It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War's what you want.. YOU GOT IT!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I've been living in a hole since October. I've been paying my rent but stopped paying the hydro as of November or December. With all the problems and losses I've had it seemed only fair.

Since I moved in I have not had a working fridge and stove, I've lost over $1000 of food because of them not working. There is no hot water pressure in the bathroom, the bathtub from the apartment upstairs leaked and has caused my walls to look like drooping drapes and there is mold growing now. The floor in my bedroom are wood tongue and grove boards but were not laid properly so now if you step on it your socks get stuck under the boards or your feet get pinched. There are no fire alarms in the place. Also they would turn the heat down in the winter when it wasn't so cold and then FORGET to turn it back up when it was freezing, so I spent many nights shivering trying to sleep.

I've written my landlord NUMEROUS times about correcting these issues and he has done NOTHING to correct any of them until last month he FINALLY replaced my fridge and said the stove would come the next day and never did. Also my hydro costs should have been readjusted when the guy in the basement brought in a washer and dryer.

At the beginning of this month he came to pick up the rent and asked if he'd get any money for the hydro bill and I told him in a week to shut him up. He also informed me that we was going to lock the back gate shut because he's worried about these mirrors he's got in the back and the gate doesn't always get closed. He doesn't realize that locking the gate permanately is against fire code regulations as is not having working fire alarms. I didn't think he would because he's a pot head and never gets around to anything.

Well last night he called me and asked me for the hydro and I asked him for my stove and that I wouldn't pay till I got it. This morning on the way to work I get to the gate to see that it is permanently screwed shut and I guess someone tried to serve me papers but I wasn't home so I didn't receive anything.

I don't think he realizes what he's up against. My boyfriend is a law student so I know the ball is in my court this time around. My landlord is going to be in for the shock of his life when his world comes crashing down since I've already started to take legal action against all of these problems. If WAR is what he wants that is what he will get!
:bash:
He's bargained for more than he can handle!!!:bnghd:

[edit on 5/11/2007 by JeSuisAKittyCat]

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Good luck! I have two horrible legal things going on right now, and it must feel really nice to KNOW that you have the law on your side and that you'll see justice.

Go get 'em girl! Slumlords deserve to have every book thrown at them and then sleep naked in a cage full of starving rats.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 05:22 AM
link   
No one should have to put up with living conditions like that! Ever! I assume that moving is out of the question or you would have done so.It also sounds like you have done your homework on this.It's amazing what some landlords think they can get away with.Let them live in there for awhile and see what gets fixed. If only. I say do whatever you have to do, but be ready for the backlash from your landlord.If possible maybe try to look for somewhere else to live even if you have to have a roommate to split the cost it might be better than where you are.Good Luck to you.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
Good luck! I have two horrible legal things going on right now, and it must feel really nice to KNOW that you have the law on your side and that you'll see justice.

Go get 'em girl! Slumlords deserve to have every book thrown at them and then sleep naked in a cage full of starving rats.

I've seen messages from you stating that you are going through custody or some sort of issues with the father of your children and I wish you all the best of luck. My daughters father is off to cancun for a week and can't even pick up the phone to call her long distance. I hope he gets beats like those other Canadians in Mexico because he deserves it!!

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
No one should have to put up with living conditions like that! Ever! I assume that moving is out of the question or you would have done so.It also sounds like you have done your homework on this.It's amazing what some landlords think they can get away with.Let them live in there for awhile and see what gets fixed. If only. I say do whatever you have to do, but be ready for the backlash from your landlord.If possible maybe try to look for somewhere else to live even if you have to have a roommate to split the cost it might be better than where you are.Good Luck to you.

Moving was out of the question as funds were not available until recently. I have a new place lined up for August 1st.

I keep saying that maybe he should try to live in this place to deal with the problems, at least he would fix them because he does in his apartment but no where else.

I've only ever had one problem with a slumlord before and it was that he didn't fix the heating system so my daughter ended up in an oxygen tank for 2 days because we were out of heat for 3 of the coldest days in the winter. I didn't pay my rent and got away with it because I threatened to sue him in turn for putting my daughter in the hospital. My biggest concern is the mold in this place now because I'm pregnant.

[edit on 5/12/2007 by JeSuisAKittyCat]

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Do you have a rentalsman where you live? Here in Saskatchewan if we have a problem all we have to do is go to the rentalsman's office and pay something like 10 bucks and file a dispute. They will come and look at the apartment and if there is something that needs fixing the rentalsman will tell the landlord to fix it and if the landlord doesn't comply the rentalsman will get his own men in to fix it and BILL THE LANDLORD.

I suggest checking to see if you have anything like this where you live.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by CPYKOmega
Do you have a rentalsman where you live? Here in Saskatchewan if we have a problem all we have to do is go to the rentalsman's office and pay something like 10 bucks and file a dispute. They will come and look at the apartment and if there is something that needs fixing the rentalsman will tell the landlord to fix it and if the landlord doesn't comply the rentalsman will get his own men in to fix it and BILL THE LANDLORD.

I suggest checking to see if you have anything like this where you live.

Thanks.. I'm in Ontario and I will look into it.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I find it astonishing that you came to BTS before looking at this....

www.ontariotenants.ca...

Good Luck!

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
I find it astonishing that you came to BTS before looking at this....

www.ontariotenants.ca...

Good Luck!

I had taken a look at the landlord and tenants act website long before this post was made.. thanks for the extra information.

