stopped all those unwanted pregnancies too.

Its not the issue of blocking it or not, its the religious nutjob propaganda and the fact that stopping teens from having sex is more important than stopping them getting cancer.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   
T0by,

Try this site for one.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Vaccines are not always the best thing. Like I said how do we know it won’t make are girls sterile?

We don’t have enough information about this.

I don’t think it’s a religious thing like people are trying to make it.

Rather it’s the right of the people. Forcing us to always do what they say. Whether we want to or not.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Come on! Do you really want the government MANDATING more vaccines?

What about choice?

What if a girl chooses to wait until marriage until having sex? Should she be FORCED to be vaccinated against a disease she has little chance of getting?

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   
yeah, and the drug company distributing this drug is Merck the same company that put Vioxx on the market and kept it there for a long time even after finding out that it caused heart attacks and strokes. Now the company is on the verge of losing its pants with all the multimillion dollars settlements. Sounds like someone from Merch got into the pockets of some statesman to get this manitory drug program as far as it went anyway. I mean, come on, why on Earth would anyone listen to a company which has now been found guilty of covering up negative reports and continuing to aggressively market Vioxx to unsuspecting doctors and patients knowing that it would kill.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Good! Forced vaccinations are a violation of my rights. Especially with the controversy regarding Thiomersal (which contains mercury, possibly linked to autism), I wouldn't want it forced into my body. But it's not "blocked", they can still get the vaccine.

The title of the article, blaming "US Conservatives" for "blocking the cancer vaccine" is highly misleading.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Merck is pushing this. With all the illness and deaths that associated with the side effects of some vaccines, why would anyone want to add health risk to their daughters. If you are woman or have a young daughter, please do your homework on this one. I heard a radio program with a virologist who condemned this latest fear mongering campaign by Merck as very bad science. The Merck Vaccine is only good for 2 of some 30+ known HP viruses and once again none have actually been proven to cause cervical cancer.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I guess I don't really think that people should be forced to take vaccines.

But the reasoning for blocking this is utterly stupid. "Promotes promiscuity." Who are they to decide whether we should be promiscuous or not? I'm not interested in sex, but its not the government's business what people do.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join