It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV show Heroes - NWO, 2012, DNA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 07:19 AM
link   
A friend of mine recommended this show to me, and i must admit it really got me suckered in. For those that don't know, its a show about a group of people who discover they have extraordinary abilities, and must fight to save NY from being wiped out by a nuclear blast/save the world.

Now, the minute i began watching this show, i realised that the writers had incorporated many truth/conspiracy themes into it, such as the nuke in NY for example, and in one episode, one of the characters must get to a highschool by 8:12pm (written out, 20:12) to save the cheerleader.

I don't know where im going with this, but im sure others will have watched the show, and thought "wait a second, i recognise something here!". Just wanted to know peoples thoughts on the show, and what they mite be trying to implant in unsuspecting peoples heads for example, or whether it is an attempt to wake people up? It certainly has struck a chord in me, and many others my age (im 20).

Oh, and the Japanese character "hiro" is a legend
"waffles...yaahooo!"

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I watch this show religiously (right now it's the best show on television, in my opinion) but I've never noticed anything particularly relevant to real-world conspiracies and such in it.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nick Nightstalker
I watch this show religiously (right now it's the best show on television, in my opinion) but I've never noticed anything particularly relevant to real-world conspiracies and such in it.

But don't you find it maddening the way they're always opening new subplots while barely tying up the old ones?

There are so many open now, I don't see how they're going to tie anything up in the last 2 or 3 shows.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01

But don't you find it maddening the way they're always opening new subplots while barely tying up the old ones?
There are so many open now, I don't see how they're going to tie anything up in the last 2 or 3 shows.

ROFL, mate, you should watch 'Lost'. Absolutely infuriating, that show is.

I download and watch TV programs, so I think I'll wait until Heroes is over and then watch all the seasons in a one week binge. Best way to do it.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Yeah, I heard about that, and I've purposely stayed away from Lost for that reason.

What's a bit puzzling is the producer of Heroes is inviting fans to write in and give their theories and ideas, as though they've run out or something.

I think the best thing for them to do is keep the same characters, which was not the original plan. According to Tim Kring, he was going to have almost all of them killed off and then start the second season with different characters (maybe a prequel?).

Now he's saying he's keeping most of them but going into the story from a different angle.

That's OK by me, because I like spending time with the various core chars on the show, iow, character-driven.

But if they keep changing focus or get too far off the story line I think I might just decline to join in on the second season.

They're doing the same kind of thing in a different way with Smallville. They keep leading us on, and are really getting away from the core Superman story. Clark is just doing the 'Big Dumb Alien' thing and Lex is evil, then not so evil, from week-to-week.

Oh well...

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I find it interesting that more and more movies and tv shows are depicting nuclear blasts going off on American soil.

It began with The Sum of All Fears, and Terminator 3. Now you have shows like this one and 24 showing nuclear blasts. And a Nicholas Cage movie is coming out soon showing guess what: a nuke going off in LA. They are plenty of others and they all seem to have come out in the last few years. At one point this would have been crossing the line, but now its all over the media. I am concerned that whoever controls the media if you believe that some entity does is prepping the American public for catastrophic nuclear event of some sort.

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Awful, horrible, terrible show. Throw pop culture, comic book cliches, and entry-level conspiracy theories into a blender, sans creativity, hit the switch, serve up the intoxicating brew to your pseudo-literate audience and watch your ratings soar. And I think that Bruckheimer creep's behind it...

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 03:25 AM
link   
The Sum of All Fears is one of the best books I have ever read, and the movie is literally one of the worst movies I have ever seen, apart from those Scary Movie movies.

And what is the purpose of television? Of the tv shows? To entertain us for whatever reason. Soaring ratings means that that show is working, so Heroes, by the sound of it, keeps us all happy. You don't have to watch it. Go to Africa and help people less fortunate than you if you can't think of anything better to do than complain about tv shows.

And that Sum of All Fears book is simply a must read.

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01

Well I think I heard that the final episode is 2 hours, so that seems like a lot of time to fill in everything. I love this show, but personaly I like lost a tiny bit better. 3 shows that I love, Lost, heroes and prison break. I really hate those teen type shows, like The oc.

Smallville is good, but it feels like every episode is a filler, or something to pass by. Nothing too exiting, just kinda in the middle.

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Awful, horrible, terrible show. Throw pop culture, comic book cliches, and entry-level conspiracy theories into a blender...

Well no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American viewing public,
but for me the show is more character-driven.

I watch it because I want to spend time with Hiro and the Cheerleader, and Mrs Petrelli and her son are pretty good Baddies.

