It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The British

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Stu,

We know where your coming from and you are 100% correct..

I'd give you a WATS, but I'm out, so how about a pat on the back for the TRUTH!!

Semper

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
A trick you Americans learned of us then? Can't be all bad

And what does that have to do with Britain?

Well, seeing as the USA was built on slavery and we were the first to ban it and actively pursued those who traded in slaves, I don't think this is actually that valid a point. Considering the height of the Empire was well after abolition.

Again, how does "the US did it too" negate the fact that Britain profited handsomely from slavery?

Still goes on today. What's the difference? That it's the CIA doing it instead makes it ok now?

What's that, 3 "the US does it too's" now? Again, how does that negate the fact that Britain profited handsomely from selling drugs, then declaring war on the country they were selling to?

It wasn;t a policy directed from the UK, but rather settlers taking it upon themselves to kill what they saw as a native threat. Also disease took it's toll on the population.

Seeing as there were only 3,000 to begin with, this number pales in comparison to the US Army slaughtering of the Native American's.

So the people who exterminated the Tasmanians weren't British? And here we go with the 4th US deflection...

If there were 3000 or 3 million doesn't matter; it's the fact that the British exterminated an ethnic group of their fellow humans. At least the US left SOME Native Americans...

Again, her £2.5 billion is much less than the world's richest who all reside in the USA. Or is it ok for rich people to live in the US and enjoy the trappings of wealth, but not in the UK?

Can you refute anything without referencing the US?:shk:

BTW, I'm talking resources and assets, not just currency. And the fact is that your queen owns a lot around the world, including in the US and Canada.

My apologies to any Americans who read the above, even though it is the truth, but we were having a polite, civil discussion here and then he came in to troll.

Whatever, bruh.
When I post the truth, it's trolling, but when you do so, it's polite and civil...I won't even say typical here.:shk:

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Way to miss a point there "truthseeka"...

First off, I never denied that we didn't do anything of what you said.

I was merely demonstrating that whilst the UK has done it's fair share of deeds, your oh-so-glorious "Land of the Free" is hardly a shining beacon to be compared to, nor does it enable you to take any sort of moral high ground. At least we banned slavery first and without a War over it......

The whole point of your post was an obviously, aggressive trolling attempt in what has otherwise been a civil discussion about Britishness. Whilst I do not object to bringing things like this to the table, I think the manner in which you did it was out of order and not constructive to the discussion at hand.

If memory serves, your an "African-American" and you DO have an axe to grind against White people. I've seen you about on the boards, so I know the score.

Now, if you can't talk politely, then don't bother at all.

Thankyou

[edit on 28/5/07 by stumason]

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Hmm..

Why where the Brits so great at everything they do..

I believe, that when Britain finally was founded on strong footing to the point where they could not be destroyed entirely be a ravaging invasion..

They had the military expertise to ensure that they did not fall victim..

While this may ensure their survivability it did not generate the British Empire.. the worlds most far reaching of Empires..

It was, to some extent, British culture that dominated in Europe, and still does to an extent.. the most influential and so forth..

But above all of that, Britain is known for warfare ingenuity .. creating modern weapons that surpass the rest and in doing so often had the foot up..

They could send vast armies out to sea to conquer and pillage, bringing back the wealth of the plunder, and not have to worry about being invaded by land, sneak attacks or any such thing.. yet where close enough to attack if they wish..

Sheer military power, wealth, and culture is what makes great Empires, and Britain has had all of this, and so they where a vast and powerful empire.

I would not say though that Britain today is Britain as it was 2000 years ago.. it is much different, many wars have destroyed the foundations of the Kingdom and having it rebuilt.. still the signs are even in the English language, having French influences in words and spelling (colour) is evidence of times when Britain was not the strongest, and fell victim..

But you cannot honestly expect one kingdom to rule over all kingdoms for all eternity. There is a cycle of course.

todays Britain still holds the power of military and the cultural reach that holds them with high influential abilities.. however I personally see the cultural reach weakening, and other nations cultures advancing.. The United Kingdom however is still strong and most likely won't be challenged for a while, you guys have an ingrained system of heritage, history, culture and the will power to lay it all on the line and defend you Island when it's threatened.. It takes this patriotic will to fight off enemies to remain who you are..

