It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aspartame is a neurotoxin

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   

The reason aspartame is so dangerous is that it is a molecule composed of three components, all of which are neurotoxic: aspartic acid (40 percent), methanol (10 percent), and phenylalanine (50 percent). Aspartic acid and phenylalanine are neurotoxic as isolates, unaccompanied by other amino acids in food to block them from going directly into the brain.

www.google.com
It is well known aspartame is a toxin and still it is widly being used. There are substitutes that could be used instead.
But still they choose to use aspartame... WHY?

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 12:40 AM
link   
yup, no doubt about this.....anybody who drinks a DIET drink is a plain idiot.

Soda is bad enough for you, but the DIET SWEETNERS are burning holes in your brain that will never grow back or heal. If you want to drink soda be a SMART PERSON and go with the actual real sugar kind.

This ASPERTAME crap is all those fake sweetners, ALL of them and this is no joke........'Nutri-sweet' 'Equal' 'Sweet'N'low' 'Splenda' every dang one of those things is ASPERTAME in disguise.Your melting your brain to go without a few calories.
Hey you can diet other ways, but get serious.... once you melt your brain cells they don't come back to life......actual HOLES in your brain.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 01:17 AM
link   
and the sad thing is....

i see people at work every day carrying around a 2 liter bottle of DIET PEPSI

because they think it is not as bad as real pepsi. shame on them.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I don't buy it.

I see a lot of people around me drinking this stuff, and they've been drinking it for decades. We don't have an epidemic of people ending up in nursing homes at a young age or large numbers of people exhibiting the symptoms that the anti-asparatame group warns about.

If it was true, you'd have millions of people all over the world affected severely by this. Whole countries would be incapacitated.

That isn't happening.

I don't doubt that there are some folks who do react badly to it (allergies.) But I don't see the evidence in the general population.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   
well considering there is no data to prove its safe for long term use who knows?

Only two reviews and no long term studies are planned.

www.alz.org...

The molecule itself is beyond doubt not cool. You can drink it all you want.
You can also eat food from the store (if you do) sparyed with god knows what or growing what bacteria, you dont know.

I don't even take white sugar. I have a garden and eat only local grown organic. I try to eliminate the carbon trail let alone the man made chemicals. Rumsfield and aspertame are a good conspriacy.
You trust him?

I dont' and I dont drink any of that crap. I dont need a review to tell me that.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I just recently found out how bad Aspartame is. I was a huge Diet Coke drinker. At least four or five a week. I quit about a month ago. I went through the worst headaches i've ever had and felt severly depressed. It must do shocking things to your brain. The only thinh toxic i drink now is coffee.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I drink a lot of diet drinks and to my knowledge I have experienced no cognitive decline in all these years.

I am frequently evaluated both medically and psychiatrically and if there were any notable declines in my health, including brain function, I would know about it.

[edit on 2007/5/14 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by junglelord
I dont' and I dont drink any of that crap. I dont need a review to tell me that.

you do know most store food has aspartame right? what do you grow your own food and never go shopping?

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I drink a lot of diet drinks and to my knowledge I have experienced no cognitive decline in all these years.

I am frequently evaluated both medically and psychiatrically and if there were any notable declines in my health, including brain function, I would know about it.

[edit on 2007/5/14 by GradyPhilpott]

thats because you probably drink a diet pepsi with a salad or other healthy food.

people who eat nothing but junk and drink the diet stuff along with it, will notice a change.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by misterfantastic
It is well known aspartame is a toxin and still it is widly being used. There are substitutes that could be used instead.

This is interesting.

STEVIA

The artificial sweetner industry was/is strong opponent to stevia. Probablly because you cannot patent it.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 05:37 AM
link   

thats because you probably drink a diet pepsi with a salad or other healthy food.

people who eat nothing but junk and drink the diet stuff along with it, will notice a change.

Yes, that is probably correct. And many people who consume this "health" products are on some kind of low-carb or low fat-diet and not eating properly.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I drink a ton of diet soda (Coke Zero) and I should know better. I have a client who drank several liters of diet soda a day. He wound up with aspartame poisoning. Amnesia and a slew of other issues.

Here's a nice list of symptoms
www.321recipes.com...

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Everyday I chew a few pieces of Orbit WhiteGum. This gum has Aspartame in it. Should I be worried?
Thanks,
Cltcam

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   

i see people at work every day carrying around a 2 liter bottle of DIET PEPSI .... shame on them.

