It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What could the A-12 have been?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I have always had an intrest in the GD/MDD A-12 Avenger II Stealth Attack/Strike aircraft. The project was concieved for the Navy to forfill the Deep Strike mission and to provide a a carrrier based Nuclear strike option to the military planners. The aircraft used a flying wing configuration like the B-2 Spirit.

Below are some images of the A-12 Avenger II:

The usual airframe design would have given it a large payload and long range when compared with other carrier assets of a simular size. There are also unconfired stories that if the A-12 had entered production, that the US Air Force might have brought some as an F-111 replacement.

My question is: If the A-12 had become operational, how might it have changed US air power?

I would like people to give it some serious thought, but at the same time, be a little creative.

Tim

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I'm a little put off that you felt the need to make a post this specfic for the A-12 since I no more then 5 min ago post thoughts ver similar to this in my current A-12 thread but I wont say that your wrong in creating it. It may help to keep idea on track.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   
here is the relevent post from my other thread just incase it helps get some ideas going.

I really do think they (the Contractors) did take something away from the A-12 project. And it pretty simple Don't go over budget by 4 million dollars and not even have a plane flying. To myself its frustrating how close minded the Gov can be though too right? I know alot of you agree with me on that. Project like the BWB and A-12 get canned and we still have the CF-18 flying around. It deffently seems like we are long over due for plane like the F-22A and so on. I guess I want to heaer what ghost, waynos, shadowhawk, switchblade-all of you think about the way the goverment handled the A-12 program and should they of had more time and money for a plane the was pushing the limit or was an updated F-18 really the better option?

Can't wait to hear what you guys and gals think! I think the issue to disscus now is the mind set of programes and trying to push the envelope. I have a feeling these mind sets will have an effect on UCAV testing and the like as well and I know a number of member are very gung-ho to see that tech come to fruition.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   
The issue with a mono role airplane is that of the role - as the 1990`s dawned everone woke up to the fact that a mono role ariframe wasn`t going anywhere - the coldwar was won so something that could be a jack-of-all-trades was needed . before a new and improved `what we need is` could be put down.

and the A-12 wasn`t that.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Canada_EH
I'm a little put off that you felt the need to make a post this specfic for the A-12 since I no more then 5 min ago post thoughts ver similar to this in my current A-12 thread. . .

I meant no offense! I have posted to your thread several times on the A-12 issue. I started this because I was under the impression that you were intending to focus on the politics behind the program.

My intent is to side step the politics all together and focus on the program in it's role as a military weapon!

Sorry if I misread your intentions Canada_EH, I though my topic might compliment yours in discussion, not replace it!

Tim

[edit on 5/12/2007 by Ghost01]

new topics

top topics

join