It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are cigarettes still legal?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglelord
they are not sold, thats bad cooking at home
again show me one thing SOLD for INJESTION
PS i eat my steak rare...so none of that crap for me.
I also bake...
no need to eat charcoal/

[edit on 14-5-2007 by junglelord]

what about MSG, it is put in almost everything and it is a guarentee for cancer eventually.

Aspitame, the old ladies love that stuff,

refined sugar, or burned sugar (caramel) will also cause stomach cancer. UBC study.

tobacco does not cause cancer, the 50 chemicals that they put in with it iw what causes cancer.

Does anyone know of any good indian brand of smoke, some more natural stuff. I love smoking.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
well I walk, so no new car smell.
I have a garden and buy local...so no bad crap.
The steak is properly cooked and I have taken black walnut husk for parsites and worms and have a zapper
now back to square one show me one product sold for consumption or injestion that is a known carcenigen like tobacco
there is none
and you all know it.
sure the enviorment is posioned to the max...cancer rates are 2:1 and 3:1 for women and men....or vica versa but anyway...its way too high...that has something to do with the sale of tobacco but more to do with all the posions mentioned.

back to the original question.
other products like tobacco sold for consumption?

there is no other product in its class and thats why he asked the original question and the answer is that private sector lobby groups control the governments

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Remember a little thing called Prohibition? All it did was create a black market for alcohol. Same thing will happen if cigarettes ever became illegal. Except on a much larger scale.

I imagine secret tobacco nurseries would begin popping up alongside pot. Except, there will be a bigger demand for tobacco, because so many more people are hooked to nicotine.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   

well I walk, so no new car smell.
I have a garden and buy local...so no bad crap.
The steak is properly cooked and I have taken black walnut husk for parsites and worms and have a zapper
now back to square one show me one product sold for consumption or injestion that is a known carcenigen like tobacco
there is none
and you all know it.
sure the enviorment is posioned to the max...cancer rates are 2:1 and 3:1 for women and men....or vica versa but anyway...its way too high...that has something to do with the sale of tobacco but more to do with all the posions mentioned.

back to the original question.
other products like tobacco sold for consumption?

there is no other product in its class and thats why he asked the original question and the answer is that private sector lobby groups control the governments

maybe you were still writing when i made my post..... its not too late to edit, save some face eh.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Does pure tobacco cause cancer, or is it the chemicals that do? Ill roll my own smokes if its more healthy... but then again there will be no filter.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
listen don't outlaw it...just stop selling it.
let people grow what they want and that includes pot.
thats the ovbious solution and you sell your stuff like at a farmers market.
no tax, no big deal...
face it the government, war on drugs, sale of drugs, its all BS

I am 1/3 Mohawk and its good to remember as mentioned real tobbacco is nothing like the crap they sell.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   

If you didnt really want an answer and just wanted a platform to start ranting about politicians being bought by lobbyist then why didnt you do that right off the bat instead of wasting posts asking for an answer you didnt want?

Seems pretty stupid to me.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
why answer the question with things that are not injested?

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Sure cigarettes kill. So what. If you dont want them to kill you dont smoke them. As for other drugs, they shouldnt be illegal either. If people make the choice to shoot heroine or smoke crack so be it. Its their own damn fault. Its not like there's some huge crack disinfo campaign going on tricking people into believing crack is good for you. Let the junkies all die under a bridge. They chose it.

This says it all if you ask me. If we are free it should be legal to do anything we want to our own bodies as long as it doesn't put anyone else in danger. I agree the laws should be harsh for driving and for parents but if you don't have kids and you want to kill yourself by shooting heroine go ahead it's your body

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   

listen don't outlaw it...just stop selling it.
let people grow what they want and that includes pot.
thats the ovbious solution and you sell your stuff like at a farmers market.
no tax, no big deal...
face it the government, war on drugs, sale of drugs, its all BS

I am 1/3 Mohawk and its good to remember as mentioned real tobbacco is nothing like the crap they sell.

I think I already said that.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Your not making any sense! How can you promote drug use by saying it should be legalized and if the fools want to use it then let them?

Sure lets say Heroin is legal, and your an adult and you try very hard to be a responsible heroin user
by doing it only on the weekends with your buddies at poolside as you have done many times before ... BUT this weekend
You pick up a bag from your local dealer you come home and you shoot it. You start vomiting violently and thats it within a few seconds ... YOUR DEAD! I guess that wasn't in your plans huh.

So, what I am saying is that the only way to make it legal and not have dirty drugs is via prescription from a corp that has the standards to make it "clean" ...

