It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tools to pack in BoB

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I am making myself a BoB kit and on a bit of a budget (I am 15) I was wondering what tools to put in my kit, so far I have one adjustable rench, two different sized allen keys, some nails and three unadjustable small renchs.
Any Ideas?

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Bolt Cutters...the universal key/

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Army surplus folding shovel.. cheap chep joe, you love it long time. heh

seriously, so far it has proven to be most versitile in the wild.
it digs
it can chop
it can crease a skull
it can hammer
it can pry
it can scrape a hide
it can be used as a spatula/cooking surface
it can even do your taxes

I'd be hard pressed to find a more handy tool. Also, they only run about $12 American at the most.
Perhaps a hefty blade would be a close second.

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
A wind up flashlight.....You'll never need batteries to have light. I saw one at Wal-Mart the other day for less than ten bucks.

A good knife, one that can hold an edge. Something to sharpen and keep that edge.

One roll of fishing line, 6 lb. test and one bag of hooks. You can collect bait anywhere. Fishing line has a million and one uses, besides catching fish.

One roll of duct tape. Standard issue on every space shuttle flight. It can fix anything from a radiator hose to a broken marriage.

One good, thick, paperback book that you haven't read but always wanted to. You will have down time.

One of those cheap thermal blankets. They are small, inexpensive and FLIR can't see thru them.

A compass and instructions on how to use one.

To be honest, you cannot prepare for every situation. You could have a hundred pound bag and hit the woods all confident, only to be eaten by a bear ten minutes later because you startled it.

Still, good conversation starter.

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
One good, thick, paperback book that you haven't read but always wanted to. You will have down time.

Make it the Bible, by the time you will be reading it you will be needing it.

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Well if you don't have the proper means to "Bug out" you don't need a bag.

So I just have the tools to fix the dirt bike and a sawed off 12 ga and a box of shells.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 01:39 AM
link   
entrenching tool , leatherman multitool. a canteen, some rations mres candy bars your choice really. a blanket or sleeping bag. some literature. fishing line duct tape a hammer by black and decker that has a hammer on 1 side an awl blade on other that ends in a crowbar its 34 dollars at lowes. if woods in area are dense a good cheap machete a decent fixed blade knife and a whetstone oh yeah a folded up tarp would be nice plus 2 ten packs of cheap bic lighters yes i know matches are usually recommended but they have a tendency to absorb moisture out of the air

a cople of led flash lights

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 01:47 AM
link   
A true survivor needs nothing but their wits.

Don't worry about what's going in the bag. Worry about what's going in your head. Read books and gather infomation.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Here is a list of stuff I thought would be useful in some/most situations. Of course weather you are talking rural/wilderness/or urban survival would make a lot of difference. the problem I had with most store bought kits is the stuff is junk a cheap flashlight might do you for a hour or so , Mylar space blanket ,should with care last the night, but I thought a kit should be reusable and have quality stuff but as you can see it isn’t cheap. you also have to know how to use the stuff, which means training which is the one tool you can't lose (well not quickly) note the number at the end of the item is the/a price.

survival kit list

Gerber tracer headlamp 1aaa cs 16 4 pack batteries lithium

maglight led minimaglight 2aa whs 18 8 packbattries lithium

survival tabs 15 day food supply st 28

gerber multi tool cs 40

victorinox swiss army knife cs 30

sog field pup knife cs 36

straight claw 16 oz hammer hws 10

wonder bar prybar hws 10

stanley 15-033 jab saw hws 10 assorted extra blades, wood metal, and carbide 2-5.00 2.50-5.00 each

multi-bit screwdriver hws 10

nuwick 120 hour candle cm 12

magnesium fire starter cm 7

water proof matches cm 4

fleece sleeping bag cm 30

all weather sports blanket cm 12

aqumira water treatment cm 11

nalgene 64 oz water bottle cm 10

2 nalgene 16 oz water bottle cm 14

oilcamp space saver cup cm 6

kwik-cook folding stove cm 7

soloist first aid kit cm 15

storm whistle cm 6

kelty basalt daypack cm 40

100 feet 550 paracord hws 10

CM= CAMPMORE
HWS=HARDWARE STORE
CS=CUTLERYSHOPPE

Total 392.00 OR SO DEPENDING ON ?

The one thing you have to understand is survival is a test. And its pass or fail, not graded on a curve. If after the ordeal no matter how horrible it was you are alive you pass, and no matter how comfortable you were up until they find your body you fail. there are too many skills to discuss easily because the place you find yourself in trouble can vary wildly so the main skill is learning and applying that learning to what happened, tool are great but the one tool you can not lose is your mind( well you can but then it's not important.)

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChiKeyMonKey
A true survivor needs nothing but their wits.

But a smart survivor will not solely depend on them. Your education may teach you how to make a trap to catch a rabbit, but see how much easier it is with a knife to cut a decent trap. You may have the knowledge to create a shelter out of what you can find, but this is dependant on having the right materials to hand. Having tools allows you to change the environment to suit you. This is one of the things that seperate humans from animals.

