It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tools to pack in BoB

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Guns and lots of ammo.
Knife and lighters and you are good to go. The rest is out in the wilderness.

Travel lite. You cant carry a bunch of crap thats going to drag you down. Gun will get you plenty of food. The knife will be extremely handy. And lighter so you dont have to spend 15 hours trying to start a fire.
That will survive you.

What does BoB stand for?

[edit on 11-6-2007 by earth2]

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by earth2

What does BoB stand for?

[edit on 11-6-2007 by earth2]

Bug Out Bag

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
Guns and lots of ammo.
Knife and lighters and you are good to go. The rest is out in the wilderness.

Travel lite. You cant carry a bunch of crap thats going to drag you down. Gun will get you plenty of food. The knife will be extremely handy. And lighter so you dont have to spend 15 hours trying to start a fire.
That will survive you.

There won't be much food in the wilderness after a nuke/fallout/chemical weapons scenario. You might want to plan for that too as current events seem to hint somewhat in this direction.

The tv show "Jericho" gives some great insights on what you might have to expect.

Some portions of quick-soup might prove very valuable in such a scenario. Light, not bulky, long shelf live and only need some water to cook it in. Definitely worth the consideration.

[edit on 11-6-2007 by Swordbeast]

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Three feet of 1" of galvanized-iron pipe

Preferably with two diametrically opposed quarter-inch holes punched less than an inch away from one end.

You can use it as a lever, either to increase the power of your monkey wrench and that crowbar-hammer the other chap recommended, or just in the usual way.

It's also an effective club, piledriver and a few other things besides.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
While all of the items listed are good, and should be acquired as soon as you can and put in your BoB, things have a way of not working out according to plan.

You've gone to the nearest city to have a hearing test, riding with a friend, and while you're in the waiting room, a dirty bomb hits between you and home. The FEMA people come on TV and say it's martial law time. Your BoB is 40 miles away.

Carry the most needed articles with you AT ALL TIMES.

Leatherman tool w/ stone. It can be worn on your belt all the time. A multi-purpose tool w/ saw blade is essential.

A GOOD folding pocket knife that holds an edge. (The one on the multi-tool is hard to use well and usually not top quality.

Money belt. Store some fishing line and a few hooks, a few silver/gold coins (of small denominations), a map on thin paper, some band-aids, etc....

Even if you don't smoke, carry a good wind proof Zippo with extra flints in the case. (Even out of fuel, you can start a fire with it as long as the flints hold out.)

Comfortable hiking shoes. (People need to wear good walking shoes anyway. And if where you are going requires more dress type shoes, carry a pair everywhere you go, with two pairs of extra socks. This cannot be stressed to much. A blister is bad, but enough blisters will stop you in your tracks.)

A roll up hat that covers your ears with some shade.

A small tube of sun block in your pocket. (Sunburn will not only et you down emotionally, but saps your strength as the body tries to repair itself.)

If you are forced to leave on foot from an area on short notice, don't overburden yourself with things you can acquire along the way. Unless you're an avid hiker, the more you carry, the slower you will be.

Always have a minimum amount of items on you, just in case.

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
NGC2736 is correct. Carry your BOB with you at all times. IT doesnt take up much space in peoples vehicles. I have one in each of my vehicles. Three in all.

My standard BOB is my go to and fro work bag. Many people ask me why my bag is so heavy. I dont bother to explain to most people ..they would think you are nuts. Food some ,changes of clothes ..socks BVDs etc ...stuff to start a fire...enough to get me through three or four days if I am frugal.
My firearm is in my car or truck if I drive them. Most of the time I am taking my moped to and fro work. I also have in my BOB my new amateur 2 meter walkie talkie which will make auto patch phone calls...if the phone lines are even working.
Absolutely a good pocket knife...or two. Not necessarily a expensive one but a good quality one. Expensive price is not a gaurantee of quality. Dont be fooled here. I dont consider myself dressed if I dont have a pocket knife on me all the time. In a suit and tie I carry a small swiss army knife.

You are looking for options in case of a bad event taking place. I have the tools to walk home some 8 plus miles in an event.

Someone on one of these survival threads said it correctly...in such an event ..the main roads are likely to be blocked off by Police or National Guard. You may have to take a round about way home. Plan for this too. Scout it out on your days off. Look up a map..for another way home ..possibly on foot...Use google earth or such if necessary.

But dont start out from the point of events taking place with nothing but a cell phone or pager... or God forbid...an Ipod......lol lol...talk about stupid!!!

Anyway..you get the idea...those of you who can think it through.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Thanks orangetom, we do agree on always being ready. Whatever happens, I can almost bet it won't be just like we planned for it. That's why you need to be flexible.