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Oh my- you have one child and another on the way! Mould is definitely a health issue and I am glad to hear you have found another place to live.I did not know you had a child(not mentioned in your first post).That definitely makes your situation that much more serious.Sometimes as adults we can put with a bad situation for awhile, but to put our children through it is something else entirely.The stress of all this is not good for you either(pregnancy wise). Please do keep calm and make sure that you and your child come first,and everything to do with your landlord second. I can't even imagine having no fridge or stove and caring for a child that way.Oh my gosh I really wish you all the best and good luck in the world with everything you are dealing with right now.

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by JeSuisAKittyCat
Since I moved in I have not had a working fridge and stove

Well I dont want to pee on your back and tell you its raining but here in Aust if you don't have a working stove, then legally you can halt the rental payments until they get one. Anyway, I cant offer anything helpful here because of where I am but you are now on my 'fix it' list and I am sending you some justice vibes

Oh grrrrrr I hate it when people are ripped off. I really do

all the best

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Oh my- you have one child and another on the way! Mould is definitely a health issue and I am glad to hear you have found another place to live.

I agree!!!! I went to look at a place and I could smell the mould and said...NO thanks straight away. It is really nasty and causes a lot of health, respiratory probs.

The stress of all this is not good for you either(pregnancy wise). Please do keep calm and make sure that you and your child come first,and everything to do with your landlord second. I can't even imagine having no fridge or stove and caring for a child that way.Oh my gosh I really wish you all the best and good luck in the world with everything you are dealing with right now.

oh
you have a child and one on the way and having issues with your landlord....?

(sorry, I didnt get to the end before my 1st response)
I see so many people getting screwed by people or the system and I get so furious.

Whatever happens, dont ever give up. There are people who care and I am one of them. u2u me anytime...

[edit on 13-5-2007 by NJE777]

[edit on 13-5-2007 by NJE777]

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Oh my- you have one child and another on the way! Mould is definitely a health issue and I am glad to hear you have found another place to live.I did not know you had a child(not mentioned in your first post).That definitely makes your situation that much more serious.Sometimes as adults we can put with a bad situation for awhile, but to put our children through it is something else entirely.The stress of all this is not good for you either(pregnancy wise). Please do keep calm and make sure that you and your child come first,and everything to do with your landlord second. I can't even imagine having no fridge or stove and caring for a child that way.Oh my gosh I really wish you all the best and good luck in the world with everything you are dealing with right now.

My daughter is not with me right now because of these problems which had caused me financial difficulties. She's staying with my parents at the moment until I move. It kills me not to have her with me,
but I would rather her be safe then to deal with these problems.

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by NJE777
Well I dont want to pee on your back and tell you its raining but here in Aust if you don't have a working stove, then legally you can halt the rental payments until they get one. Anyway, I cant offer anything helpful here because of where I am but you are now on my 'fix it' list and I am sending you some justice vibes

I considered not paying my rent but I didn't want to be evicted so I continued to pay my rent and halted paying my hydro/gas bill instead. Even though it is quite a lengthy process to be evicted, takes around 6 months, I didn't want to have that against me and affect me getting a new place to live causing me to be stuck here longer.

I have 2 1/2 months left to live in this place before I move into my new place. I don't have to pay last months rent as I put a deposit down. I am SERIOUSLY considering not paying next month. On Monday I'm going to legal aid to find out what I should do that is within the law and my rights.

Thanks for your support and justice vibes.. means a lot!!

[edit on 5/13/2007 by JeSuisAKittyCat]

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Je suis Kitty MEOW -

Once sued a landlord named Somody - he was entering the apartment without notice, raising the rates beyond the legal limit, blah, blah, blah - Horrible man with a mansion.

It was settled in my favor. The money was nice, but what I really enjoyed was addressing him as Sodomy, a typo, or in court - heheh Somody oh yes, yes, Sodomy.

Edn

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I'm not one for suing people. I assume you'll also be calling the health and safety inspectors? I know ofer here in the UK at least we have laws which dont allow such buildings to fall into such a state.

Out of curiosity what are you suing him for? Just unfair rent or 'emotional damage' and all that crap as well (don't take me the wrong way if im sounding annoyed at you i'm not
)

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
Out of curiosity what are you suing him for? Just unfair rent or 'emotional damage' and all that crap as well (don't take me the wrong way if im sounding annoyed at you i'm not
)

I'm not sure if I'm suing at this point.. I don't really know what to do at this point. All I know is that he's gone to a lawyer to try to claim the unpaid hydro bill that I haven't paid because of these problems, so tomorrow morning it's off to legal aid to talk to a lawyer about it all and find out what I can and cannot do.

I have made one phone call to date about 2 violations. There will be legal action against him, if it's a first offence which I believe it is, the fine will be a minimum $1,000. There are still 2 other phone calls that will be made but I'm waiting to speak with the lawyer about them.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
well I hope the best and I hope that landlord learns his lesson what you spoke of him doing and all that is not right in the least.

God bless

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Heres a thought, yall ever heard of judge judy?

Get their backsides on T.V. and embarass them in fron of the whole USA. As well as win off course..... Judey would tear dem to shread

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by spencerjohnstone
Heres a thought, yall ever heard of judge judy?

Get their backsides on T.V. and embarass them in fron of the whole USA. As well as win off course..... Judey would tear dem to shread

I don't live in the USA so no Judge Judy for me

top topics

<<   2 >>

join