NEWS FLASH: We did do this ... its called Class 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 narcotics by prescription and its legal.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   

why answer the question with things that are not injested?

dude... maybe you dont read threads, i already posted

MSG

Aspirtame

refined sugar

burned sugar (caramel)

ALL give you cancer.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
double post

[edit on 14-5-2007 by tom goose]

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by MicheleLee
Your not making any sense! How can you promote drug use by saying it should be legalized and if the fools want to use it then let them?

Sure lets say Heroin is legal, and your an adult and you try very hard to be a responsible heroin user
by doing it only on the weekends with your buddies at poolside as you have done many times before ... BUT this weekend
You pick up a bag from your local dealer you come home and you shoot it. You start vomiting violently and thats it within a few seconds ... YOUR DEAD! I guess that wasn't in your plans huh.

So, what I am saying is that the only way to make it legal and not have dirty drugs is via prescription from a corp that has the standards to make it "clean" ...

If its legal you wouldnt have to buy it from some shady dealer. That was sort of the point with the whole abortion legalization thing. Make it legal and it can be regulated. It could be packaged and sold at the checkout line just like cigarettes. If you trust the FDA we can even have them put their seal of approval on it. Thats it to say that its heroine and just heroine. Not that it wont kill you.

This way the massive government will have something else to tax.

Besides, your scenerio happens everyday regardless. Im sure even if legal it would stil happen. Youd get people paying for good stuff and cutting it with all sorts of crap to sell to the poor junkies who cant afford the good stuff.

Good riddence to the junkies.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by hikix
The government is basically allowing you to slowly kill yourself.

No, you are allowing you to slowly kill youself. Why do you need the government to outlaw it so you can stop? Plenty of others stopped without the government outlawing it. You need to stop smoking yourself, and can't blame others for your addiction.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Good riddence to the junkies.

It is a plague in some communities ... true. Yes of course we have addicts that are so far gone that you cannot help them anymore as drugs mean more to them then life itself.

However, I will not be so quick to give up and say good riddance to all the addicts out there. An example is we have innocent people out there that lack the Natural Endorphins and are more likely to become addicted then the next person. Not everyone can have the strong support system or self esteem that you might have. People do make mistakes, and fail, but that does not mean they deserve to be tossed out with the garbage.

I hope someday its not your child, niece, nephew, mother, father, or best friend that is the "junky" and pray that someone doesn't tell you "Good Riddance" if you lose a loved one to drugs. If it was you that I stumbled upon and you (a stranger) needed help I would try to help as that is just the type of person I am. Maybe we see things differently due to life experiences.

Drugs should not be legalized because it will cause more addictions and crimes! Tobacco should be illegal because it is a known killer. End of story for me!

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   
the proper term would be decriminalized, not legalized.
You have personal freedom to smoke what you want, and no jail time for any of it.
To legalize it means the government sells it which means bad news, for everyone.
if people do it to themselves and no one sells to them and its not a criminal offence then billions would be saved from the war on drugs and the legal action against tobbacco companies and civil liberties would reign supreme...
now thats a pipe dream

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I quit smoking roughly 7 mos. ago after countless attempts. I actually got sick of quitting more than wondering if that slight discomfort in my throat was esophogeal cancer or that weird headache was a aneurysm about to explode every time I lit up. That's my bio, now my thought on big tobacco.
Tobacco serves a threefold purpose: obviously, taxes, which begets political leeway and leverage for those representing tobacco-producing states, and in an Malthulusian way, global population control. The poison serves a purpose. From the third world to the Wall ST. guy who's gonna blow a valve from a 2-pack-a-day-habit. Reality sucks, and that is just my take on it.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I can't believe this post went this far without anybody coming up with the obvious answer to the question.

Why are cigarettes still legal? Because local, state, and federal governments makes millions of dollars off the stuff in taxes.

The same thing can be said about offshore online gambling being illegal. Why is it illegal? Because government hasn't figured out a way to tax it yet.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by hikix
The government is basically allowing you to slowly kill yourself.

Everyone knows that cigarettes are deadly. There are warnings on the packages and in the advertisements. Even before it was scientifically proven that cigarettes cause illness and death, everyone who smoked or knew someone who smoked knew that they were not good for one's health.

They've been called "coffin nails" for probably more than a century.

I smoked for the better part of twenty-five years. I quit many times and it wasn't until sometime in 1996 that I gave up cigarettes and sometime in 2004 that I gave up cigars.

Nobody ever made me smoke. It was a decision that I made and like almost everyone who tries cigarettes, I got hooked--addicted.

It is true that the government allows it, but in no way does government condone or coerce, at least not in this day and age.

The potheads always say that the government should just legalize pot and tax it.

I'm not certain that I agree with that, but I do believe that if tobacco were banned, given its addictiveness, the black market in cigarettes would explode and people would be killing one another over the money to be made smuggling and selling the stuff.

This may be one case where leaving well enough alone is the best course.

[edit on 2007/5/14 by GradyPhilpott]

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join