It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reference and discussion Republican presidents Religious beliefs 1900 onwards

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Here is a list of the Branch of Christianity that Republican presidents have subscribed to since 1900 to the present. Your welcome to add those who served in office before 1900 but for the sake of relevancy I have started at 1900 .

William McKinley Methodist
Theodore Roosevelt Dutch Reform
William Taft Unitarian
Warren Harding Baptist
Calvin Coolidge Congregationalist
Herbert Hoover Quaker
Dwight D. Eisenhower Presbyterian
Richard Nixon Quaker
Gerald Ford Espiscopal
Ronald Reagan Presbyterian
George H. W. Bush Espiscopal
George W. Bush United Methodist

Only Quakers and Presbyterian's make the list more then once.

Time for some questions for conservative voters.
If your a Christian would you vote for a conservative candidate or isnt Christian or subscribes to a different branch of Christianity ?
Surely a conservative candidate or candidates in general who isnt a Christian is better then a Christian who breaks the law (read Nixon ) ?
why is Romney Christian beliefs even an issue ?

[edit on 12-5-2007 by xpert11]

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 01:49 AM
link   
The Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (Mormons) is not simply just another branch of Christianity, it has some major, major differences with the rest of Christendom. I think most Christians wouldn't have a problem with voting for a Christian in another branch of Christianity, but most Christians don't even consider Mormons as Christians since their beliefs are so alien to basic Christian beliefs.

I'm really not sure how much religion would factor into my personal vote. I think the worst person to elect would be a devout atheist. But I think I would have a bit of a problem voting for a Mormon -- probably more so than voting for a Jewish person.

But I wouldn't count it out. If Romney wins the Republican primaries and gets the nomination, I'd vote for him over say Hillary.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Here in New Zealand the main stream conservative party's haven't been hijacked by Christian extremists. So providing that the Church and the State remain separate a candidates religious beliefs are there business. I judge a candidate by there economic and other platforms and there integrity.
Unless the Destiny New Zealand party gains some seats at the next election my stance wont change.

In 2002 Ashraf Choudhary pledged allegiance to the Queen on his copy of the Koran and the sky has yet to fall in. Two out of the last three significant social law changes (civil unions , legalizing prostitution ) have been passed by a conscience vote.

new topics

join