But I can't dispute your POV too much on the comic book clichés, and throwing a bunch of conspiracies in a blender, LOL.

[edit on 13-5-2007 by Badge01]

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Smallville is good, but it feels like every episode is a filler, or something to pass by. Nothing too exiting, just kinda in the middle.

Not only that, they also spend the last ten minutes of each episode as some kind of syrupy epilogue. It's getting to the point where you can change the channel at 0:50 into it and not miss anything...

When you consider that hour programs are now more likely to be actually only 43 minutes, that means we're only getting about 30 actual minutes of show.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
This was also being discussed in the Alien/UFO forums. It was a thread I started, Is TV Helping Discloser? It might relate to some of the stuff being mentioned here. If you want to read it, click below.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   

What's a bit puzzling is the producer of Heroes is inviting fans to write in and give their theories and ideas, as though they've run out or something.

I don't find that the least bit puzzling, nor do I see it as indication that they've run out of ideas. I can't find the reference, but creator Tim Kring has at least a rough idea for where he wants to head with the next 3 seasons at least.

To me, the 'submit your theories' move by NBC is an attempt to avoid the Lost pitfalls. In this way, the writers can engineer the show so that it continues to be what the fans want to see, rather than getting caught up in relationship dramas between 3 of the characters, infuriating viewers everywhere.

I think there are definitely hints of some of the things discussed here being inserted into the plots. I hadn't put together the 8:12 - 2012 connection before, so that's definitely an interesting one.

But come on, powerful men either engineer, or allow to happen, a major catastrophic event in NYC which kills many. This event is then used to unite the world against 'evil'. A powerful politician from NYC guides the city through this crisis and later runs for president.

Maybe that is an 'entry-level conspiracy theory', but it's a strong statement that, to my knowledge, hasn't been made in any mainstream media before.

Being a sci-fi fan, I was always going to enjoy a well-made show about people with superpowers (say what you like about the writing, the production is definitely of a high calibre). But for me what makes the show is the characters. You have a great collection of people who are just that - people. There's no real 'good' and 'evil', there's just people faced with difficult decisions.

And I have said to many around me, time and time again, that I don't think there is a single other character in any fiction who is as inherently lovable as Hiro. You simply can't not like him.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nick Nightstalker

are you kidding?

the concept of the President of the US plotting a massive attack in downtown New York (under direct influence by powerful people behind the scenes, including people who rigged the election to get him the position of president), then denying it and blaming it on other reasons, for the sake of bringing the surviving population closer together and instilling patriotism - this has no relevance to any real-world conspiracy at all? Not even a single conspiracy theory comes to mind?

p.s. the real quandary of Heroes is whether or not Sylar is eating the brains. Let me explain:

SylarEatsBrains.com...

[edit on 15-5-2007 by scientist]

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 10:35 PM
link   
i also am hooked on the show. ive been keepin up with the similarities in the show, like the 2012 reference, eclipse, the single helix etc but i cant understand why they've killed off so many people as well. sylar's gotten so many different abilities now. peter petrelli needs to step it up and showcase everything he's got. guessing that'll be a scene for the season finale. would peter be able to absorb all of sylar's abilities now as well? and yes sylar i think does eat their brains. the show does seem to leave you hanging by starting new storylines without finishing previous ones. originally i thought it was going to be an xmen rip but it seems to be holding its own. overall the show does have an underlying 'alternative concepts' theme...

man i really want powers.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Awful, horrible, terrible show. Throw pop culture, comic book cliches, and entry-level conspiracy theories into a blender, sans creativity, hit the switch, serve up the intoxicating brew to your pseudo-literate audience and watch your ratings soar. And I think that Bruckheimer creep's behind it...

How's this for synchronicity: I've been reading producer Greg Beeman's blog for the past few weeks (since the mid-season break actually). It's really fascinating to read, and if you think the minds behind Heroes are uncreative hacks, I suggest you read it. You may not like the show, but the guys behind it are definitely giving it their all and trying to make a quality piece of TV.

Anyway, here's the excerpt with the sychronicity. It's from the most recent post, which I only just read today after reading uberarcanist's post. This section is in reference to a scene between Hiro and his father. I won't go into more detail in case I spoil something for someone:

We made sure to find a great warehouse to shoot in, and I encouraged our DP Nate Goodman to “Bruckheimer” it up, with shafts of smokey light streaming in. That’s not really Nate’s thing, he’s more realistic. But after I pressed for a while we did it, and I think it looks good.

Source: gregbeeman.blogspot.com...

new topics

top topics

join