Hey buddy .... your 'shame on them' is highly misplaced.

I LOVE diet pepsi and this is the first that I have read about this sort of thing. So it's really - shame on YOU - for judging them. Most likely, they have no idea what's bad about their drink.

I certainly didn't know. Now I have to look into this.

Originally posted by dingleberry77
I was a huge Diet Coke drinker. At least four or five a week.

You think that's a heavy diet soda drinker?
EEEEEEEEKS. I drink two or more every day.

[edit on 5/15/2007 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   
If it wasn't for diet type drinks, I could only drink Coffee, vegetable/fruit juice and plain water. I get stomach aches that last for days if I eat or drink something with real sugar, this actually excludes alot of fruit juice too.

I know the people that did the cancer study on aspartame here in belgium and according to them, the amount I take in, combined with the rest of my diet has no more risk then the 2 to 3 liters of coffee I drink a day. I only drink about 2 or 3 glasses (not even half a liter) of diet coke a day, with my supper.

Aspartame is bad if you have it in high doses and/or, as said before, have a diet that doesn't help cancel the negative effects out.

I do notice though that the amount I drink is dwarfed by what some people in the current day US drink, didn't know ya guys got that much of a sweettooth these days, and I thought it was bad when I lived there XD.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cltcam
Everyday I chew a few pieces of Orbit WhiteGum. This gum has Aspartame in it. Should I be worried?
Thanks,
Cltcam

No, if you are a normal healthy person with balanced diet.

What is the Acceptable Daily Intake (ADI) for aspartame?
aspartame information
The Acceptable Daily Intake (ADI) for aspartame is 40mg per kg of bodyweight. The ADI of a food ingredient is defined as the amount you can eat or drink every day for an entire lifetime without experiencing any adverse effects. Expert panels of scientists review all of the available scientific data on an ingredient and agree on the maximum dietary level that can be safely consumed. This figure is then divided by 100 to reach the ADI. To consume the ADI of aspartame, an average person of 70kg would have to drink just over 5 litres of a drink sweetened only with aspartame.
Source

This is the official site. All info is from Ajinomoto, a producer of aspartame and supplier to well known food and drink makers

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by yanchek

This is interesting.

STEVIA

The artificial sweetner industry was/is strong opponent to stevia. Probablly because you cannot patent it.

Glad you brought up stevia. I've been using it about 10 years now, after finding out about it from a friend. I use it mainly to sweeten coffee, coco, and cereal. I did try baking with it once; need recipes

Thanks to your info, I was surprised to read tht Japan uses it in soft drinks and baked goods. If they can do it, we should be able to do it, too. The complaint here was that stevia just wouldn't add right to commercially available products. I guess they didn't try hard enough.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by desert
Glad you brought up stevia. I've been using it about 10 years now, after finding out about it from a friend. I use it mainly to sweeten coffee, coco, and cereal. I did try baking with it once; need recipes

As soon as I read the opening post, Stevia was the first thing to pop into my head. I've been using it for a little over a year now with no complaints. I use it mainly to sweeten drinks, haven't tried baking with it yet.

What I hate about artificial sweetners, such as Aspartame is the bitter after taste. Yuk! I don't have that problem with Stevia. It can be found in most health food stores.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Well I drink about 4 litres of diet pepsi a day, and the worst side effect is dehydration & constipation. I know it is bad but it tastes sooooo good.
Plus when I get brain cancer I'll join the class action law suit and leave a few million for my un born grand children. Kind of scary when you know that Donald Rummsfeld is one of the men behind Aspertame which came from defence research. Canadian Diet Pepsi taste different than American Diet Pepsi, Canadian is more sweet.

Never drink diet pop after it has been heated, like say sitting in your car during a hot day, the heat creates a chemical reaction turning the stuff into formeldahyde/methanol poison.

Always drink it cold, have a beer or some booze to counteract any methanol toxin. Ethanol counteracts methanol.

[edit on 15-5-2007 by BattleofBatoche]

[edit on 15-5-2007 by BattleofBatoche]

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Higher temperature is said to turn the aspartame into formaldehyde.

See Link

The above poster mentioned not drinking warm soda, but if we take into account that the human body temperature is usually around 98.6 F, doesn't the temperature of the actual soda become moot?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join