It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats outside our universe?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   
If anyone ever goes outside of the universe... please bring me back my TV remote... I got angry one day and threw it so hard it never came back.

Go here and search Steven Hawking... there is a couple of "episodes" that explain most of the things people are wondering. Like the bubble theory, the super string theory, black holes etc. Basically about the universe.
www.pbs.org...

Note: I don't know if it is still on here.

[edit on 13-5-2007 by The_unraveller]

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
Personally I think what is outside of the Universe is the Multiverse.

I see it as the Universe being an infinitely large area within a finite (though incredibly large)
space among an infinite amount of other Universes, I have a theory about alternative Universe
creation that would tie in with it, but I feel that would be going a bit off topic.

An non-defined area confined within a finite area, could not be infinite.

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by shrunkensimon
In other words, "don't try and figure it out, because its too complicated, and only the "experts" will succeed".

I know I cannot fathom an infinite area of space. It's just not possible to do so. A direction of travel where you never find a destination ?!

Id go mad even trying to seriously contemplate it.

But I do agree with you. It just leaves me with the thought - where are we then.

Bubbles of the known, vast and complex, floating side by side, so insanely big they never collide.. or one big hyper-impossible and ultimately mind blowingly big area, encompassing everything, yet never encompassing anything because it is simply infinite...

Either way, its a belief - a leap of faith.. man, it makes me wish I still took acid..

Edit - damn spell shecker turned Beleif into Beef instead of Belief...

[edit on 13/5/2007 by badw0lf]

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Maybe there is nothing because we are actually inside or on edge of a gigantic universe size blackhole, and we are infact falling inside to the centre, therefore making the universe seem infinite as it would seem to stretch forever as we look at it as time would be distorted and light.

Another thing is about light is it seems to travel in 1 direction from everywhere BUT what the hell is producing light from all directions and it all heads our way too that seems little odd when i think of it in that way.

Also maybe universe is tube like and round like a tyre and around and around atoms and matter goe making new stars and galaxys over and over even though its a finite space it would seem infinite.

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   

I know I cannot fathom an infinite area of space. It's just not possible to do so. A direction of travel where you never find a destination ?!

Id go mad even trying to seriously contemplate it.

you mean like understanding the opposite sex?

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   
How bout this theory of my own....

IF energy and matter are one and the same, then maybe.... Myself, my cat, my house, the Earth, the Universe are all pieces of energy within one big ball of energy which is just waiting around to be grounded.

A continual electrical circuit, maybe with loss, maybe with gain....

It is simply our (and my cat's) perception of reality. We perceive the universe around us as stimuli, electrical stimuli in the brain.

Everything around could simply be bits of this huge "ball of energy", simply percieved by ours senses in different ways.

Although what exists outside this "ball of energy" that I've imagined up, beats me - maybe it's not space that's infinite - but energy that is infinite.

I think I've just scared myself

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Such a hard question to answer and one im sure know one would like to say they know for sure. i disagree with the theory that there would be millions of other universes just because the chances of one being created was near impossible never mind millions of them. to find out a question like that we would need to know what was there before the big bang? because even nothing is something.

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
The word universe is something greater than we all think i guess. I look at it as a never ending paper wich you can draw on, i draw all the galaxy's surrounding ours and 100.000.000.000 miles away from that i draw an other 1000 galaxy's. Wouldnt they not still be in "the" universe? Wich would make the never ending paper the universe.

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Another exact same thread started some time ago: What is past our Universe?

I reckon you should run a thread search before starting another thread on the same topic. The search tool is just under the 'ATS chat' button on the toolbar.

But if you want to hear my theory again, there are many many spherical shaped universes, with smaller and smaller spherical universes in between them.

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by blue bird
If you define Universe as:

"Universe is ALL THAT IS."

.....there is nothing outside....

I follow this line of opinion on it.

The universe is the space within which we see galaxies, planets, stars, and the like. The space may go on infinitely, or perhaps it gets to a point where if your on the 'edge' of the universe, you are pulled away from going further by a gravity like force because nothing exists in that spot *yet*. then as the universe is expanding you could ride its' edge, but beyond it?

That would have to be nothing, because if the universe is all that exists, ie; everything, then anything beyond it would therefore be absolutely nothing. Non-existant.

I dont even know if you could 'ride' the edge of the universe if you had the means or not, but I've always thought of the universe as endless amounts of nothingness in every direction, infinite. Like a number with no end, once you get past all the stars, matter, and other things, then your left with infinite darkness..

but if you travel for 246341 light years into the nothingness, you'll come upon the Enterprise and Captain Kirk.

[edit on 5/13/2007 by runetang]

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
An non-defined area confined within a finite area, could not be infinite.

Non-defined would apply to a finite area that the overall shape of is not know.

I mean an infinite area inside a finite object.

Quite a few scifi writers have come up with similar ideas, though the ares inside and
out is finite, it's basically the area on the inside being bigger than it is if you calculate
the area by measuring the outside.

For instance, a sphere that measures 1ft from any point to the opposite point when
measured from the outside, that contains an area equal to 1 mile when measured from
one side to the other on the inside.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 01:59 AM
link   
What does it mean to say there is more than one universe?

Linguistically, we define 'the universe' as the sum total of all that exists. Simplistically, then, there cannot, by definition, be more than one universe.

However...