I would like to see Britain stay out of needless imperial wars that have minimal benefits.. I am all for wars if you benefit financially, it is the way of great nations to suppress those weaker..

But I think you guys are becoming puppets of the United States.. and I would like to see you leave our war, as the benefits are minimal at best for you guys personally.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
I was merely demonstrating that whilst the UK has done it's fair share of deeds, your oh-so-glorious "Land of the Free" is hardly a shining beacon to be compared to, nor does it enable you to take any sort of moral high ground. At least we banned slavery first and without a War over it......

It was YOU who began the comparison of the US and Britain, not me. I never said the US was the example of morality, but you did a fine job of deflection there.

The whole point of your post was an obviously, aggressive trolling attempt in what has otherwise been a civil discussion about Britishness. Whilst I do not object to bringing things like this to the table, I think the manner in which you did it was out of order and not constructive to the discussion at hand.

Right. I guess you're mad because I bad-mouthed your queen? Too bad; people spit on our president all the time. You don't see me crying about that.

If memory serves, your an "African-American" and you DO have an axe to grind against White people. I've seen you about on the boards, so I know the score.

Sure, bruh. Keep tallying if it makes you feel better.

Now, if you can't talk politely, then don't bother at all.

Thankyou

[edit on 28/5/07 by stumason]

If I'm being so "impolite and uncivilized," there's an ignore button you can make use of. So, if you don't like me pointing out the crooked stuff the British did in their quest for empire, click it. Simple and plain.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
Right. I guess you're mad because I bad-mouthed your queen? Too bad; people spit on our president all the time. You don't see me crying about that.

Your making that ass-umption foreigners so often do that any derogatory mention of Queen Liz will have us fainting away in shock or jumping up and down in an uncontrolable rage. Bit of stereotyping going on there eh.

Although personally I think she does a wonderful job I'm sure she's big enough 9and rich enough0 to take a few broadsides now and again.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Rock not bad, but I was abit concerned re the line your happy to financially benefit from war, is'nt that fundamentally wrong, is that not why wars are fought for in the first place.

Does killing another human for proffit make it right, if I killed my neighbour for his expensive car is that not wrong?

Does a countries murderous actions have an moral free pass over immoral individual gain.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Truth your correct the British have been responsible for the deaths of countless millions and enslaved hundreds of millions but we cannot always put the past right but we can try to make sure we have a better future where we learn from our mistakes and wrong doings.

One can point the finger of blame in all directions to all peoples but we have to move on and in doing so hope that we can all learn to live together in some kind of peace and harmony because if we dont there is no hope for us and there must always be hope.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
Rock not bad, but I was abit concerned re the line your happy to financially benefit from war, is'nt that fundamentally wrong, is that not why wars are fought for in the first place.

Does killing another human for proffit make it right, if I killed my neighbour for his expensive car is that not wrong?

Does a countries murderous actions have an moral free pass over immoral individual gain.

In my own personal opinion of course, yes the death of another people for the benefit of an empire is not morally wrong, but fully expected and correct that in order to attain the "head" of a group of nations, one must press dominance upon the rest. It's simply the way of states, in the international ring of anarchy.

You cannot relate killing your neighbor to international wars, a state its self should not be held to a moral standard outside of honor its self when engaged in war.

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by reaper2
I believe the SAS have a motto for this; He Who Dares Wins.

It's "Who Dares Wins". "He who dares..." was Del Boy.

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   

One can point the finger of blame in all directions to all peoples but we have to move on and in doing so hope that we can all learn to live together in some kind of peace and harmony because if we dont there is no hope for us and there must always be hope.

Amen to that. Let's get off the fashionable finger pointing and get real. Human beings are capable of great cruelty, there race/skin colour/nationality has very little to do with it.

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
The entire world owes a great debt to the British. Sure they exploited nations worldwide, but the British left cultural improvements everywhere they went, I believe.

Today's British should be both proud and humbled by this fact.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join