It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H. J. Res. 16: Proposing an amendment to the Constitution to repeal the sixteenth amendment.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the sixteenth article of amendment.

H. J. Res. 16

Full text of the bill.

The bill is Sponsored by Representative Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the sixteenth article of amendment.

H. J. Res. 16

Full text of the bill.

The bill is Sponsored by Representative Steve King, a Republican from Iowa.

The Sixteenth Amendment:

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.

Sixteenth Amendment

Interesting.
Not quite sure what I think of this yet.

[edit on 5/12/2007 by Alien42]

[edit on 5/12/2007 by Alien42]

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I like this idea, as what it effectively does is eliminates the Income Taxes that we all have to do at the end of every year. can you imagine how much I'd be able to keep then? A BUNCH!!

On the other hand, all other taxes would most assuredly go up in response to this, and then there'd be no way to get anything back at the end of the year. So, now that I think about it, I dunno really what I think of it either.

I think it would work best if it's in conjunction with another amendment addition that made all taxes levied against people a flat one. That way, there'd be no way to raise them at any point. Just allocate a % of someone's income off to taxes every paycheck, and that be it. No more taxing us for gas, along with every other stupid thing. Make the world easier to live in for those of us that are having troubles. I've always been an advocate of the KISS ideology. I think our representatives need to do the same.

TheBorg

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I disapprove of this wholeheartedly, there is a reason we have income tax, now that
said I don't necessarily approve of the way we have it set-up, but that is another matter altogether.

I sincerely doubt this will actually go anywhere, but if it does, I'll be one of the people calling
my representatives telling them not to vote for it.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
I disapprove of this wholeheartedly, there is a reason we have income tax

Now what, pray tell, is that reason? I've been anxious to hear what good purpose we could have for the income tax. If you say that it'd provide for basic infrastructural support, then I'd beg to differ, as there are other ways to accomplish that without taxing the people so twice for the same income.

TheBorg

[Edited for clarity of intent.]

[edit on 12-5-2007 by TheBorg]

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   
It's purpose. at least the purpose I see it having, is wealth redistribution.

When the system is run correctly, it takes the excessive amount of money from the
rich and redistributes that money to the poor.

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 01:11 AM
link   

When the system is run correctly, it takes the excessive amount of money from the

When has it ever done that?

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alien42

When has it ever done that?

When you get your taxes back, I did'nt say it works perfectly, if it did the rich would
get little to no money back.

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 02:49 AM
link   

When you get your taxes back, I did'nt say it works perfectly, if it did the rich would
get little to no money back.

Why not just have the tax bracket start at a specific level, so that those that fall below that bracket don't have to pay any taxes? If however, you make more than the baseline, you start paying a flat % to the government in taxes. Naturally, that amount will be higher, based on how much money you make.

Honestly, there's no reason to redistribute wealth, as much as there is a need to just not tax the people too excessively. The biggest reason people are having such a fit right now over taxation is because we're being taxed far too much for what we get in return. One flat tax would solve all of that.

Again, just my opinion.

TheBorg

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 07:33 AM
link   

It's purpose. at least the purpose I see it having, is wealth redistribution.

Wealth redistribution? where have I heard that before...

Seriously, Taxes are great. They pay for the things we need to function as a society, things like schools, cops, and even national defense. But these are all things paid for by OTHER taxes, not the Federal Income Tax.

The Federal Income Tax goes towards paying the debt we as a nation owe the "Federal" Reserve and to fund "Black Projects" that cannot be accounted for. None of your F.I.T. goes towards anything that will benifit you, your community, or your Government.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I don't know why anyone who thought about it for more than five minutes would support the income tax.
Look at what the government does with our money. The more money a government has,the less freedom the people have.
Frankly I'm tired of paying for bombs to blow up brown people half way around the world. I would rather see my money go to health care for people,or to help the elderly and schools.

new topics

top topics

join