Yes have the knowledge, but have the tools to mke that knowledge useful.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Thanks for the info espeically wcssar that list was great and I will take some suggestions on making my kit. But if anyone is reading this I was wondering more specifically tools such as hammer for example if you were to build a medium to long term shelter what tools would you want.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
For a BOB space and weight is very important as you have to carry what you need. Total weight 6-10lbs. depending

Quality folding pocket knife for small jobs
Quality fixed blade knife for larger jobs
Whetstone to keep edges sharp
Fence pliers (old time multi-tool that has more use than a Gerber)
1-2 spools of 8-10 lbs test Spiderwire fishing line (pack 2-3 or more if you can in the BOB as it has many uses such as ropemaking and bowstring making)
6-8 inch quality flat head screwdriver (Craftsman, Snap-on quality or go with a 10-12-18 inch in the BOB if you can or on your belt for prying and traditional)
26 or 28 gage wire for snares (squirrel, rabbit)
Hatchet (not as fast as a bowsaw but has more uses)
Rectangular wood/metal file (large jobs, slower than bolt cutters but more uses)
Tri-corner wood/metal file (small jobs and finished detail work)
Quality needlenosed pliers (for smaller detailed jobs)
Small diary filled will useful information ahead of time.

If I had to make a break for it and only could take one item it would have to be the folding pocket knife but since I always have one in my pocket the top choice would the hatchet. Second choice would be one of the files or the fence pliers whichever I could grab first. It is always good to have a reference book but it far better to commit it to memory. One of the keys to long term survival is knowledge.

Tools are very handy to have but most anything you think of can be fabricated from items in your environment. Finding an abandoned car is a treasure trove of tools and materials. Clothing can be fashioned from fabric seats. Tire irons make good pry bars. With a standard tool box inside you can take parts like seat springs wiring and rework them to useful items. The sheet metal of the car can be bended and folded into various items. An abandoned house is of course a goldmine of pots and pans and all kinds of houshold items.

Even if dumped naked in the forest, by using the evironment you can fashion all the tools and weapons that you need with time and thought. But it is always best to have something to with you from the start.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I won't duplicate the stuff others have listed.

Mine has a small camp saw. Not for building, but for cutting firewood and clearing brush.

Hatchet. Really useful for splitting wood. It's faster than chopping. I also use it to dress/skin game.

I have lighters, matches, and a flint/steel kit.

Guitar strings, for snares

Garden trowel

Dandelion puller. I use it for a lightweight crowbar.

Big screwdriver

Some kind of japanese gardening tool, a cross between a sickle, a knife, and a hoe. My BOB bag is also used by me when prospecting. . . .

Stick of "quickSteel." Can repair radiator leaks (short term--it gets too hot!), and water, fuel tanks, oil pans. I once made an oil pan drain plug entirely out of quickSteel, but that's another thread . . .

Small pistol and ammo. I carry more than one backup; again, I take it when prospecting, so that I don't have to play "finders keepers" with anyone I meet in the woods.

Insect repellent (in Spanish! - bought it in mexico last year . . .)

Suntan lotion

Feminine pads. Frau Dr. put them in there, but they are for staunching blood flow if an artery gets severed, or to otherwise pack a wound. What they carry on ambulances is essentiall the same thing as a feminine pad.

Condoms. a lot of uses besides the obvious.

Medical tape. Non=allergenic, for use in "make your own BIG bandaid" drills. For use with f-pads.

Potassium Iodide Tablets. I'm over 40, and so radioactive Iodine will not kill me before my years of smoking will have.
But the wife and kids need them if a dirty nuke goes off. The russians built (and "lost") a lot of small nukes in this category. I figure several are in the hands of terrorists by now, just trying to get them to the USA. . . .

Toilet paper, moist towelettes.

compass with magnifying glass--can start fires as well!!

Handheld LW-MW-SW radio, crank powered.

Can't remember what else (I'm at work).

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Travel light!

I have a Leatherman Multi-tool (Needle-nose pliers, blade, philips head, flat head, file etc...), Flint and steel, 8-10 lb test spiderwire and 2 hooks, army surplus shovel, mylar thermal blanket (2), Water purification tablets, small medkit, 2 battery-less led flashlights, a small coil of nylon rope, 8'x10' tarp, collapsable water jug, swiss army knife, hunting knife, wet-stone, military surplus poncho, a handful of MREs and energy bars, a compass and a map and I have a hand-held multi-frequncy radio.

Of course, if it really hit the fan, I would strap on my handgun, shoulder my shotgun and drop some ammo in the bag too!

Minus the guns and ammo my pack weighs in at 14 lbs.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Looking at your list, Kozmo, reminded me that I have a lot of stuff that I plan to use, that stays in my vehicles. (Poncho, umbrellas, xtra crank flashlight, blanket, tool kit, etc.)

I guess I've assumed that I'd be bugging out via my own vehicle. That stuff in the cars is already boxed in the cargo space, but it'd be a separate trip outside if I were leaving on foot.

