It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Someday I'll Have Time to Get Back to It

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I figure it's time I showed my own art, so as not to be left out.

I don't work anymore right at the moment because I have little kids, but someday in a few years, I'd like to at least get back into polymer clay.

This one was inspired when I found someone's wisdom teeth in a friend's bedroom and nobody knew whose they were. Hence, "Bite Me" (with real human teeth):

I had to put this one away when I had kids. Too scary. It's called "Bobo, the Patron Saint of Child Eating Clowns." I don't know why, so don't ask. Sometimes art just happens.

Can't remember off the top of my head what I called this one. It's sort of Picasso-inspired with my own twists.

"The Man in the Moon" which hangs in my daughter's bedroom:

This is my best example of my favorite medium to work in, polymer clay. For those who don't know, every color on there is a different color of clay, it is not painted. The only addition is the gold leaf that I rolled into the black clay. It is an old peppermint tin, covered with polymer clay (I prefer to work in FIMO

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
OMG another "Fimo Freak" you and my Sis would get on like a house on fire!!

Really like the "Man on the moon" it would rock on the ceiling with all the glow in the dark monkeys in my little monkey's room.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Wow, that's all wonderful. Your clown is creepy, bet i get nightmares.

I really wish I had talent like that, cause right now I have as much as a monkey with a paintbrush. I used to sculpt... but even that lacked talent.

Once had an art teacher tell me I had a wonderful eye for detail, if only i had the physical talent to back it up.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Thanks, guys.

Jessica, art isn't about talent, it's about emotion. Seriously don't let the fact that you don't paint like Rembrandt stop you. I just paint what I feel. I always thought I was just sort of so-so, but I've had shows in galleries, and even had some stuff in the De Young Museum in San Francisco for World AIDS Day in the 90's.

If you aren't good at painting, so what? Polymer clay is a joy to work with and it doesn't take talent per se, it takes attention to detail and a love of working it.

Beading and other things also count as art, IMO. I gave up a grant I used to get because they said that polymer clay is a craft, not an art.

I wrote them a long letter saying how "crafts" were traditionally women's art. They had to make everything in their homes and decorate it too, so they didn't have time to go around painting chapel ceilings and being apprentices. I think classifying women's arts as "crafts" is chauvinistic.

So if you find something you're good at, that takes you into the "zone" to do, then you're making art, even if it's just sewing patchwork pillows.

Foo on the nay-sayers.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   
actually i am quite good at needle point (if i have a pattern to follow) and Crochet. I really need to get back to that kind of stuff, i got a closet full of things that I was given to make and still haven't gotten around to.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Jessica, art isn't about talent, it's about emotion.

Don't even sell yourself short. Talent is more than just rendering a realistic object. Most aren't aware, but there is a lot of Picasso's work that is extremely realistic, and he could just as easily render realistic scenes if he wished... As you stated, it's about emotion (and expression).

BTW, your Man in the Moon shows many earmarks of quality art talent (composition, color use, expression, etc.), so don't sell your talent short...
(and Saint Bobo is creeping me rtf out...!)

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Thank you, Gazrok! I just wish I had the time to work again right now. But someday ...

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
wow MM that clown is great!

the moon is excellent as well!

i want to see more

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Wait a few years, until my son grows up.

I did work on a mural on Shattuck Ave. in the 90's that's still there, if a bit faded. I'll try to remember to take my camera next time I go by there to take a pic for you.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 02:48 AM
link   
i have a few that i'll try and get up in the next couple of days as well

top topics

join