One other thing that I carry, and you need to be careful with it, is bleach. You may have to do some walking, and finding safe water could be a problem. A drop in a pop bottle full will usually do the trick to purify anything short of something out of a cow lot.

Handle the container with care, because bleach can be dangerous. But that is also a good thing. In a small spritzer bottle, you could stop a dog or human attack by hitting the eye area with a squirt or two. At least get time to run.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 02:04 AM
link   
NGC2736,

Hey olde man....you know you have a good point about the bleach. I hadnt thought of it in quite that way but it is a excellent point. You are not really looking to carry around a whole gallon but just enough to see one thorugh a few days to a week if one is once again frugal. If I look around here I am sure I will find a suitable container for this bleach.

Also your point about shoes. I am considering revising my BOB arrangements in my vehicles to include a pair of boots. Lots of people carry spare shoes in thier cars....ie..golf clubs. golf shoes et al. Why not a good pair of walking boots. Especially if you have been to some formal affair or out on the town and not wearing good supportive rugged shoeware. As you said...it could be 40 miles to your boots. For me if I am not dressed up or going out ...I am in fact in some kind of boot with work and things needing doing around here. But just in case ...boots in the vehicles...definitely I need to revise this in my BOB.

I normally carry a bottle of water in my daily BOB. I freeze half of it overnight just like I did a few minutes ago when getting home from work. IN the daytime just before shoving off to work I fill up the other half. But the Bleach idea is a good one..just a small container. Enough for say...a week.

I also have in my BOB a large bag of beef jerky. It tends to make one thirsty because of the salt but its advantage is no refrigeration required.
Also I have discovered this Tropical Fruit Trail type Mix at Wally World. Dried fruit, nuts in small individual packets or large packages. I like this mix. Once again no refrigeration needed.

IN the cooler months I Like to carry a sixpack of Snickers Bars. THis will have to be changed now that the hot months are upon us. LOL LOL...refrigeration needed here. However...once again as you aptly stated ...Flexability is the order of the day.

Thanks for the tips,
Hang in there and keep them in the X ring,
Orangetom

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
Also your point about shoes. I am considering revising my BOB arrangements in my vehicles to include a pair of boots. Lots of people carry spare shoes in thier cars....ie..golf clubs. golf shoes et al. Why not a good pair of walking boots. Especially if you have been to some formal affair or out on the town and not wearing good supportive rugged shoeware. As you said...it could be 40 miles to your boots. For me if I am not dressed up or going out ...I am in fact in some kind of boot with work and things needing doing around here. But just in case ...boots in the vehicles...definitely I need to revise this in my BOB.

If you work in an office environment, or a blue collar environment, there is no excuse to be wearing bad footwear. Most combat boots shine up good (especially garrison boots) and when wearing unbloused boots look like formal footwear.

DE

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx

If you work in an office environment, or a blue collar environment, there is no excuse to be wearing bad footwear. Most combat boots shine up good (especially garrison boots) and when wearing unbloused boots look like formal footwear.

DE

Somebody 'splain me the whole "flip-flop" phenomenon. I thought those stupid toe-rapers were for wearing in the gym shower so you didn't get athlete's foot.

Yet I see people in the grocery store, in the mall; stumbling over their stupit flipflops. Tripping over their own shoes. not wanting to walk through a puddle on a sidewalk. Getting their feet run over by a shopping cart.

I wear boots unless I'm working out. I live in the desert. I haven't seen any tarantulas this year, but it's rained a lot (and it's only june). Ditto scorpions.

With all the cigarette butts and used condoms and spent bandaids in a cinema parking lot, why on earth do people go flipflopping around in bedroom slippers.

They look like freakin mental patients. They walk with that same "thorazine shuffle." And so many of them are rude. Don't be rude to me, if I'm wearing boots and I can see your toenails. Not that I'm a bully--it just isn't prudent.

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 01:59 AM
link   
hello Deus Ex,

Long time no see. Been working long hours here. Only time to get in and out briefly on line. Twelve hour shifts here for the time being but the pay is good.

Early morning here and just got off work. Using my new laptop now as I decided to treat myself with the long hours I have been putting in. My main desire was to get away from that olde windows 98 computer and up to speed. Especially something with better RAM speed. This laptop frees up alot of space on my comuter desk too. Need to buy some excessories for it such as cooling fan mat.

Off this weekend and hope to get in some time for the shooting range. Not been much time for that either.