Something to think about. thanks.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Hello Dr.! Yes, I also have a tote filled with more "Luxury" type of items in the event that I bugout by truck. My tote has a hatchet, a tent, sleeping bag, additional tarps, 200' of climbing rope, hand-crank radio, a set of under-armour thermals, another collapsable water jug, a much more involved med kit, and other stuff... things used for setting camp somewhere.

I keep my BOB very light in the event that infrastructure, or lack thereof, should make impossible to leave via vehicle. Everything in my BOB is strictly for survival - not comfort.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Glad to see I am not the only one that like Spiderwire over plastic lines mono lines.

Dr.--Nice list, and I agree kozmo did mention a few extras that are good enough to add to the BOB. I have one of those nice two piece rain suits that will keep you dry but break your heart if you snag it crammed into a small stuff sack. Really should move that over instead of in the plastic tote where it is now. And a couple sets of guitar strings would save weight and space over the spool of wire. Easier to find too. My big screwdriver is an 18" Craftman that I used as a machinist mostly for making adjustments to the set stops on a die chucker. But since then have found other uses, makes a handy legal weapon. Non-lubed condoms are great water totes and can protect a cut from outside dirt if need be. Would like to see a link of that Japanese tool, it sounds interesting.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I'm sure I'm going over others replies...but if your going to create a survival kit, you might as well do it right. The very first thing you need to do is "educate" yourself in how to survive in case scenarios. There are various books/articles on the web, as well as military training/courses on survival. Knowledge is key in this scenario...

Survival Kit:
1. Pencil & Waterproof paper: You may find "waterproof paper" at any Army surplus store, or PX. These items can be very useful for making notes to yourself or to others who may be searching for you.
2. Leatherman/Swiss Army Knife: (blade, scissors, file, small screwdriver, can opener, tweezers, etc) Essential for a "survival" kit.
3. 550 lb.test Para Cord (also found at Army/Navy surplus stores/PX): The uses of Para Cord in a survival situation are too numerous to fully list.
4. Small lighter/water-proof matches: I prefer the MRE water-proof matches, but you can make the call.
5. Magnesium/Flintbar Firestarter (also used as signaling device): Just shave the magnesium with a knife (or file if you're carrying a multi-tool that has a file), collect all the shavings into a pile about the size of a dime. Just rest the corner of the bar right in the pile of magnesium shavings and run the NON-SHARPENED corner of your knife down the flint. Practice this a bit...it's real easy to get the hang of. The magnesium ignites with a flame like a blow torch, and will burn for several seconds. Keep your tinder and fuel ready to pile on, or build the tinder pile around the magnesium in such a way as to still allow the magnesium to be hit with sparks.
6. 30/50ft Fishing Line and 6/12 Fish Hooks.
7. Small hand mirror (signaling, grooming).
8. Compass.
9. Small sewing kit: Excellent for mending clothing and other items
10. A few safety pins.
11. Survival Blanket
12. Painter's Tarp 9'x7: This is a thin plastic sheet that can be used for a variety of purposes. It can be used with a little para cord as a Tarp Shelter, or as a waterproofing for the roof of whatever you construct for a shelter. It can be laid out to collect rainwater, used as a poncho, or employed as a Solar Still. This item can be purchased at your local hardware store for a couple dollars.
13. Water purifying straw or Water Purification Tablets: www.nitro-pak.com... here.
14. Duct tape or 100MPH (military duct tape).
15. Suture/Surgical Kit with small 1st aid kit. Must have, from motrin to deep cuts...it's got you covered.
16. Ziploc freezer bags.

A few things to remember:
1. Improvise to Survive: The five rules of improvisation are:
1. Determine what you really need.
2. Inventory your available materials, man made and natural.
3. Consider all alternatives.
4. Select the best one that takes the least amount of time, energy and materials.
5. Do it, making sure it is safe and durable.
2. Shelter: Shelter is a basic necessity.
3. No Substitute for Water, NONE.
4. Food, a low priority. You can survive without food for weeks without permanent side effects. After the first day or two, which can be difficult psychologically and physically as your mind tries to "encourage" you to eat, your body and mind adjust and it is more easily tolerated. Food can be an asset, particularly in cold climates, and is good for morale; but be cautious and careful about obtaining it in the wild if you do not know how. Plants offer the most common and ready wild food source. Some basic rules to stay safe (there are always exceptions, but don't risk it unless you are positive): Avoid all plants with white sap, tiny hairs, umbrella shaped flowers and white or green berries. Red berries are less risky, but eat only if you recognize them as safe. Black or blue berries are generally safe. Aggregate berries, like raspberries, are always edible. Single fruits on a stem are generally safe. Avoid mushrooms and fungi, plants with bulb roots and fruits from plants with shiny leaves.

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Ranger Blanket.

Ranger blankets are ridiculously pimp, especially the old NATO issue, OD, semiwaterproof variety. They are enormously warm, somewhat waterproof, light and easily compacted. A must for anywhere.

DE

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 12:57 AM
link   
It would probably be more important to know how to bust fire, cook a one-pot meal, and build a shelter than anything you could bring on your back.

I would recommend a strong, sharp knife (pocketknife maybe too), a few canteens of water, and maybe a backpack.

Read some survival books too as chikey said.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join