It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Film Piracy supports Terrorism?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I couldn`t believe my ears! I went to the local cinema today and I noticed they have been showing more pre film warnings about piracy and " if you spot anything suspcious to tell the staff" etc..

well, there was a new ad today, its went something along the lines of....

"Film piracy is bad, organised crime uses money gained from illegal copying... Film piracy contributes to Terrorism..."

I know "terror" is the new buzz word but this is taking this a little too far ! its insanity! I just thought of Al Quiada all sitting around in the caves waiting for the next hollywood blockbuster to come on so they can go down to Kabul cinema complex with the digtial camcorders to record a copy......

i mean, do these people even have any proof before being allowed to brainwash people like this?

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
My brother recenyly gave me a copy of X2 he made on his computer using his DVD burner. Is he really bin Laden in disguise ?

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
If the RAII or whatever it's called can use it they will, and since they pay off our politicians they can.

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
eRnie - its an old message and predates 9/11 - actually the FACT message refers to the use of pirated video tapes being used as a source of funds for the IRA.

It was actually ironic that one of the biggest "legitimate" video rental stores in Ireland in the 80s was a front for the Provos money laundering.

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Aah good info there Silk, I hadn`t heard of the IRA stuff but I did think it might have related to some terrorism group somewhere, even if they had to setup a blockbusters on their own

I better not go into the fact about the IRA being supported by people in the USA, cos then Bush would have to invade them too, being supporters of terrorism etc...

[Edited on 3-1-2004 by eRnie]

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   
The FACT stuff was floating about in the late 90s - my copies of MIB and ID4 both have the "buy pirate - support terrorism" ad on them. This was a crack down on the car boot sale copies of films going around.

As for the US connection - thats a laugh - I lived in NYC and used to see An Phoblact - the Sinn Fein newspaper on sale in the Irish bars I used to frequent - oh and the tin being passed round for "Prisoners Aid" LOL

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   
What ever happened to the IRA? Growing up Harrod's seemed to bombed weekly.

On class trip to London, our teachers were like: we're all gonna die!!

Did Bono negotiate a settlement? He's such a twirp.

Yes, I'm aware I make no sense.

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Rant - Harrods was only ever bombed once - the Europa Hotel in Belfast many times - so many infact that it rivaled some of the Hotels in Beurit.

Though given how many times we in the mainland were bombed it was actually nothing to the lives of ordinary people in the province - but life there went on as normal day in day out. They refused to let the terrorists win.

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Ahh, that is hilarious considering that all the "terrorists" have weapons given to them by the United States, and were all trained by the CIA...

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gothique
My brother recenyly gave me a copy of X2 he made on his computer using his DVD burner. Is he really bin Laden in disguise ?

I admit it ! - I'm the real Saddam Hussein !!! I copied 'Reign of Fire' onto my computer !

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   
This warning replaced the normal one on video tapes in the UK post-September 11th. They used to tell us, understandably, that piracy harms consumers as you get an inferior product. I saw a video recently and it told me that piracy funds terrorism. It's ludicrous. Piracy is obviously a source of income for criminals, but terrorism is becoming the new AIDS. Everybody takes it far too seriously.

If you buy a pirate tape, which you wouldn't want to because they seldom ever work prooperly, then the worst you are doing is giving your money to a small time gangster.

Osama gets his money from the CIA, he doesn't need to flog dodgy copies of "Finding Nemo" to buy bombs.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
LOL.

Unknown are the ways of capitalist w*ores!

Terrorism?

My bottom!

Who do the terrorists benefit anything if i would dl something free of charge,
also lesser quality than in 'orginals'?

Dont think so..

But what do i know..

[Edited on 6-1-2004 by FULCRUM]

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   
By the latest definitions, everyone can now be a terrorist. It's so vague, they can use it as they see fit.

You're a terrorist if you:

1) Use or deal drugs
2) Read the "wrong" books
3) Protest gov't actions
4) Make references to your rights
5) Are associated with anyone who might be associated with someone who might
know a terrorist
6) Go to the wrong country at the wrong time
7) Pirate any kind of multimedia
8) Boycott US products
9) Watch anti-gov't documentaries

I'm sure I could go on all day. The list goes on and on...

[Edited on 1-6-2004 by Satyr]

join