In mathematical and theoretical physics, there are numerous models of reality in which the universe we inhabit is only one of many. I have a feeling that many people, including some who are posting on this thread, visualize this as several 'universes' located at some distance from each other in space, a bit like galaxies are distributed across our own universe.

This is incorrect. The point about multiple universes is that they are multiple realities, and the inhabitants of one reality have no access to or first-hand knowledge of any other.

Multiple universes cannot exist in the same space (as I was rather surprised to see Iori Komei appear to suggest). If there are other universes besides this one, they exist in some other spacetime, not in ours.

As I understand it, there are two possibilities.

1. Other universes are strung out along a dimension or dimensions of spacetime imperceptible to us. These 'higher' dimensions may or may not exist -- string theorists deal with them quite familiarly -- but only a being capable of perceiving and moving about in them would be able to perceive and move between these multiple universes. Only they would not be multiple universes to such a being, but merely different locations in the five- (or higher)- dimensional spacetime in which it lived.

2. Our universe may be nested inside a singularity in another universe, while still other universes may be nested inside singularities in ours. It may perhaps be possible to travel between them if one could find a way to pass through the singularities unscathed. However, this isn't really very different from the first possibility, since each such universe would have its own spacetime, independent of the others.

In terms of human reality, which is circumscribed by the three spatial dimensions we inhabit plus (maybe) time, the original question, 'what lies outside the universe?', can be answered easily and authoritatively.

The answer is: nothing.

As rocksolidbrain correctly points out,

The question is simply wrong logically, because if you find anything or even nothing outside what is visible it will immediately become a part of this universe.... !!

Exactly. You are part of the universe and so are your measuring instruments. The moment you take yourself and your instruments 'outside' the universe to measure it, you're actually extending the universe!

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 04:38 AM
link   
What is outside our Universe

Well it seems you are assuming the Universe has a boundary. Why make such an assumption.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Whats outside our universe?

Probably peppermint icecream and chocolate chip cookies; that's my educated guess.

``````````````````````````````````
Please read ABOUT ATS: Warnings for one-line or short responses

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 14/5/07 by masqua]

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Ask an infinitely tiny being with an infinately short life span living on an elctron whizzing around a nuclius whats outside of an atom. You'll get the same answer : i don't know.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr.TopSecretX
I have always been curious about what what could be outside the universe. Its very hard for our minds to think on a scale like that. I would like to here your opinions and theories about what you think is outside our universe.

Someone elses universe, perhaps? We will most likely never be able to catch up with its expansion, unless of course it stopped.

[edit on 14-5-2007 by Cydonian Priest]

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Growth.............
It will be the next universe (atom) over from ours. Who can tell what the overall picture is, you're one piece of an infinately pieced jigsaw, good luck trying to see the big picture........

[edit on 14-5-2007 by DuncanIdahoGholem]

[edit on 14-5-2007 by DuncanIdahoGholem]

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by siddharthsma
It seems you are assuming the Universe has a boundary. Why make such an assumption?

I can't speak for the original poster. For myself and many others, the argument goes something like this:

1. The more distant a galaxy is from us, the more the light from it appears to be 'shifted' towards the red (low-frequency) end of the electromagnetic spectrum. This 'red shift' is explained by the Doppler effect; it occurs because the object emitting the light is moving away from us.

2. Notice that the further away the galaxy is from us, the more the light is red-shifted. This means that far-away galaxies are moving away from us more quickly than nearby ones. This means that the galaxies are accelerating away from us.

3. There can't be anything very special about our viewpoint on Earth. Therefore the galaxies of the cosmos are moving away from every point in the universe from which they can be observed.

4. Therefore the universe is expanding.

5. We can find out how fast this expansion is by calculating the red shift of the furthest galaxies. We can then do a simple calculation and see that the expansion, if it started from a single point, started about 13.7 billion years ago.

6. Nothing in the universe can travel faster than light (let's leave hypothetical particles like tachyons out of the argument). Therefore the universe cannot be bigger than twice the distance light can travel in 13.7 billion years.

7. Therefore the universe is likely to be a sphere about 27.4 billion light-years across.

8. This is is a finite number. Therefore the universe has a finite extent. This implies a boundary.

I should add that there are innumerable subtleties and variations in all of this, and that there are plenty of cosmologists who believe the universe is infinite in extent nevertheless. However, anyone asking the question 'what is outside the universe' must assume that there is an outside, and that therefore the universe is finite.

But whether or not the universe is finite, whether it has a boundary or not, there is still nothing outside it. There cannot be anything outside the universe.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 06:53 AM
link   
How many points are on the line? Well, the answer is: infinite!
Universe does not have to have spatial infinity in order to contain infinites.

And, there is also, temporal infinity ( constant change ) in closed , finite systems.

The Universe is finite and expanding - but, does not have a boundary.

Then - Universe is all that exist, and was existing and will exist.

In case you belive in “infinite“ Universe - there is no such thing as “outside“.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Actually,we must not imagine “expansion“ of the Universe - as some kind of galaxies running through space - that what is expanding is fabric of space time.

It is just impression , that galaxies are “moving“ away from each other - it is like inflating the balloon. Paint some dots there - and you will see, that dots are not moving - but space between them is increasing. Stretching ( like rubber sheet ) of space-time is what is happening.

Ad we can not step outside!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join