Your correct about good shoes. When my work shoes get worn my dogs take a terrible beating. Good shoes can change your outlook on alot of things. Never been much of a formal fancy type of guy....mostly jeans boots and a T- shirt. Ive been giving this more thought post 9/11. NGC 2736's idea about boots is a good one and would not take much to incorporate into my existing plans. Will be buying one set of new boots this weekend and another next weekend.

LOL LOL Doc Strangecraft,

I agree...very funny and intresting point you have made. Myself, I am not into flip flops nor sandals and yup...where you live boots are the order of the day, Been a long time since I have seen a scorpion out in the wild...down in San Antonio.

Good to see you folks on the boards again,
Keep them in the X ring,
Orangetom

[edit on 16-6-2007 by orangetom1999]

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 04:01 AM
link   
i Know this isnt what u asked about
but this is what i have in my BoB and i spent under 500 for it
and when u think in terms of long term cheap is not 50 bucks or any such figure cheap to me for long term is atleast 300plus $$$
#heavy duty duffle bag this duel shoulder straps 10$ army serp
#My Gi (full ninjitsu gi) with tabi shoes and socks 5$ hand made
#My Ninjato and katana (spell) ninjato is a 7 inch curved blade simaler to my sword ninjato= 304 markets + 10 for getting an edge and 100 for kat
#Monreki (chain with duel waghts at eather end)(good for snareing human and animal alike 44 for chain 1mtr + 3 for 2 cheap padlocks for ends as wgt
#tagcargi (stell climbing claws) 20$ in metal
#5kg test line and 3lbs spiderline 3$ each
#2 weeks of food rations (k rations) 10bucks army serp
# and one last ninja tool the robe and grapling hook 15$ for rope and 10$ for 100kg fish hook
all up wighting no more the 4kg
wel thats my bag
# Wifes bag #
aslotment of cutlery = 5 dolloers army serp
rope 10mtrs 15$ hardware
2x 2ltrs water = free
300ml bottle bleach or 1pack of water tabs blch is 4$ 1ltr
solid flint rock 10$
wght 3.7kgs without rope
# Bro inlawz bag #
glock 21 plus 3 box's rounds 50 bucks B/M
compund bow plus 3 rdy arrows; plus flights, shafts and broad arrow heads
bow was 100 second hand shafts are cheap as chips heads and the money drainer , Note Sertan types of rocks work as arrow heads
wght 5kgs my bows resonably heavy
#sons bag #
ebooks printed with most relivat parts (servival, bomb making, trap seting etc)
wind up flash lights x3 = free Five finger disconut
matches 2$
compases and maps 20$
wght 2.3kgs hes only 8 after all

and i have my (D-day, sitx bunker) at a mountan range thats 30kms away
with water food etc all rdy there to save on the load to lug to my spot also my hiddy hole is at an alttitude of 1035 kms above sea lvl so safe from say a mid lvl sunammi has 2 entrances to it (itsa cave of sorts) high ground cover in case of humaiod invaders with lots of scrub (most of which will be gone in a sitx sinario) but cover all the same for ambushing

i also have most of the reading matteral commpitd to memory but i have print outs just incase cuz u can never trust the human brain to rember everything espasly in the envent of an emergancy one day i may get charcoal and a higher form of carbon consused and endup taking and arm or a leg off with a violent explosion from mixxing wrong quantites.

Comments on things i may have missed and should have comment plz
cuz as they say knowleadge is power and when sitx hits the fan our knowladge is all that most of us will have going for us

and rember australia is going to be the safest place IMHO low pop, LLoooooooooots and lots of knoks and crannys for hideing and planty of animal life to eat and with the amount of caves an things if u have a Fark load of salt u can preseve meat for a Long arse time... also like on the tv show... whats its name .... jerico? something to that effect u can trade it for goods u will need... Also One thing that is an absloute Must have is a solar desalniztion chamber for making unbotable water botable cuz those taps and bleach aint goin to last for ever and it WILL take aleast a yr for life to get Sooome what back to normal and by some what i realy dont think life will ever get back to normal after sitx

And Rember the only frendly word aussie will rember after six will be this K000-Weeee war call I.e Thunder and Flash (yank verson from ww2)

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   
If you think about it, throw in some fingernail clippers. I'd hate to have a nasty hangnail and nothing to take care of it with. Imagine the infection you could get if you had to rip it out.

Plus they weigh next to nothing.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
If you think about it, throw in some fingernail clippers.

Fingernail clippers are also important for fishing; When you cut nylon fishing line with a knife, it pulls the nylon and weakens it. clippers are easier to use than scissors, which tend to crimp nylon line without cutting completely.

My BOB sits next to my tacklebox, since fishing gear is so useful in the outdoors generally.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join